• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Trying to imitate Ne, think its possible?

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
well, the past week i have had a series of revelations regarding human relations and how they work
anyhow, i started to think about the posibility of imitating Ne, i've been using my father (the best suitable candidate to learn Ne from, since he is ENFP), memory shards from an ENFP girl i know, and to a limited extent an INTP friend, as role models of Ne
why i may be doing this? well its simply for the ability to be more flexibile in life, also i dont think that its extremely difficult, since i dont actually want the function itself, but more to artificially learn how it operates when interacting with other human beings

but im starting to think that im stealing my own hat, and this won't achieve the expected result (but a positive result nevertheless)

and just to clear this out, im trying to immitate the NFP Ne, since its more in tune to who i really am

and spare me the whole "ure very wird bud" type posts, i know that already! put some contructive criticism

miked277

MBTI Type
INTP
it's possible to immiate types or aspects of types, sure. tho from the way i understand it, it will appear awkward or clunky at first, will require a lot more effort than just being yourself (ie. mentally tiring) and won't provide the positive feedback loop your primary functions supply.

that's just from what i've gathered reading other people's posts and from my own limited efforts at trying to be someone else.

but yeah, if you're trying to understand how Ne works then i don't think you need to emulate it, but rather just watch others and read. if you simply don't like how you "work" then i can't really help you w/ that other than saying self acceptance is the first step to realizing your potential. lastly, if you're just looking for a better way to go about certain tasks then well, we each have all the tools we need to go about the business of life. my tools are different from your tools but theyre each effective in their own ways... or more colloquially, "shake what cha momma gave ya!"

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Practice doing creative brainstorming.

If you're Ni strong, you're probably used to putting yourself in lots of other people's shoes -- i.e., moving "yourself" and spinning around in place to imaginatively see things from alternate perspectives.

Ne is more like "web/strand casting." Keep yourself in place and instead take each idea on its own terms, cast it out in the world / your memory banks, see what it connects.

(You are sort of taking the IDEA and spinning it all over the place instead of yourself, seeing where it could connect up with other odd ideas. You stay the same, generally; the idea is what changes in meaning.)

Another way to look at it is like a video game where you are bouncing from one idea trampoline to another but you are changing direction with each bounce. When you hit the first idea and bounce in the air, what other "trampolines" might be nearby? That are connected in SOME way to your original idea? The more varied the connection, the more Ne you're using. Some people get stuck in ruts and only look at one type of connection, but you can view that idea in zillions of frameworks and springboard to another, and then another. It's all very "real time" usually, and you have to make sure you land on another trampoline.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Look into that. Seriously really do. I personaly only brainstorm when I have absolutly no other option, or if I'm stuck in a rut.

You cannot be serious. Wow! Yes, I'm interested in hearing from more NJs on this -- I mean, I'm in constant brainstorm mode and actually have trouble PICKING something and doing it due to the brainstorm rush.

SFPs like to fiddle and play with things. Their brainstorming tends to be more about combining things together to see what emotions and sensations they evoke... less the abstract brainstorms.

Atomic Fiend

You cannot be serious. Wow! Yes, I'm interested in hearing from more NJs on this -- I mean, I'm in constant brainstorm mode and actually have trouble PICKING something and doing it due to the brainstorm rush.
Exactly how does that work? Random ideas that might apply to a situation?

Once again that is a desperation move for me.

I get the continous stream of memories and thoughts that occasionally branch out and cross over each other, like a web. They are all connected in an very odd way.

On the rare instances when something doesn't connect, I spin a new thread regarding the instance into my web of thoughts and memories, into a place it where fits.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

SFPs like to fiddle and play with things. Their brainstorming tends to be more about combining things together to see what emotions and sensations they evoke... less the abstract brainstorms.

I don't know if 'fiddling around' with stuff really counts as brainstorming. It's not really 'if this then this and also this and what if this blah blah blah' but more of 'let's see what this does!' Not theoretical, all experimental.

I was thinking that SJs might be more keen on brainstorming than NJs, because it offers them a wide canvas to think outside of what they know. Sure, it has to do with Ne, but because of the way Si works with noticing EVERYTHING it would be more helpful to get EVERYTHING down on paper and sort it out from there.

With NJs, how Ni works is that it always (well, usually) knows the answer. Brainstorming is an immediate, internalized, automatic process with flash conclusions -- thus the NJ does not want to search through any more answers and just wants to get down to business.

The only time when I brainstorm is when I really don't like the answer that's already in my head. I guess I'm just rebelling.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think this is a good approach. It's hard to understand the functions until you consciously practice using them, and objectively evaluate your ability to do so. I do this with my little-used functions.

Just start generating all kinds of crazy possibilities without evaluating either their subjective or objective validity. (Heh. Sometimes this comes way too easily for me. A friend recently told me, "tell your Ne to sit down!" :doh: :D) Once you've done that, go back and evaluate their validity and probability.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Exactly how does that work? Random ideas that might apply to a situation?

Well, it isn't random, it's like what I described above.

Example: You say, "hat," I get almost immediately:
- cat in the hat
- cowboy
- hair covering
- splat
- three-letter words
- silly
- clothes
- Napolean

(I'm just listing things off, all these things and more appear all at once, just about the same time, like various-sized cracks radiating from a rock that has hit your windshield.)

Immediately, those bullets all trigger their OWN spray of ideas, all radiating in different directions. (Napolean, for example, leads immediately to dictator, short guys, French, history, Waterloo, snarky people, arsenic poisoning, horseback riding, etc.) Note how already if you compare a term in the last list to the original word "hat" I'm already diverging greatly without much effort.

The only control I offer is to choose the most "promising" cracks to follow, based on the task at hand, as best as I can tell at the time.

is this anything like what you describe?

I get the continous stream of memories and thoughts that occasionally branch out and cross over each other, like a web. They are all connected in an very odd way.

On the rare instances when something doesn't connect, I spin a new thread regarding the instance into my web of thoughts and memories, into a place it where fits.

lol... and also remember this is what it's like to live in my brain. You only see the finished output, but during a conversation, my brain (if I'm awake) is pinging all over the place, so I'm multitasking that while trying to stay connected to the conversational thread.

Atomic Fiend

Well, it isn't random, it's like what I described above.

Example: You say, "hat," I get almost immediately:
- cat in the hat
- cowboy
- hair covering
- splat
- three-letter words
- silly
- clothes
- Napolean

(I'm just listing things off, all these things and more appear all at once, just about the same time, like various-sized cracks radiating from a rock that has hit your windshield.)

Immediately, those bullets all trigger their OWN spray of ideas, all radiating in different directions. (Napolean, for example, leads immediately to dictator, short guys, French, history, Waterloo, snarky people, arsenic poisoning, horseback riding, etc.) Note how already if you compare a term in the last list to the original word "hat" I'm already diverging greatly without much effort.

The only control I offer is to choose the most "promising" cracks to follow, based on the task at hand, as best as I can tell at the time.

is this anything like what you describe?

Very close, with me it doesn't all come at once. It's already there, always on the ready. I already know what I think.

If I read hat, I'd think hat.

If I saw an actual hat I'd probably of other things the hat looked like, but that's as far as I go regarding the hat.

lol... and also remember this is what it's like to live in my brain. You only see the finished output, but during a conversation, my brain (if I'm awake) is pinging all over the place, so I'm multitasking that while trying to stay connected to the conversational thread.
:shock:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

The main difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne can choose which ones are promising, Ni can't. There's no choice to make because it already knows. This is likely why Ni-types find it so difficult to think like Ne.

Seriously, if you said 'hat,' I'd think 'hat.'

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The main difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne can choose which ones are promising, Ni can't. There's no choice to make because it already knows. This is likely why Ni-types find it so difficult to think like Ne.

Seriously, if you said 'hat,' I'd think 'hat.'

I think I posted a while back (or maybe it was in a PM, can't remember) that Ne is a "branching" function while Ni is a "collapsing" type of function... Ni reduces a sampleset of ideas to the one likely "truth", Ne creates a collage of ideas that somehow relate to the starting idea.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very close, with me it doesn't all come at once. It's already there, always on the ready. I already know what I think.

If I read hat, I'd think hat.

If I saw an actual hat I'd probably of other things the hat looked like, but that's as far as I go regarding the hat.

Wow. Well, I guess I am open-ended, so I never know what I think until I explore the options ... i.e., all the tangents. I usually have a "default" conclusion that is the end result of the information I have, but every comment reopens the discussion for me.

Yes.

And NOW imagine being Ne-primary... like your ENTP or ENFP...
...and you get an idea of why they have focus issues.
(At least Jim Carrey gets PAID for doing it.)

I empathize with them. I clean up mentally after myself all the time, but they're often just ping-ponging around.

The main difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne can choose which ones are promising, Ni can't. There's no choice to make because it already knows. This is likely why Ni-types find it so difficult to think like Ne. Seriously, if you said 'hat,' I'd think 'hat.'

:shock:

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Why would you want to "imitate" using Ne? Don't you use it already? We all use the 4 functions, just not as well as our primary/secondary.

Brainstorming with other people works. Or try improvising a story, taking turns with another person. Make up a song while singing it to somebody. Take notice of 3 images/words/sounds/etc in your environment and try to find a connection between them.

sych0

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think I posted a while back (or maybe it was in a PM, can't remember) that Ne is a "branching" function while Ni is a "collapsing" type of function... Ni reduces a sampleset of ideas to the one likely "truth", Ne creates a collage of ideas that somehow relate to the starting idea.

This is so interesting and so right. I hear hat and think hat. However if there's something larger, I can easily break things down into their simplest form. I can really only build things up if I'm with my Ne friends. I'm good with the major building blocks of ideas (hat) but bad with the branching details (napolean??).