123 Last

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default When INFJs Dismiss Outside Input Because of the Source

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I am more likely to only consider those people I consider reliable sources (screening is first rather than later). The flaw I see with my way is that sometimes I discount some things of value because of the source they originated from, and I also tend to be reluctant to discount someone whom I trust, even if their behavior has changed since I started trusting them.
    I wanted to start a thread on the aforementioned topic because this is a flaw in the INFJ persona that I've noticed from day one. Please know I'm not saying I'm issue free. I'm just saying that INFJ's can sometimes refuse to interpret information because it goes against their preconceived notions of how that information should be presented.

Any thoughts on this?
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    Any thoughts on this?
    yeah, this is enneagram type 1, competence triad
    both 1s and 5s will dismiss you and what you're saying you can't factually back it up or rely on dubious sources, then your information doesn't look "solid" enough and gets rejected

this has very little to do with INFJs as a type, except that many INFJs are 1s and 5s or have wings into these types

I figured Te types have a keenness for source.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I only dismiss it if it's information that doesn't hold much interest to me. If it does hold interest, I'll have my doubts, but I'll factcheck or watch for new info that either confirms or contradicts it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

What I mean by source is not where the source of objective facts comes from (that's more of a Te thing). It's more, whose judgement or opinion or impressions I trust, based on my past observations of them, their interaction style, and decision making. Also, how close I am to them determines how open I'll be to their input in my own life.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    What I mean by source is not where the source of objective facts comes from (that's more of a Te thing). It's more, whose judgement or opinion or impressions I trust, based on my past observations of them, their interaction style, and decision making. Also, how close I am to them determines how open I'll be to their input in my own life.
    Oh, yeah, that. To not do that is crazy illogical to me. My God, I would have blown my brains out by now if I took everything people said to me or about me to heart.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

So it's more about their general "character"?

I can eventually tell when I've made someone comfortable, merely to presentation. I don't know what's worse. Being written off as a reliable information source (due to ideology), or lacking someone's trust (often due to perceived lack of "morals"). They're too different things though, I agree.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

For me, it's past history (if it's a person I know), ideology, motives, cultural perspective and character that I take into consideration when evaluating the reliability of information.

If it's a personal relationship, I may believe a person about their feelings or motives (or rather I'll believe that's what they believe their motives are) or whatever but that may not change the nature of my relationship with that person. Other information I've accumulated or other considerations may make information they have to offer irrelevant to me for some reason.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

For me process is as important (or moreso) than the product. Even though a stopped clock is correct twice a day, it's process is not something to be depended on simply because it was correct at some point. If a correct process is in place, then an occasional wrong answer will not throw you completely off track. For me credibility has a lot to do with stable thought processes.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

For me, there is an element of trust involved before I am open to working closely with someone, taking their advice, or allowing them input into something that matters a lot to me. I am willing to accept input in areas where the person is competent, while excluding them from areas where I think they are not.

I have a hard time imagining how you would operate otherwise, but from my time on here, I can see that some types are definitely more open to considering any person's idea or feedback, regardless of what they think of the person. For me, it is not even so much a matter of how long I have known them, or even if I like the person personally, but whether I feel they are a reliable and knowledgeable person about the subject they are wanting me to consider.

Sometimes I do write off a person's opinion completely due to their approach or what seems to me to be a demonstrated lack of competence in the area they are attempting to give advice in. This is a filtering mechanism that I use to prevent the man, the boy and the donkey syndrome. From what I've seen, Ne users or types that appear more open also have a filtering system, except it happens at the other end of things.

Both approaches have strengths and weaknesses. I think sometimes that with that openness also comes some fickleness (leading people to believe you are open to them, only to filter them out once they think you like them, as opposed to letting them in gradually), or leaving yourself open to opportunistic people whom you know very little about and feeling blindsided.

I realize my way has some downsides, but for me, the upsides outweigh them. I think I've gotten more willing to step outside my comfort zone and be a little more open than I once was, but I don't really have any yen to change who I am either. I can't operate like an ENFP, because I'm not one, so I have to minimize the problems inherent with my INFJ approach and try to balance it out a bit, while still remaining true to who I am.