• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP versus ENFJ - difference?

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, she's all those things. Yet she has this side of her that I'm not sure fits in - she can be incredibly dismissive/cold when she perceives that someone has done her wrong or done a friend wrong (even if it's not a big deal). So IMO there is a lot of 'drama' around her. She recently dumped one of her best friends over something fairly trivial (at least to my mind) and because my daughter is the unofficial leader of the group, I'm afraid that this other girl lost most of her friends. Well, they are in highschool and it's none of my business but when I was her age I was definately more easy going about other people. On the exterior, however my daughter is open-minded, casual, and has a slightly 'alternative' vibe. She's also begging for piercings and a tattoo. :steam:

If it's any help, my ENFP best friend dropped one of our close friends because the friend didn't return an "important" phone call. When a close friend of the girl she dropped died, she didn't even give her a call to give sympathy. I found that extremely puzzling (and also a bit rude) but my ENFP best friend still feels as though our friend wronged her and refuses to budge.

I'm guessing it's a Fi thing because both my INFP cousin & brother do the same exact thing.

istpunk

MBTI Type
istp
Both ENFJs and ENFPs are a little messed up in the head. I'll put my hotdog in either one of them.

NoMoreFun

MBTI Type
ENFP
P - likes her time unstructured (yet still manages to get it all done when it needs to be - schoolwork)
- her room = complete disaster
- hates routines and often plays before working
- not really goal oriented

J - likes to finish projects
- in the end she is always prepared, never forgets to do homework,

I guess she could be an ENFP. Though she seems better at getting things done and over with than me :)

To things you wrote kind of reminded me of myself in that age. When I was 13-14 of age I would interact much more with my friends parents than anyone else on my age. Most of the adults would know me as that odd kid with an endless stream of strange questions, ideas, and suggestions.

Also, the freezing people out when they pissed me off was something I would do on occasion. I would simply decide to write off that particular person and arrange my life to have no contact with or dependence on him/her. In some cases it could be quite a lot of trouble, but I was insanely stubborn on that point.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
ENFP is a dominant Extroverted Perceiving type. ENFJ is a dominant Extroverted Judging type. The latter is very systematic about dealings with the external world, and the former is very unstructured.

The ENFP is an Introverted Judging type. Personal values are based on subjective factors. Strictly speaking, it is about what matters to the individual. ENFJ is a dominant Extroverted Judging (again), values primarily orient around the objective factor, in most cases what is valued and what is beneficial for society.
Mmm. That's pretty vague. As I grow I become more aware of how blurry lines can be. I'd say that instead of "social environment" instead of society. And even then, ENFJ's and ENFP's realize that they aren't seperate from their social environment, so it's entirely possible that self-benefit is seen as equally important to social benefit, though for me at least, that's always an intense battle.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
If it's any help, my ENFP best friend dropped one of our close friends because the friend didn't return an "important" phone call. When a close friend of the girl she dropped died, she didn't even give her a call to give sympathy. I found that extremely puzzling (and also a bit rude) but my ENFP best friend still feels as though our friend wronged her and refuses to budge.

I'm guessing it's a Fi thing because both my INFP cousin & brother do the same exact thing.

Your friend sure is an asshole. Tell her I said that! :yes:

I would be so miserable if that happened with me. Just sitting around thinking about "What if I hadn't defriended her? Maybe she'd still be alive!" Even if she hadn't gotten into drugs and gone down a bad path the flow of events would've still be different if she hadn't defriended her.

Absolutely terrible...

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Chris, if I understand correctly, it wasn't the ENFP's ex-friend that died, it was a friend of the ex-friend. And she wouldn't call the ex-friend to offer sympathy.

But in regards to that, yes. I'll give them plenty of chances, but if they cross that line, I will treat them very coldly.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
LOL! That's J Jumping to conclusions about what the poster said! Well, technically Fe...

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
Chris, if I understand correctly, it wasn't the ENFP's ex-friend that died, it was a friend of the ex-friend. And she wouldn't call the ex-friend to offer sympathy.

But in regards to that, yes. I'll give them plenty of chances, but if they cross that line, I will treat them very coldly.

I do that as well, typically in romantic relationships. However, I've noticed that my plenty of chances go unnoticed by the recipient and they act like they were without warning from me. Which I think is odd since I'm pretty expressive and clear, so I'm not sure if it is my nice nature of delivering 'warnings' or what.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
From what I've seen of the two types, ENFPs are more focused on being awesome, and ENFJs on making other people awesome.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yes, I have a tendency to think an ENFJ would slot into the 'unofficial leader of her group' role easier than an ENFP.

ENFPs have a tendency to be there sometimes, and be absent other times. We're not consistent enough. :p

Exactly!

alicia91

Hmmm....she sounds ENFP is most ways but she's got some of those leadership qualities of the ENFJ. I think she's a leader not because she's in any way strategic/objective or purposely trying to make others look good - it's more that she's just incredibly enthusiastic about what she's involved in and it rubs off. I'm going to brag (;)) and say that she's got some kind of charisma that people are drawn to.

On a side-note - her social life is killing me. She's gone to 4 grad parties between yesterday and today, had a friend sleep over and is now she's at the movies. I think our home is just a hotel for her. :( I guess that's the life of an extravert. I wouldn't know.

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
On a side-note - her social life is killing me. She's gone to 4 grad parties between yesterday and today, had a friend sleep over and is now she's at the movies. I think our home is just a hotel for her. :( I guess that's the life of an extravert. I wouldn't know.

I actually spend a lot of time on the internets eventhough I'm an extravert! Heck I rarely hang out with people or go to parties.

cn1234567890

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm an ENFP and I'm pretty sure my sister is an ENFJ... She is neat and organized..Her room is neat and she makes me clean up the bathroom we share when I get too messy..My room is not in shambles but I have clutter on everything that is not the floor. She's not as tough emotionally as me though..for her there is a straight and narrow right and wrong way things are supposed to be and it really hurts her when people let her down and she lets it show. I'm more "whatever" which can get me into trouble because I can end up in bad relationships I'm not judgmental enough to get out of. She is more pushy than me too.. I guess imposing her values on other people who might not understand it. She's very motherly..

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
From what I've seen of the two types, ENFPs are more focused on being awesome, and ENFJs on making other people awesome.

This seems about right.

ENFJs also tend to seem--by all appearances, anyway--to just have their lives together. Most ENFPs I know have taken awhile to get there, if they're there at all.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
I do that as well, typically in romantic relationships. However, I've noticed that my plenty of chances go unnoticed by the recipient and they act like they were without warning from me. Which I think is odd since I'm pretty expressive and clear, so I'm not sure if it is my nice nature of delivering 'warnings' or what.

Actually, that's an interesting point.

When I say I give them lots of chances, I don't think I actually warn them that they actually are chances. It's more like - if they do something bad/hurtful/whatever, I'll be miffed but forgive them pretty easily. And they'll do it again, and I'll forgive them again. And so on and so forth until I eventually decide that they've been doing it far too long and that's when I 'suddenly' act all cold.

From my point of view, they have to cross me a LOT before I'll get to that stage, but I can see why to the other person it might be a bit unexpected.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
Actually, that's an interesting point.

When I say I give them lots of chances, I don't think I actually warn them that they actually are chances. It's more like - if they do something bad/hurtful/whatever, I'll be miffed but forgive them pretty easily. And they'll do it again, and I'll forgive them again. And so on and so forth until I eventually decide that they've been doing it far too long and that's when I 'suddenly' act all cold.

From my point of view, they have to cross me a LOT before I'll get to that stage, but I can see why to the other person it might be a bit unexpected.

I was like that about 5 years ago. And now, I don't even really say 'this is a chance' but I do make it clear that this is not something I like and is a dealbreaker for me depending on the situation.

Ex. one guy I dated talked about his ex (from 4 years ago) constantly and still with a lot of anger and emotion. After a month in, I started telling him that it was bothering me. It continued. Then I would sit him down and state clearly that this bothers me so much that if it does not stop or you do not seek help, I will not be able to continue the relationship. It continued. At this point, I was just as irritated at him not taking my reasonable request to stop talking about his ex (ALL the time) as I was that he was still actually doing it. He thought that he could still talk about her, but would try to tone down the emotion but still didn't really listen to my request.

And in all acutality, I really don't have a problem talking about ex's -- however, I felt he did it excessively and the emotional factor he had going on is what bothered me initially, but then the bigger problem in some ways was his refusal to accomodate my needs and feelings.

For me, I've realized that I can confuse people since I don't always react consistently (to outsiders minds, LOL.) So to avoid a long drawn out potentially bad relationship I've changed some ways I approach and handle things.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ

Yea, it was the friend of the ex-friend.

If she gave the girl multiple chances, then she kept them to herself. However, it's very common for many things to bother her without her expressing them so that very well could be the case.

The Ni/Fe in me strives to immediately resolve conflict - if someone wrongs me, I want to talk about it & make things better thus reaching closure as soon as possible. If I cut someone off, they damn well knew it was coming. Neither way is right or wrong, but I guess that's why I couldn't understand why she did what she did.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I think she's a leader not because she's in any way strategic/objective or purposely trying to make others look good - it's more that she's just incredibly enthusiastic about what she's involved in and it rubs off. I'm going to brag (;)) and say that she's got some kind of charisma that people are drawn to.

That sounds VERY ENFP to me. My best friend doesn't lead like a "J", she leads because she is so enthusiastic & people are drawn to her enthusiam. How is your daughter with follow through? I find my best friend is good at getting things going, but tends to leave the follow through to other people. Provided if she's excited enough about something, she will stick to it but her strength is more in the beginning of a project.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My experience:

ENFJ's tend to charm people.
ENFP's tend to be charmed by people (but not necessarily fooled by charming people ;)).

ENFJ's are well aware of their impact on people.
ENFP's are not.

ENFJ's are willing to do a lot for people, they are even ready not to be themselves if the group harmony requires so.
ENFP's are not willing to sacrifice against their strongest beliefs (Fi!).

ENFP's are more random but their (almost) every thought is connected (Ne!) even if other people don't see the connection (lack of Ne, LOL).
ENFJ's are great leaders and very gifted in people management.

Both types talk A LOT.
ENFJ's feel very warm.
I'm not so sure about ENFP's.
ENFP's can feel very strange. :smile:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
My experience:

ENFJ's tend to charm people.
ENFP's tend to be charmed by people (but not necessarily fooled by charming people ;)).

ENFJ's are well aware of their impact on people.
ENFP's are not.

ENFJ's are willing to do a lot for people, they are even ready not to be themselves if the group harmony requires so.
ENFP's are not willing to sacrifice against their strongest beliefs (Fi!).

ENFP's are more random but their (almost) every thought is connected (Ne!) even if other people don't see the connection (lack of Ne, LOL).
ENFJ's are great leaders and very gifted in people management.

Both types talk A LOT.
ENFJ's feel very warm.
I'm not so sure about ENFP's.
ENFP's can feel very strange. :smile:

Yes, I agree with most of this. :)

I do have a minor quibble with the group harmony comment. Whenever people say this I always envision some poor ENFJ pulling their hair and screaming "why can't we all just get along!" while people are breaking chairs over other people's head. I personally am more than willing to pick up a few chairs myself and tell people to calm the hell down with physical coercion if all else fails.

While I do go along to get along depending on the context of the situation, there are very clear limits that should not be crossed. I'm not conflict seeking, but I don't avoid it if I think it will bring about greater harmony. In the past, I've instigated what most people would see as conflict because I thought there was a larger problem lurking beneath the surface preventing true harmony. I think conflict and harmony should be scaled and ratioed or something mathematical like that.