• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ's and saving people

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Why do some INFJ's do this?

Is it because they themselves want to be saved? a form of white knight syndrome?

How come vast's song (I've always considered them INFJ or ISTP, one of the two) "Take me with you" has the lyrics "I will save you... If you save me...?"

What's the deal?

pathos

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Tl;dr version:

Fe

My attempt at a longer, albeit simplistic, explanation:

I'm sure an INFJ will tackle this much better than I can and unfortunately I've been too busy to be of much use on this site, however, INFJs have an orientation to the people around them. In particular, they have an orientation to ensuring the well-being of people around them.

People often point to an INFJs dislike of conflict, however, it's more of an INFJ valuing peace and harmony. Conflict takes energy and is often negative and emotionally overwhelming - INFJs are brilliant at being able to see both sides and often shut down during conflict in order to process the entire situation. Harmony and good relations also take work but it is far more natural for an INFJ (and far less overwhelming). Put an INFJ in a room with various stakeholders/interests and watch the INFJ work his/her Fe magic to ensure that everyone's needs are satisfied - this is where the INFJ shines and is most happy. It is important for an INFJ to be able to share this harmonious view of the world (they do utilize extroverted feeling, after all rather than the introverted counterpart). A person in need of saving is, by definition, experiencing some sort of problem, i.e. in need of resolution, harmony, peace. The INFJ is the perfect person to handle this: they believe in other people and can see the strengths within others. Saving somebody means the opportunity to bring out another person's inner strength. By helping others, an INFJ is one step closer to a more peaceful world à la Gandhi ("You must be the change you want to see in the world").

Why do INFJs care so much about other people? It is who they are.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Is it because they themselves want to be saved? a form of white knight syndrome?

How come vast's song (I've always considered them INFJ or ISTP, one of the two) "Take me with you" has the lyrics "I will save you... If you save me...?"

What's the deal?
Plausibly. Most of them probably would be better to tend to their own issues though, and aren't likely to actually save someone.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
For me, it is because I want people to have pleasant, functional, peaceful lives because that's how I like to live and I'm a trouble-shooter of interpersonal/practical problems by nature. It's hard, when I see something broken, not to try to fix it and since I'm an NF, the stuff that I notice being broken is people and their relationships.

My instinct will always be to fix things, but I've learned that I don't have to act on it and rarely do anymore. I found a partner that I don't think needs fixing. I tried to keep from breaking the kids too much so they won't need much fixing, plus if I broke it in the first place it's unlikely I'll be the best one to fix it, so I can mostly leave that be. I mostly keep to myself and stifle the urge to fix on the rare occasions it pops up because nobody likes unsolicited advice and it's not like I don't have enough wrong with me to keep me busy. And you can't fix other people anyway. We all fix ourselves or stay broken from what I've seen.

But INFJs do not have a corner on the saving people market by any means. My mom is not an INFJ and she does it all the time and to her own detriment.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Pathos, Cafe and Stanton....good answers.

Guy V. Malaxia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w4
I used to take on friends as "projects," but then I realized how big of a hypocrite I was because I have so many of my own personal problems to work on. Now my take on the subject is that it's best to focus on self improvement, which will in turn affect all those with whom I associate on a regular basis. A domino effect of sorts.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Awesome posts.

I suppose it is difficult for me to understand how someone can derive real pleasure for it and it not be some kind of double standard, even if its unconscious, as I have personally been rather turned off to helping others because the lazy moochers start to hear that I'm out giving free self esteem boosts to people, and it just turns into a cloud of parasites sucking out my energy.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to take on friends as "projects," but then I realized how big of a hypocrite I was because I have so many of my own personal problems to work on. Now my take on the subject is that it's best to focus on self improvement, which will in turn affect all those with whom I associate on a regular basis. A domino effect of sorts.
Smart Man :rock:

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ

What's the deal?

Are you talking about people who already need to be “saved” from something specific (or not necessarily specific) OR people who are heading down a “wrong” path and will need to be saved once they reach Destination Hell. People who want to be saved or want to be left alone?
People in distress cause me to feel distress too. I’ve learned to put up barriers, though, and that helps. At one time, I would confuse others’ emotions with my own and was always drained. Maybe in some ways, it’s a selfish thing. Let me save you and fix you, and then your emotions and pain won’t seep into me. I’m speaking for myself, obviously, not all INFJs. So, empathy might not be such a warm and kind thing after all. Maybe. I don’t know. Still trying to figure this out myself.
It’s not just people either. Animals too. I even feel for things that aren’t alive.
Anyway…
If someone acts bugged by my advice, I back off immediately. I’m very aware of being annoying and never want to be. If someone wants help, I help and then help and then help some more. Needy people seem to seek me out.
Maybe INFJs who are E4s are the ones who want to be saved. One thing that struck me in the E4 description is they desire to attract a rescuer. That is familiar to me…and very embarrassing to admit. I’m not even sure what I’ve ever wanted to be saved from really. Fictional characters that I’ve been obsessed with from childhood, were always rescuers.
Hoping that answers your question and makes sense. I have so many thoughts on this subject that it’s difficult to be concise and not ramble.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

That's only types 2 and 4 in enneagram. Seeing best in people etc. My ex was INFJ type 1 and there was none of this... very self-sufficient, organized person who would turn down help from others, and high ideals and standards for others. Look into enneagram types because they make a huuuuge difference in desires and motivations of MBTI types.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I am not looking to be saved or rescued. However, I would agree that:

1) Other people's negative emotions affect me a lot. It is easier for me to try to solve whatever is bothering them (because of how it impacts me), rather than just leaving it be. I think maybe INFJs have a more permeable emotional barrier. Hence the difficultly sometimes in even sorting out where the source of our emotional discomfort is originating and where the responsibility lies to deal with it.

The closer I am to someone, the more their discomfort or unhappiness or negativity affects me. This is part of the reason why someone doing something just to humour me really isn't enjoyable at all to me. Unless I know that they are feeling content as well, their accommodation doesn't help me. Hence, I often tend to overaccommodate, sometimes to the point of resentment (especially when they don't recognize that I am choosing their comfort over mine). As I've gotten older, I'm getting better about this, but it's still difficult to decide when I am overaccommodating, as part of my tendency that way is an attempt to quiet the discomfort I am feeling.

This is also a reason why I dislike larger gatherings, especially of disparate friends. I am very aware of how everyone is feeling, how they are all interacting, whether they are all comfortable and so on. The more people you add to the mix, the more there is to juggle and it's difficult to make it all work well.

2) Because I don't say anything initially when I am still gathering information, and because I have delayed processing due to Ni, many people assume that I am a lot more pliable, accepting or open than I really am. I am a fairly warm person and want to put others at ease, and sometimes that draws out the people that don't really fit in normally or that act in a socially odd manner. I've gotten better at not putting out welcome signs for those types in the same way that I used to as it has sometimes given a message I didn't intend to send.

3) There is something very satisfying in being of assistance to someone. I think every type has its area of expertise. My focus is figuring out why people act the way they do. I'm not saying I'm always right, but I think I do pay attention to human puzzles more than the average person might. I find it interesting. I also feel best when what I can offer is of use to someone in a practical way. I like to maximize the potential in other people. I don't enjoy fixing people. However, discovering where they shine best, or increasing their confidence in their own abilities is satisfying.

I think INFJs' biggest downfall is the delayed processing that doesn't always allow them to assess a situation in real time. By the time they have decided what they think about it, they are in fairly deep. They also choose other people's emotional comfort over theirs (strangely enough to increase their own comfort level), which can lead to being taken advantage of or seen as pushovers (when that is truly not the case - they actually can see what's going on and dislike it, but they also want to be seen as fair and not overemotional, so it takes awhile to prove to themselves that their initial feelings were justified and worth acting on). They often find it difficult to know at what point to bring something up, as individual instances seem too small and petty, yet they contribute to an overall picture that is very significant. It takes awhile to gather sufficient evidence for themselves that the problem is not them and that alternative action is required, particularly with people who have gained their trust.

Last edited:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I identify with pathos and cafe's answers.

DJ, it was a big surprise to me to understand from here how difficult it is for some types to listen to others vent. It had never occurred to me that they might misread my venting (a way of ridding myself of excess emotion and clarifying the problem by saying it aloud so that I could get on with solving it) or find it an annoying or debilitating burden. I think I have a tendency to overassume that people process things in the same way I do, and so it never occurs to me that they don't find that sort of thing satisfying or derive some pleasure from helping the other person in that way. My time here has made me more aware of the differences between me and other types, so that I can overtly explain how I think better to them, and so that I show appreciation (and don't overburden people) for the things they do for me that allow me to get on with dealing with the issue at hand.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It makes me happy to be a helpful resource for others, but I learned a long time ago that what I can offer has clear limits. I cannot "save" anyone, but I can possibly help anyone. I'm not terribly controlling of others, so my help tends to be offers of resources which they may or may not accept. I can be at peace about the rejection of my resources.

I do have a strong drive to help because I was the youngest in a vulnerable and scarred family. I loved being a strength to my mother and siblings, but as I've matured I've had to learn to draw boundaries so that my own needs are also met.

I also have some empathy, so when someone else is made happy, I feel it as well. This helps to motivate me to help others. I also have enough empathy to feel that it is disrespectful to assume someone needs saving. Each person is the expert of their life because on that person knows the myriad of details and nuances that drive their choices. If someone feels disrespected, I feel it too, and that is why I leave my sense of contribution as an offer and never intended as an intrusion.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What's the deal?

I'm curious as to why INFJs are being singled out here, as opposed to "NFs and saving people". Is there something particularly grating about the way INFJs go about following their 'idealism' that's leading to this question being asked? (eta: or maybe it's not grating, but my point is- what makes the INFJ version so distinct here?)

eta: also, +1 to what cafe and fid have written.

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I'm curious as to why INFJs are being singled out here, as opposed to "NFs and saving people". Is there something particularly grating about the way INFJs go about following their 'idealism' that's leading to this question being asked? (eta: or maybe it's not grating, but my point is- what makes the INFJ version so distinct here?)

eta: also, +1 to what cafe and fid have written.

I don't believe this is too far fetched. From a functional standpoint, Fe is concerned far more with external emotional atmosphere, so it would follow that those already predisposed to such would try to "reset the temperature" so to speak; whereas, those with Fi dominance tend to do so less as the temperature is mainly regulated within.
[MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION] Hi! We talked on your board yesterday

My basis is that I get a sense of pleasure from helping others. As just an INTJ gets a sense of pleasure for finding a solution for a complex problem, I feel beholden to helping others. This is to an extent, however. As just an INTJ will eventually realize whatever cogitations (Ni) moot due to infeasibility (Te), an INFJ will quickly run to "this is useless" and denounce helping the person, perhaps even becoming quite scathing in the process. It isn't unbridled or unlimited in a sainthood sense; it is on the contrary, very limited. Je is are pragmatic; as a result, there is a limitation, especially with introverts as Je takes them away from introvertedness.

Furthermore, without developed Ti, INFJs are beholden (I believe) to seeing the fault of a loved one be their fault. As the feelings of the other are cast upon them, they too "feel it" and as such become unsettled by it until they can fix it (which means fixing it in the other person). With Ti intervening, you may find some INFJs to be quite apt to say "Fuck it" and cut off.

hazelsees

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've thought more about wanting to be saved.
I am fairly independent and rarely ask for help because to do so makes me feel vulnerable. A damsel in distress is not the image I want to put out or the role I desire. However, there is something deep inside that wants to be vulnerable, I think, and that is why I related to the E4 description of wanting to attract a rescuer.
It's that I want someone to understand me so deeply and completely and still be okay with all the stuff they find--the ugly and dark as well as the bright, shiny and fun--and then maybe I can let myself be open and exposed. I imagine it to be the scariest thing in the world--to be vulnerable and let someone else be in control.
If I focus on saving others than I'm satisfying all sorts of needs for others and myself AND direct attention away from my own "stuff".

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My basis is that I get a sense of pleasure from helping others. As just an INTJ gets a sense of pleasure for finding a solution for a complex problem, I feel beholden to helping others. This is to an extent, however. As just an INTJ will eventually realize whatever cogitations (Ni) moot due to infeasibility (Te), an INFJ will quickly run to "this is useless" and denounce helping the person, perhaps even becoming quite scathing in the process. It isn't unbridled or unlimited in a sainthood sense; it is on the contrary, very limited. Je is are pragmatic; as a result, there is a limitation, especially with introverts as Je takes them away from introvertedness.

Furthermore, without developed Ti, INFJs are beholden (I believe) to seeing the fault of a loved one be their fault. As the feelings of the other are cast upon them, they too "feel it" and as such become unsettled by it until they can fix it (which means fixing it in the other person). With Ti intervening, you may find some INFJs to be quite apt to say "Fuck it" and cut off.

Interesting post, as usual.

What struck me first about your post, is that personally, I feel that way about finding a solution to a problem. I seem to particularly be drawn to social issues, and always have been. When I can figure out the why's and wherefore's for something complex, I derive special pleasure from that. Sometimes that is a person, sometimes it is a problem unrelated to a person. I think that I might really be inxj for this reason. Yes, I do lack the NT thing, but I am also described as cold and aloof by my children. :laugh: I really think I am a hybrid INJ.

As for the other paragraph, well, I am not into Ji being a primary function for INJ. But I could see how some INFJs could be adept at Ti, and that combined with their enneatype and ego fixations, might make them more enmeshed in the lives of their significant others, whether that is partners or children, etc. Since I'm not a straight INFJ I really don't know, though I will admit I've seen this behavior in at least one of my known INFJ friends.

Tabula

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
But INFJs do not have a corner on the saving people market by any means. My mom is not an INFJ and she does it all the time and to her own detriment.

Yep. Guilty as charged. :dry:

Assuming it's Fe-related, I wonder how the ways in which xxFJs go about it would differ, if at all? Or maybe the difference would be in the kinds of "broken" we'd feel a pull to help "fix?" I dunno. Don't mind me.

Elocute

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Interesting post, as usual.

What struck me first about your post, is that personally, I feel that way about finding a solution to a problem. I seem to particularly be drawn to social issues, and always have been. When I can figure out the why's and wherefore's for something complex, I derive special pleasure from that. Sometimes that is a person, sometimes it is a problem unrelated to a person. I think that I might really be inxj for this reason. Yes, I do lack the NT thing, but I am also described as cold and aloof by my children. :laugh: I really think I am a hybrid INJ.

As for the other paragraph, well, I am not into Ji being a primary function for INJ. But I could see how some INFJs could be adept at Ti, and that combined with their enneatype and ego fixations, might make them more enmeshed in the lives of their significant others, whether that is partners or children, etc. Since I'm not a straight INFJ I really don't know, though I will admit I've seen this behavior in at least one of my known INFJ friends.

Me either; have you looked into socionics? I don't like some of their teachings (e.g. face feature correlations) but I do enjoy some of their subtypes. Intuitive subtypes tend to be what we'd deem tert-dom-phillic in MBTI (it is a pathology in MBTI); however, in socionics, from my view, it seems to be those that are more introverted in their type--they still use their aux (creative in socionics) but not in a direct/conscious manner. INFJs aren't always warm, in fact, I appear cold to most or at least detatched until they get to know me.

I don't really think you can be hybridic because it would alter your aux/tert quite severely, which would change both your perception and judgement of the world. A lot of INFJs type as INTs due to their logic fixations and aptitude, but I believe this to be more due to Ni/Ti, just as INTJs can be quite internally emotional but seldom show it (Fi)--hence their 'robot' stereotype.