User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Trying to imitate Ne, think its possible?

well, the past week i have had a series of revelations regarding human relations and how they work
    anyhow, i started to think about the posibility of imitating Ne, i've been using my father (the best suitable candidate to learn Ne from, since he is ENFP), memory shards from an ENFP girl i know, and to a limited extent an INTP friend, as role models of Ne
    why i may be doing this? well its simply for the ability to be more flexibile in life, also i dont think that its extremely difficult, since i dont actually want the function itself, but more to artificially learn how it operates when interacting with other human beings

but im starting to think that im stealing my own hat, and this won't achieve the expected result (but a positive result nevertheless)

and just to clear this out, im trying to immitate the NFP Ne, since its more in tune to who i really am

and spare me the whole "ure very wird bud" type posts, i know that already! put some contructive criticism

MBTI
    INTP

it's possible to immiate types or aspects of types, sure. tho from the way i understand it, it will appear awkward or clunky at first, will require a lot more effort than just being yourself (ie. mentally tiring) and won't provide the positive feedback loop your primary functions supply.

that's just from what i've gathered reading other people's posts and from my own limited efforts at trying to be someone else.

but yeah, if you're trying to understand how Ne works then i don't think you need to emulate it, but rather just watch others and read. if you simply don't like how you "work" then i can't really help you w/ that other than saying self acceptance is the first step to realizing your potential. lastly, if you're just looking for a better way to go about certain tasks then well, we each have all the tools we need to go about the business of life. my tools are different from your tools but theyre each effective in their own ways... or more colloquially, "shake what cha momma gave ya!"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Practice doing creative brainstorming.

If you're Ni strong, you're probably used to putting yourself in lots of other people's shoes -- i.e., moving "yourself" and spinning around in place to imaginatively see things from alternate perspectives.

Ne is more like "web/strand casting." Keep yourself in place and instead take each idea on its own terms, cast it out in the world / your memory banks, see what it connects.

(You are sort of taking the IDEA and spinning it all over the place instead of yourself, seeing where it could connect up with other odd ideas. You stay the same, generally; the idea is what changes in meaning.)

Another way to look at it is like a video game where you are bouncing from one idea trampoline to another but you are changing direction with each bounce. When you hit the first idea and bounce in the air, what other "trampolines" might be nearby? That are connected in SOME way to your original idea? The more varied the connection, the more Ne you're using. Some people get stuck in ruts and only look at one type of connection, but you can view that idea in zillions of frameworks and springboard to another, and then another. It's all very "real time" usually, and you have to make sure you land on another trampoline.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

I wonder...

Do NJs and SPs hate brainstorming?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I wonder...

Do NJs and SPs hate brainstorming?
    Look into that. Seriously really do.

I personaly only brainstorm when I have absolutly no other option, or if I'm stuck in a rut.

SPs, however... no clue.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Look into that. Seriously really do. I personaly only brainstorm when I have absolutly no other option, or if I'm stuck in a rut.
    You cannot be serious. Wow! Yes, I'm interested in hearing from more NJs on this -- I mean, I'm in constant brainstorm mode and actually have trouble PICKING something and doing it due to the brainstorm rush.

SFPs like to fiddle and play with things. Their brainstorming tends to be more about combining things together to see what emotions and sensations they evoke... less the abstract brainstorms.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You cannot be serious. Wow! Yes, I'm interested in hearing from more NJs on this -- I mean, I'm in constant brainstorm mode and actually have trouble PICKING something and doing it due to the brainstorm rush.
    Exactly how does that work? Random ideas that might apply to a situation?

Once again that is a desperation move for me.

I get the continous stream of memories and thoughts that occasionally branch out and cross over each other, like a web. They are all connected in an very odd way.

On the rare instances when something doesn't connect, I spin a new thread regarding the instance into my web of thoughts and memories, into a place it where fits.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

SFPs like to fiddle and play with things. Their brainstorming tends to be more about combining things together to see what emotions and sensations they evoke... less the abstract brainstorms.
    I don't know if 'fiddling around' with stuff really counts as brainstorming. It's not really 'if this then this and also this and what if this blah blah blah' but more of 'let's see what this does!' Not theoretical, all experimental.

I was thinking that SJs might be more keen on brainstorming than NJs, because it offers them a wide canvas to think outside of what they know. Sure, it has to do with Ne, but because of the way Si works with noticing EVERYTHING it would be more helpful to get EVERYTHING down on paper and sort it out from there.

With NJs, how Ni works is that it always (well, usually) knows the answer. Brainstorming is an immediate, internalized, automatic process with flash conclusions -- thus the NJ does not want to search through any more answers and just wants to get down to business.

The only time when I brainstorm is when I really don't like the answer that's already in my head. I guess I'm just rebelling.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

I think this is a good approach. It's hard to understand the functions until you consciously practice using them, and objectively evaluate your ability to do so. I do this with my little-used functions.

Just start generating all kinds of crazy possibilities without evaluating either their subjective or objective validity. (Heh. Sometimes this comes way too easily for me. A friend recently told me, "tell your Ne to sit down!" ) Once you've done that, go back and evaluate their validity and probability.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Exactly how does that work? Random ideas that might apply to a situation?
    Well, it isn't random, it's like what I described above.

Example: You say, "hat," I get almost immediately:
    - cat in the hat
    - cowboy
    - hair covering
    - splat
    - three-letter words
    - silly
    - clothes
    - Napolean

(I'm just listing things off, all these things and more appear all at once, just about the same time, like various-sized cracks radiating from a rock that has hit your windshield.)

Immediately, those bullets all trigger their OWN spray of ideas, all radiating in different directions. (Napolean, for example, leads immediately to dictator, short guys, French, history, Waterloo, snarky people, arsenic poisoning, horseback riding, etc.) Note how already if you compare a term in the last list to the original word "hat" I'm already diverging greatly without much effort.

The only control I offer is to choose the most "promising" cracks to follow, based on the task at hand, as best as I can tell at the time.

is this anything like what you describe?

I get the continous stream of memories and thoughts that occasionally branch out and cross over each other, like a web. They are all connected in an very odd way.

On the rare instances when something doesn't connect, I spin a new thread regarding the instance into my web of thoughts and memories, into a place it where fits.
    lol... and also remember this is what it's like to live in my brain. You only see the finished output, but during a conversation, my brain (if I'm awake) is pinging all over the place, so I'm multitasking that while trying to stay connected to the conversational thread.