User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thought I was INFJ. Tested as INFP?

wants Mifune clone minion Array Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    That's curious, Z Buck. I've never ran across that with these before. So even with all the future-thinking emphasis in the INFJ blurb versus the emphasis on values and healing in the INFP blurb? Do you know exactly what it is that you identify with more in the INFP one and less in the INFJ one? I am so curious.
    Not long ago I lauded the enneagram descriptions of some site (can’t remember which off hand) to a friend- because the e5 descriptions were always so spot on to me and hit so much closer to home than other sites. The friend told me it’s the only site she didn’t like because she couldn’t relate to their e4 descriptions at all (and after reading a few books and several sites, she decided she’s definitely e4). So maybe it’s just the INFJ description. [I hear you though- my initial reaction to my friend was "...but....the e5 descriptions are so good!"]

But anyway, yeah. It took me a while to understand why Ni is described as “future orientated”- while I can see it now after being in the forum a couple years and having many conversations about it, I would never have really considered anything about myself “future orientated” before. I can recognize now it’s the reason I get anxious about things- like needing my keys to be in the same place, I already know from experience that it can easily take me four hours to find them so I’m proactively adamant about putting them in one spot. But the ‘future orientation’ influence is sorta like an underlying force that I didn’t recognize till it was brought to my attention here in the forum. It’s emphasized a little too much in that synopsis, imo- kinda like saying “you can recognize the lack of SLR in cameras when the image you actually get back from the film is slightly different from what you saw in the viewfinder.” <- For that description to be at all useful, a person has to understand what SLR is (single lens reflex- it means what you see in the viewfinder is going directly through the lens instead of giving you a guesstimate view like old cameras would), and they have to have used the camera enough times to realize part of their image was consistently getting cut off on one side.

Basically, that INFJ description makes INFJs sound so goal-oriented and ‘GET ‘ER DONE!’ that I would never have related to it. In comparison to INFPs- yes, I suppose I do feel more goal oriented (at least where my interaction with the external world is concerned- I like things settled externally because that frees up energy for internal exploration). But I definitely do not feel goal-oriented compared to most people. I feel distracted by a need to maintain integrity, distracted by a need to explore self-actualization of myself and others (a ‘goal’ I believe all NFs feel a certain predilection to)….the stuff I’ve always been far more aware of isn’t even really listed in the INFJ description, yet it is in the INFP description. I honestly believe that stuff is as important to INFJs (by virtue of NF idealism)- it’s just that INFPs approach it from a different angle. I don’t think INFPs are *more* interested in values or healing- it’s just that it’s a more immediate and external process for them (so more ‘apparent’ on the surface).

Also: “They trust their inspirations and visions”…..that phrase alone would make me reticent to choose that description. I’ve never trusted my intuitions and vision anywhere near as much as retrospect tells me I should have, because it’s so hard to articulate and I’m so loathe to impose my own vague ‘impressions’ on other people. Truth be told, I’ve known a couple INFJs who do trust their ‘inspirations and visions’- without really questioning it- and they’re pretty heinous to deal with. So while I do need to learn to give my gut feeling more weight…..I never want to get to the point where I simply *trust* the impressions without thinking about it. So there’s a level of confidence implied in that description that I’ve never felt, I don’t even want to feel- and that I actually feel somewhat threatened by. [eta: fia mentioned being "non-controlling to a fault" and I very much relate to that. I can't begin to describe how often in the past I had a sense that something was off and I just went along with it because I didn't want come off as controlling- only to have it proven a very reasonable doubt on my behalf. So that's why I've said I'm working on trusting my gut feeling more and being okay with being obstinate about not going along with something, even when I can't explain it. At this point in my life I feel confident in the notion that anyone who pressures me into going along with something before I feel okay with it- and tries to make me feel 'controlling' for simply being slow to process- is probably someone who shouldn't be in my life to begin with.]

Overall the problem I have with that synopsis is similar to the problem I have with Fe descriptions- I've always related far more to Fi descriptions than Fe descriptions. I think because the descriptions make the mistake of describing a 'product' (values, etc) of the functions rather than the means of getting that product. NiFe and FiNe often end up with the same product, though they take different roads to get there. There's little doubt in my mind I'm one of the J-est damn Js that ever did J.

What you said about being very particular about a few certain things holds true for other IxFJs I know as well. Whereas most IxFPs I know are just kinda messy. :]
    Yeah, I’m pretty sure I’ve noticed that INFJs often admit to being messy- yet throw in a rather firm “I just need to know where everything is” stipulation. That least Se anxiety over things in the external environment is a bitch.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Very close J/P scores often but not always suggest the actual type of the test taker is P. This is due to the societal pressure of J behavior being more desirable, particularly in the workplace or in a school setting.

Have you taken a cognitive functions test?

I'd be interested to see how you score.
    First, I'd like to thank you all for your responses. I have taken a cognitive functions test here:

and my results hint at why I was confused. Here they are:

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************* (25.1) average use

introverted Sensing (Si) ******************* (19.3) limited use

extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ******************* (46) excellent use

introverted Intuiting (Ni) ******************* (43.7) excellent use

extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************* (16.2) limited use

introverted Thinking (Ti) ******************* (19.5) limited use

extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************** (30.8) good use

introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************(38.6) excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
    By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
    Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
    Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Again, thank you for this suggestion. It seems very true that society likely influences P types to feel pressured to have more J like qualities. Perhaps, my own behavioral expectations were heavily influenced by my very INFJ mother. I think it's likely. From the the above test, it's clear my Te, Ti, Si, and Se are my most underdeveloped functions, while I have "excellent" development of both Ni and Ne (which probably contributed to my confusion over type). My Ne is only slightly more developed than my Ni. I think pursuing photography ( i just recently acquired a fancy smancy DSLR) will help develop my Se. It seems my Ne (auxillary function in INFPs) is more developed than my Fi. Can anyone help me figure this out. Shouldn't Fi be most developed if I am an INFP?

This test nevertheless helped me gain a better and more thorough understanding of my type. I feel more confident I am an INFP now. It just seems I convinced myself I was INFJ very well, but understandibly now. Comments and further discussion welcome

INFj None

I almost always score INFP on tests. I think it's because it's hard to come up with good questions for iNtuitive Judgers. I don't look like a Judger on the outside compared to an SJ, but my Fe preference is pretty pronounced.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers