• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Question for NFs.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Describe what 'NF' means to you in 5 isolated words.

Last edited:

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Irritancy at annoyingly juvenile questions...

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Irritancy at annoyingly juvenile questions...

Maybe this is a personality trait and therefore has nothing to do with NFs? This post undoubtedly tells me more about you than about NFs in general.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
selfless, emotional, thoughtful, indecisive, and temperamental

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I do not want to use isolated words, but I will use five:

Conflicted between principle and harmony.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That's a good one, cafe.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Not exactly 5 isolated words. Compassionate and passionate are linked.

So you're only off by one, but this was a good attempt.

Yes, they have the same root; however, they are different concepts.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, they have the same root; however, they are different concepts.

I'll agree with that, compassion insinuates a kind passion, yet passion is neutral in this respect, you can be passionate about many things that are antithetical to compassion.

Though I think that they are linked because they both stem from the same root: NF sentimentality/sensitive.

Very few people tend to be passionate who are not in strong affinity with their feelings (at least they tend to be less passionate than those who are emoitonally sensitive), and hence if those passions are aimed at a right direction:compassion could be the result.

Do you think that they are linked because of the NF emotionality, even though they depict two disparate external phenomena? Yet, I'd still say that they grew out of the same root.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
ah but to have compassion for someone doesn't mean you're passionate about them.....

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ah but to have compassion for someone doesn't mean you're passionate about them.....

Compassion needs feeling for legitimation which almost by defintion implies a passion of some sort.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
Compassion needs feeling for legitimation which almost by defintion implies a passion of some sort.

while that is true, you're more able to separate yourself from the compassion. To be passionate about something or someone means that the desire to be with and around it is higher.

When I think of compassion I think of pain or empathy towards. I do not have empathy with something or someone in which I have passion for.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?

com + passion : with, together + suffering
Compassion means experiencing someone's pain along with them.

Passion, on the other hand, as we tend to use it, just means powerful emotion. Compassion may be passionately felt, but they are different enough to be on a list with one another.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
com + passion : with, together + suffering
Compassion means experiencing someone's pain along with them.

Passion, on the other hand, as we tend to use it, just means powerful emotion. Compassion may be passionately felt, but they are different enough to be on a list with one another.

Could NFs really have compassion without that powerful emotion that you've just alluded to? Maybe this is what gave rise to that in the first place?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
Could NFs really have compassion without that powerful emotion that you've just alluded to? Maybe this is what gave rise to that in the first place?

Can they be purposeful without passion?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Can they be purposeful without passion?

I think they use the passions to give them purpose. I doubt that T is any more purposeful than F. I speculate that this is where the 'F judging function comes in' they use their passions to give direction to the compassion that has been elicited from them.

Seems to me that passion and compassion are inseparable from one another. Passion is the fundament, compassion is the edifice.