• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP with high Ni?

EndlessNameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am mostly sure about my type, but there is one thing, that made me doubtful lately. I took a few cognitive fuctions test and I always scored Ni as my highest function, both Ne+Ni are very high, but it seems like I am a little bit more Ni than Ne, I even see myself more in description of Ni, than Ne. So I think that would make me an INFJ, but the problem is, my Fe on the other hand is pretty low. My fuctions looks like that: Ni,Fi,Ne,Te,Ti,Si,Fe,Se... So is it normal for ENFP/INFP to have that high Ni, or should I consider other type?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is normal for you to have some skill with Ni when Ne is your dominant function. Ne may be your main preference, but it is one part of intuition, and while you may not prefer to use Ni, in favour of Ne, it makes sense that you have some aptitude for it. The strength of your functions does NOT dictate the preference you have in using them.

My function strength is as followed: Ne=Fi, Ni=Fe, Te=Si, Se, Ti.
To some, I come across as INFP or sometimes even INFJ, due to this. It depends on the situation, when I feel that Ne does not serve me quite as well.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm no expert or anything, nor do I even have a firm grasp on my own type, but maybe you aren't an NF.

Don't take these tests too seriously either. A test is only as good as you know and answer for your own true self, let alone if the maker asked the right questions.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The function strengths as measured by those tests are misleading. It's rather difficult to put what the functions are into words, so the real idea behind the test is to figure out which function descriptions resonate more than others, and the "absolute" measure of each function is meaningless.

If you're ENFP, you'll often understand Ni types, because they express ideas in ways that you understand. Where you will see that you don't "use Ni" is when you try to follow the "twisty" way Ni intuits things. An apt analogy is to think of Si as being "inside the box" thinking (for Si doms it's a VERY good box), Ne as thinking "outside the box" (working on expanding the boundaries of the box to new realms), and Ni is neither of these: Ni tries out lots of different boxes, looking for a best-fit box. When arguing with an Ni type, it will feel like to an ENFP that the Ni type is "changing the rules on the fly" or even "moving the goal posts" when really it's just taking an "OK" box and figuring out how to make it better (such that it will fit the current circumstances - Se - better).

W

WALMART

If you look at function theory according to jontherobot, several potentialities exist for ENFP's:

Ne/Ni/Fi/Fe/Si/Se/Ti/Te

or

Ne/Fi/Si/Te/Ni/Ti/Se/Fe

or

Ne/Se/Fi/Ti/Si/Ni/Te/Fe

It depends on how you want to derive the functions mathematically. To me, it is obvious Ne dominants will also display Ni-typical traits, though perhaps under varying conditions. I can elaborate on Ne and Ni for you, if you'd like.

A question: Why do you find your Fe preference low?

KDude

This is where I think the usually inferior behavioral descriptions are more useful than function analysis. Look at Beren's interaction style (catalyst vs chart the course), look at whether you're the "enthusiastic champion" or the Hamlet who refuses to participate and says "something is rotten in Denmark.." Look at Keirsey roles - Coworkers: ENTP, ESFJ, ESFP, ENFP (Extraverted and Informative) vs Contenders: INTJ, ISTJ, ISTP, INFJ (Introverted and Directive). Don't miss the forest for the trees. I hate to say it, but sometimes these portraits are more helpful than getting bogged down in analysis.

EndlessNameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
[MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] what you descriped about Ni is exactly what I do! When I argue with someone and he says an argument I am immidiatly like "Oh this was a really good point too, I should consider also this." And I, often change the goals of the conversation, not because I want to, but because that's the way my mind works. A lot of people reproach me, that I sometimes change my mind and talk totaly different thing at the end of the conversation, than I did at the begining. And I mostly myself don't realise it. And this about chaning the boxes and finding which one is the best, is the thing I do my whole life. Always want to try something, some idea, some social group, some phylosophy, style...I see all theese possibilities and I try to find out which one best fits me and my ideas. As I said in the post, it is not only about the tests, but also I see myself more in Ni description, than Ne, even though my Ne is also very high. And that's the problem with my type. if I'd be an ENFP, my Ne should be higher than Ni. But it's not like that...Also if I'd be an INFJ my Fe would be high, but in my case is totaly shadowed fucntion...That's why I am not sure about being an ENFP or a strange kind of INFJ, or something... [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] why do you think I am not NF? [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] oh please would you be really that nice and elaborate Ne vs Ni for me? I feel like I need a little more info :)
and why my Fe is low... Well they are caring, take care of other people feelings, needs, seem to be warm, unselfish...And I am much more selfish, individualistic type, I am not very that caring type of a person, I keep my feeling and emotions to myself, I don't like to express them, and I tend to be even reckless sometimes.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Careful, sometimes Fi looks like Ni. Tbh, what you are describing sounds like Ne finding new intel and Fi taking that in, seeing how *YOU* value it, and changing the journey accordingly, leaving the destination fluid.

Correct me if i'm wrong, [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION], but Ni tends to adjust its methods and parameters to the current situation, but the destination tends to be rather fixed..unless encountering info that would somehow enrich or change the pov of the vision Ni provides you with. Still..the goal is kept in mind, from what Ive seen :thinking:

W

WALMART

Fair enough, on your assessment of Fe. I don't know if Fe users are inherently the qualities typically ascribed to them, particularly given the fact that function order is never 'theoretically' perfect...

Ne is like taking an idea and extending its scope, Ni is like taking an idea and adeptly placing it in its structure. Socially, an Ne user will likely be able to flow in conversation easily no matter the subject or circumstance. An Ni user might be more selective about the ideas explored and information conveyed. An Ne user is a natural brainstorm, a whirling pool of potentials. An Ni user can be also, but it's more confined in its ruminations. An Ne user is likely prone to rambling, an Ni user likely prone to not fleshing out enough. Both can be clever and provide wit, but Ne is more original while Ni is more referential.

So yeah. Lots of dualities, and again, not mutually exclusive. These are my best perceptions of statistical likelihoods.

Based off what you've provided thus far, I'd go with some sort of Ne type.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't say you are not an NF - I just threw it out there as a possibility, that is, if we are taking your functions tests seriously.

If those reults were accurate, then your Ni is too high to be NFP, and your Fe is too low to be NFJ.

I don't take functions quite as seriously though as many memberd do. I'm just saying, your testing is out of line with NF.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
[MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] what you descriped about Ni is exactly what I do! When I argue with someone and he says an argument I am immidiatly like "Oh this was a really good point too, I should consider also this."
This is normal Ne. Ne is always open to new ideas, especially Ne doms. (Ne aux tend to be a bit more rigid.)

And I, often change the goals of the conversation, not because I want to, but because that's the way my mind works. A lot of people reproach me, that I sometimes change my mind and talk totaly different thing at the end of the conversation, than I did at the begining. And I mostly myself don't realise it. And this about chaning the boxes and finding which one is the best, is the thing I do my whole life. Always want to try something, some idea, some social group, some phylosophy, style...I see all theese possibilities and I try to find out which one best fits me and my ideas.
This is also very much Ne: Ne is very good at jumping from idea to idea to idea, and it's the natural thought process.

Ni "looks like" it is jumping from idea to idea to idea, but really it's usually focused on a singular problem, kind of "twisting the dials" of an overall idea in order to get it to fit to the current case.

As I said in the post, it is not only about the tests, but also I see myself more in Ni description, than Ne, even though my Ne is also very high. And that's the problem with my type. if I'd be an ENFP, my Ne should be higher than Ni. But it's not like that...Also if I'd be an INFJ my Fe would be high, but in my case is totaly shadowed fucntion...That's why I am not sure about being an ENFP or a strange kind of INFJ, or something...

Here's a reasonably accessible youtube vid that gives a good introduction to Ni vs Ne:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M32HTTaowW8

Careful, sometimes Fi looks like Ni. Tbh, what you are describing sounds like Ne finding new intel and Fi taking that in, seeing how *YOU* value it, and changing the journey accordingly, leaving the destination fluid.

Correct me if i'm wrong, [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION], but Ni tends to adjust its methods and parameters to the current situation, but the destination tends to be rather fixed..unless encountering info that would somehow enrich or change the pov of the vision Ni provides you with. Still..the goal is kept in mind, from what Ive seen :thinking:
Yeah, that's mostly correct. Ne will hop from goal to goal to goal. Ni will keep the same goal (or goalposts!) and switch around the underlying "rules" so that reaching the goal is easier. To others, this looks like "moving the goalposts" because they only only see a singular underlying set of valid rules (Si version), so if you're now closer to your goal, but you didn't change anything obvious, you must have moved the goalposts. To Ni, such people appear to see the "path to the goal" as a concrete path that must be followed. Ni sees lots of paths, all equally valid, but of differing utility/ease/efficiency.

EndlessNameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Here's a reasonably accessible youtube vid that gives a good introduction to Ni vs Ne:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M32HTTaowW8
Thank you for your post and the video was also helpful...What he said about Ni, that they tend to get obssesed with one idea and than search for more and more info, it is totaly my issue, but aslo what he said Ne, like they have a lot of ideas, but don't know on which start to work as first it is pretty much my problem too... The thing is...my obsessions with ideas tend to become more unhealthy, than healthly, when I can really get myself into something I don't know where is the line, when to stop, when the idea searching is starting to be freaky...But, also when I think about the future, or about things that might happen I see so many possibilities and I don't know where to start. I need someone esle to help me make a system and to see the structure, because ideas in my head are not really in order, there are much more like "booom...idea here! Let's do it! oh...no wait...I was wrong, I have a new one, let's do rather this!" And than I need someone to tell me, "You know what...take seat, think it out and look at it againg." I really tend to jump to the idea and get excited without over thinking it. Typically Ne thing I guess

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
if you love stirring up drama and shattering clique boundaries you're an NFJ. If you're only concerned about yourself but talk about how amazingly unconcerned with yourself you are, you're an ENFP.

I hope that helps.

edit:

ok but seriously. here, watch this.

EndlessNameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
He is a goofy bastard :D ... ENFJs are terrifaing :D ... I have to say I like your sanse of humor :) . What suprissed me, what you said about ENFPs, they are serious? I mean...I think I take alot of things more serious, than I should and I need to have my dignity, but in general...Aren't ENFPs that bubly, easy-going forver children optmists? I don't know if it really goes hand by hand with being serious.
ENFPs invited hippie? :O I love you for saying that! :wubbie: Peace :D .
Okay... ENFPs want to live a simple life on the farm? Are you sure about that? Because to me, that life that ENFJs want seem much more attractive, than living on the farm :D . Actually I've always wanted an attention, know a lot of people, live in the big city and be always on the go... Some little selfish snobish part of me just wants to be a celebrity :D . But everything else you said about ENFPs...yes this is me, totaly 99,99% . Exctually...I have to say, this is the best description of ENFPs I've heard so far. Or at least the closest to my personality. And now I have a feeling like you know me, and have a camera in my house, or something, because this is really the description of me! :D I red many articles about ENFPs, where they were presented with all theese stereotypes and archetypes I couldn't really subcribe to them, but you seem like talking from the real experiences with people, not using that boring standart descriptions... I love this really! :thumbup: Big thank to you. [MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION] BTW: I don't know why...I have some strange Ne feeling from you. Just an instinct, and a guess...But didn't you think about being an ENTP?

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
He is a goofy bastard :D ... ENFJs are terrifaing :D ... I have to say I like your sanse of humor :) . What suprissed me, what you said about ENFPs, they are serious? I mean...I think I take alot of things more serious, than I should and I need to have my dignity, but in general...Aren't ENFPs that bubly, easy-going forver children optmists? I don't know if it really goes hand by hand with being serious.
ENFPs invited hippie? :O I love you for saying that! :wubbie: Peace :D .
Okay... ENFPs want to live a simple life on the farm? Are you sure about that? Because to me, that life that ENFJs want seem much more attractive, than living on the farm :D . Actually I've always wanted an attention, know a lot of people, live in the big city and be always on the go... Some little selfish snobish part of me just wants to be a celebrity :D . But everything else you said about ENFPs...yes this is me, totaly 99,99% . Exctually...I have to say, this is the best description of ENFPs I've heard so far. Or at least the closest to my personality. And now I have a feeling like you know me, and have a camera in my house, or something, because this is really the description of me! :D I red many articles about ENFPs, where they were presented with all theese stereotypes and archetypes I couldn't really subcribe to them, but you seem like talking from the real experiences with people, not using that boring standart descriptions... I love this really! :thumbup: Big thank to you. [MENTION=10984]DJ Arendee[/MENTION] BTW: I don't know why...I have some strange Ne feeling from you. Just an instinct, and a guess...But didn't you think about being an ENTP?

When I say serious, it has more to do with self deprecating humor.

In my experience, ENFP's sense of humor isn't as crude and controversial as ENFJ's.

For example, I know I can make most ENFJ's laugh when I walk up to them and ask, "so... *awkward pause*... how's your penis?" Mostly because the complete lack of social norms and awkwardness is something that makes them laugh.

EndlessNameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
When I say serious, it has more to do with self deprecating humor.

In my experience, ENFP's sense of humor isn't as crude and controversial as ENFJ's.

For example, I know I can make most ENFJ's laugh when I walk up to them and ask, "so... *awkward pause*... how's your penis?"
Yeah...I don't think you would make my laugh by asking "how is my penis" , I don't have one, so that would be an awkward question right? Question..."How is your vagine, doesn't sound so good neither... I'd rather stay in this conventional version of humor and make fun of gays and blondes...

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
First. Function tests doesent measure the actual functions, but just asks things that point out to functions or attitudes of functions. Same way as MBTI test doesent tell you your type, it just points out towards possible type.

Secondly. Ni and Ne are not even different functions(even tho function tests claim that they are). Intuition is the function and introversion and extraversion of intuition are different directions of intuition, one directed towards external world and one towards inner world.

Third. Ni works with Se, like Ne works with Si. While Se is determined by the intensity of outer object and Ni reacts to this by compiling these into one vision of the external world based on how they fit to the contents of the unconscious. In other words Ni's creates subjective vision based on intensity of external reality. Si disregards the intensity of the external object itself and is oriented by the intensity of the inner experience which the external object releases in him. Ne also doesent care about the intensity of the external object, but is oriented by the possibilities which the external object has(which is generated with the subjective experience of Si).

At this point it should be clear that by definition you cant have both Ni and Ne, except ofc you go with some new models which define functions completely differently and have so many internal conflicts because of these changes in definitions while trying to maintain similar view of the model, that they are next to useless. Basically they just use same names for bit similar things that were used by Jung on his typology when he came up with it and MBTI which is a assessment made to point out towards Jungian type.

These things like who laughs at which kind of jokes, who is the shy one, who is the stupid one etc. are not what type is about(even tho for example extraverts tend to be less why than introverts, there are still shy extraverts and introverts that are not shy), these are just stereotypes about different types, but its not what type actually is, but this is what tests looks at in order to determine probability of what your type might be. So even if you would have some characteristics or traits that Ni types often have, that doesent make you have Ni. Type is about how consciously you use your FOUR functions of thinking, intuition, feeling and sensation, and whether you trust the objective world(extraversion) or subjective world(introversion) with these functions and have distrust on the opposite.

Here is what Jung said about Ne: http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Psychological_Types#Intuition

And here what he said about Ni: http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Psychological_Types#Intuition_2

And here what he said about intuition in general: http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.php?title=Psychological_Types#Intuition_3

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
seriously, what you described sounded like total Ne to me (and you seem like a bonafide ENFP). just my two cents.

[MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] what you descriped about Ni is exactly what I do! When I argue with someone and he says an argument I am immidiatly like "Oh this was a really good point too, I should consider also this." And I, often change the goals of the conversation, not because I want to, but because that's the way my mind works. A lot of people reproach me, that I sometimes change my mind and talk totaly different thing at the end of the conversation, than I did at the begining. And I mostly myself don't realise it. And this about chaning the boxes and finding which one is the best, is the thing I do my whole life. Always want to try something, some idea, some social group, some phylosophy, style...I see all theese possibilities and I try to find out which one best fits me and my ideas. As I said in the post, it is not only about the tests, but also I see myself more in Ni description, than Ne, even though my Ne is also very high. And that's the problem with my type. if I'd be an ENFP, my Ne should be higher than Ni. But it's not like that...Also if I'd be an INFJ my Fe would be high, but in my case is totaly shadowed fucntion...That's why I am not sure about being an ENFP or a strange kind of INFJ, or something... [MENTION=15371]RaptorWizard[/MENTION] why do you think I am not NF? [MENTION=15886]jontherobot[/MENTION] oh please would you be really that nice and elaborate Ne vs Ni for me? I feel like I need a little more info :)
and why my Fe is low... Well they are caring, take care of other people feelings, needs, seem to be warm, unselfish...And I am much more selfish, individualistic type, I am not very that caring type of a person, I keep my feeling and emotions to myself, I don't like to express them, and I tend to be even reckless sometimes.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah, because it's so funny to make fun of gay people. ASSHOLE.

Yeah...I don't think you would make my laugh by asking "how is my penis" , I don't have one, so that would be an awkward question right? Question..."How is your vagine, doesn't sound so good neither... I'd rather stay in this conventional version of humor and make fun of gays and blondes...

EndlessNameless

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
yeah, because it's so funny to make fun of gay people. ASSHOLE.
Just as much as making fun of blondes, policemen, or any else random thing... I make fun of blondes and I was blonde for 16 years...Just don't take things like that seriously xD , it's funny when people take jokes seriously...I wrote, that making fun of gays is funny, because I was trolling, there is always some victim who get cought on things like theese. I just don't get it why? :D