First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, it isn't random, it's like what I described above.

Example: You say, "hat," I get almost immediately:
    - cat in the hat
    - cowboy
    - hair covering
    - splat
    - three-letter words
    - silly
    - clothes
    - Napolean

(I'm just listing things off, all these things and more appear all at once, just about the same time, like various-sized cracks radiating from a rock that has hit your windshield.)

Immediately, those bullets all trigger their OWN spray of ideas, all radiating in different directions. (Napolean, for example, leads immediately to dictator, short guys, French, history, Waterloo, snarky people, arsenic poisoning, horseback riding, etc.) Note how already if you compare a term in the last list to the original word "hat" I'm already diverging greatly without much effort.

The only control I offer is to choose the most "promising" cracks to follow, based on the task at hand, as best as I can tell at the time.

is this anything like what you describe?
    Very close, with me it doesn't all come at once. It's already there, always on the ready. I already know what I think.

If I read hat, I'd think hat.

If I saw an actual hat I'd probably of other things the hat looked like, but that's as far as I go regarding the hat.

lol... and also remember this is what it's like to live in my brain. You only see the finished output, but during a conversation, my brain (if I'm awake) is pinging all over the place, so I'm multitasking that while trying to stay connected to the conversational thread.

MBTI
    ENFJ

The only control I offer is to choose the most "promising" cracks to follow, based on the task at hand, as best as I can tell at the time.
    The main difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne can choose which ones are promising, Ni can't. There's no choice to make because it already knows. This is likely why Ni-types find it so difficult to think like Ne.

Seriously, if you said 'hat,' I'd think 'hat.'
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The main difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne can choose which ones are promising, Ni can't. There's no choice to make because it already knows. This is likely why Ni-types find it so difficult to think like Ne.

Seriously, if you said 'hat,' I'd think 'hat.'
    I think I posted a while back (or maybe it was in a PM, can't remember) that Ne is a "branching" function while Ni is a "collapsing" type of function... Ni reduces a sampleset of ideas to the one likely "truth", Ne creates a collage of ideas that somehow relate to the starting idea.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Very close, with me it doesn't all come at once. It's already there, always on the ready. I already know what I think.

If I read hat, I'd think hat.

If I saw an actual hat I'd probably of other things the hat looked like, but that's as far as I go regarding the hat.
    Wow. Well, I guess I am open-ended, so I never know what I think until I explore the options ... i.e., all the tangents. I usually have a "default" conclusion that is the end result of the information I have, but every comment reopens the discussion for me.

Yes.

And NOW imagine being Ne-primary... like your ENTP or ENFP...
    ...and you get an idea of why they have focus issues.
    (At least Jim Carrey gets PAID for doing it.)

I empathize with them. I clean up mentally after myself all the time, but they're often just ping-ponging around.

The main difference between Ne and Ni is that Ne can choose which ones are promising, Ni can't. There's no choice to make because it already knows. This is likely why Ni-types find it so difficult to think like Ne. Seriously, if you said 'hat,' I'd think 'hat.'
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well, it's true.

Ni is a sniper rifle, Ne is a shrapnel grenade.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, it's true.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Well, it's true.

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

What, you've never heard of a non-shrapnel grenade?
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

Why would you want to "imitate" using Ne? Don't you use it already? We all use the 4 functions, just not as well as our primary/secondary.

Brainstorming with other people works. Or try improvising a story, taking turns with another person. Make up a song while singing it to somebody. Take notice of 3 images/words/sounds/etc in your environment and try to find a connection between them.
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I think I posted a while back (or maybe it was in a PM, can't remember) that Ne is a "branching" function while Ni is a "collapsing" type of function... Ni reduces a sampleset of ideas to the one likely "truth", Ne creates a collage of ideas that somehow relate to the starting idea.
    This is so interesting and so right. I hear hat and think hat. However if there's something larger, I can easily break things down into their simplest form. I can really only build things up if I'm with my Ne friends. I'm good with the major building blocks of ideas (hat) but bad with the branching details (napolean??).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]