• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] How to Ceaselessly String Along an ENFP

Algora J

Anyhow, I was consulting with a male ENFP friend of mine, and he has been trapped in circulating thoughts of why his relationships ended and never seems be able to move on.

We've dissected some reasons for this, and I believe ENFPs- male or female, tend to have problems ending relationships and ceaselessly hang on despite the fact that it is made clear to them that the relationship is OVER.

Anyhow, here is a list on how to string along an ENFP:

1. Criticize them about their looks, intelligence and lifestyle choices. ENFPs have a masochistic side, have low opinions of themselves and will immediately be attracted to and attach themselves to anyone who criticizes them. Ironically ENFPs will not like people who are actually respectful and nice to them. Since ENFPs are the most common type in the population, this is where all the ridiculous pop psychology books "He's just not that into you" and "The Rules" come from. These are made for the ENFP.

2. Use them for sex. ENFPs believe sex is a sign of love, in polar opposite to the way NTs think sex is an EXPRESSION of sexual desire. Sexual desire does not necessarily equate love. However, ENFPs will hang on to a relationship as long as there is sex involved, because to them, sex IS love and what they value the most in a relationship of the opposite sex.

3. You might be feeling guilty about hurting an ENFP, so occasionally you throw out a compliment to the ENFP. Do not do this. The ENFP will interpret that as a sign of getting back together. In their minds- the relationship never ended, and despite the fact that you showed clear signs that you did not want the relationship to continue, they will ironically, BLAME themselves for the end of the relationship and think that they were in the wrong and not a combination of you and the ENFP together that lead to the demise. The ENFP will turn over the events in her/his head over and over, and think she/he should've done something differently. So if you are in that break-up phase, don't compliment or say nice things to the ENFP, they will misinterpret this as a sign that you will get back together.

Anyhow, I think that covers most of it. ENFPs are sensitive, but they have a hard time letting go so it's best to quickly rip the band-aid off, then forever string them along.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyhow, I was consulting with a male ENFP friend of mine, and he has been trapped in circulating thoughts of why his relationships ended and never seems be able to move on.

We've dissected some reasons for this, and I believe ENFPs- male or female, tend to have problems ending relationships and ceaselessly hang on despite the fact that it is made clear to them that the relationship is OVER.

1. Criticize them about their looks, intelligence and lifestyle choices. ENFPs have a masochistic side, have low opinions of themselves and will immediately be attracted to and attach themselves to anyone who criticizes them. Ironically ENFPs will not like people who are actually respectful and nice to them. Since ENFPs are the most common type in the population, this is where all the ridiculous pop psychology books "He's just not that into you" and "The Rules" come from. These are made for the ENFP.

2. Use them for sex. ENFPs believe sex is a sign of love, in polar opposite to the way NTs think sex is an EXPRESSION of sexual desire. Sexual desire does not necessarily equate love. However, ENFPs will hang on to a relationship as long as there is sex involved, because to them, sex IS love and what they value the most in a relationship of the opposite sex.

3. You might be feeling guilty about hurting an ENFP, so occasionally you throw out a compliment to the ENFP. Do not do this. The ENFP will interpret that as a sign of getting back together. In their minds- the relationship never ended, and despite the fact that you showed clear signs that you did not want the relationship to continue, they will ironically, BLAME themselves for the end of the relationship and think that they were in the wrong and not a combination of you and the ENFP together that lead to the demise. The ENFP will turn over the events in her/his head over and over, and think she/he should've done something differently. So if you are in that break-up phase, don't compliment or say nice things to the ENFP, they will misinterpret this as a sign that you will get back together.

Anyhow, I think that covers most of it. ENFPs are sensitive, but they have a hard time letting go so it's best to quickly rip the band-aid off, then forever string them along.

Thanks for the tips!

VanillaCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
So true! Very well done, except for the thing about ENFPs having low opinions obout themselves. I think we may be vulnerable to it, but we can also be very narcissistic.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Ladies and gentlemen, in classic NT fashion, presented with a spoonful of wit and sarcasm, the truth.

SillyGoose

MBTI Type
EXXP
I don't agree with this at all. In fact, it almost seems to be a put down of some sort.

"We've dissected some reasons for this, and I believe ENFPs- male or female, tend to have problems ending relationships and ceaselessly hang on despite the fact that it is made clear to them that the relationship is OVER."

I generally end the relationship and have moved on to some greener pasture. I can't imagine being stuck on someone who does not like me. It also does not jive with my values -- let people have their own opinions and wishes and to respect them.

"1. Criticize them about their looks, intelligence and lifestyle choices. ENFPs have a masochistic side, have low opinions of themselves and will immediately be attracted to and attach themselves to anyone who criticizes them. Ironically ENFPs will not like people who are actually respectful and nice to them. Since ENFPs are the most common type in the population, this is where all the ridiculous pop psychology books "He's just not that into you" and "The Rules" come from. These are made for the ENFP."

Again, criticism of a superficial type does not fly with me -- I could not even be friends with someone who does that much less have a romantic relationship.

From my limited reading, ENFP's are not the most common type. Links or back up please :)

"2. Use them for sex. ENFPs believe sex is a sign of love, in polar opposite to the way NTs think sex is an EXPRESSION of sexual desire. Sexual desire does not necessarily equate love. However, ENFPs will hang on to a relationship as long as there is sex involved, because to them, sex IS love and what they value the most in a relationship of the opposite sex."

IMO, sex can be an expression of love or might just be...sex. I don't believe that this thinking above is type determined, probably more like maturity determined.

"3. You might be feeling guilty about hurting an ENFP, so occasionally you throw out a compliment to the ENFP. Do not do this. The ENFP will interpret that as a sign of getting back together. In their minds- the relationship never ended, and despite the fact that you showed clear signs that you did not want the relationship to continue, they will ironically, BLAME themselves for the end of the relationship and think that they were in the wrong and not a combination of you and the ENFP together that lead to the demise. The ENFP will turn over the events in her/his head over and over, and think she/he should've done something differently. So if you are in that break-up phase, don't compliment or say nice things to the ENFP, they will misinterpret this as a sign that you will get back together"

Again, doesn't sound to type determined but maturity.

"Anyhow, I think that covers most of it. ENFPs are sensitive, but they have a hard time letting go so it's best to quickly rip the band-aid off, then forever string them along."

I don't think that covers anything about an ENFP, honestly. Perhaps it fits your friend that you have deemed ENFP but I cannot see where it would apply to all or even a fraction of what I have read and studied.

Considering that ENFP's place their values pretty high, if the bulk of what you wrote is against their values -- IMO, it is a pretty simplistic and dim view of a person, not every ENFP.

NoMoreFun

MBTI Type
ENFP
... I believe ENFPs- male or female, tend to have problems ending relationships and ceaselessly hang on despite the fact that it is made clear to them that the relationship is OVER.

1. Criticize them about their looks, intelligence and lifestyle choices.

It's always nice when someone find a positive way to get what they want.

Since ENFPs are the most common type in the population, this is where all the ridiculous pop psychology books "He's just not that into you" and "The Rules" come from. These are made for the ENFP.

How can you get the idea that any xNxx type is the most common? :thinking:

2. Use them for sex.

Please do, that would be nice. But really, ENFPs can tell when you're being dishonest about these things though, agreeably, they may often not be ready to admit it to themselves. Even the romantic INFPs know the difference between sex and love.

3. You might be feeling guilty about hurting an ENFP, so occasionally you throw out a compliment to the ENFP. Do not do this.

I love the positive attitude. :rolli:

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
i have an enfp father, and i have a word to say in this

this is tottaly not true, ENFP's MAY have a low oppinion of themselves, but that is more related to maturity, my father for example is quite boastful about his accomplishments in life (but not to the point of arrogance or anything less desirable) and has a very good oppinion of himself
they vulnerable to criticism, they will keep it within themselves, and will go away from that particular person without telling,or suggesting, why

from what i have talked to my father, this is somehow valid, but from what i gathered from him, this is both a way to show affection, but more over it is a sign that the relation is still working

this is strongly dependant on the maturity of the ENFP, and how he built his principles, my father was totally like not this, but i do know some other ENFP's that fit the profile :)
and besides, this doesnt apply only to ENFP's, this applies i think, to any type under the sun, be it NT/NF/SJ/SP as long as they were in love with their partner in the first place

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP

Well I can't be bothered to reply to all the post but this made me giggle.

As stringing anyone along is normally considered an unpleasent thing to do one must assume you want to hurt ENFPs for some reason. It's not an unfair suggestion that this indicates that some ENFP somewhere burned you bad and for that I am glad... :D

Also as a side note on enfps hanging on to bad realtionships for far too long, this strikes me as odd as I have been the one to end every relationship (bar my current one) since I was 16 years old...

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
First of all, ENFPs are not the most common type. Did you forget about sensors? You're also incorrect about ENFPs arbitrarily having low opinions of themselves. And the pop psychology stuff...:wtf:

Eh, I suppose this is true if the ENFP is in love with the other person. If the relationship wasn't nearly as serious, I don't think this is necessarily the case.

I agree with this since ENFPs put such a priority on relationships.

Not necessarily. It's probably easiest for NTs to 'quickly rip the band-aid off', but that is a motive based on self-interest, not necessarily what is best for the ENFP.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj

Elaborate a little more on this one since I have ENFP friend and I for the most part am nice to her and she deosn't seem disrespect me. I do understand a little of what you say though because her boyfriend can be a jerk sometimes and she loves him to death.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Last edited:

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
Since ENFPs are the most common type in the population,

You lost me right there.

ENFPs are not even close to being the most common type in the population. That honor would go to ESFJ.

NF's are rare. There's probably more ESFJ and ESTJ than all 4 NF types put together.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm guessing your post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but as you can see, didn't go over too well. ;)

I went to the trouble of answering your advice points in a semi-serious manner, but I'll save everyone the eye strain.

Bottom line, it sounds more like an issue of maturity and experience than type. Some of the ENFP observations you made were inaccurate even for weak/underdeveloped/immature ENFPs so they didn't work as tongue-in-cheek humor.

Also, ENFP males are a different breed than ENFP females. It seems ENFP females are much savvier about dating than ENFP males -- this is just from what I've read on this forum. 'F' males in a general, get a tough break, especially ENFP men. Girls and relationships seem to totally blindside them and chew them up and the learning curve is much steeper for them than ENFP females.

The one thing that rung true was the 'puppy love can't see the writing on the wall' ENFP. It's written on the web somewhere that 'ENFPs are like textbook people when they first fall in love' and vice versa. For better or worse, people in love are *dumb* and have a hard time facing harsh reality.

But again, it depends on the weight of the cognitive functions/letters, maturity, and experience.

You can say across the board that 'weak/immature' people unconsciously react to things based on fear. And human beings fear being alone. So especially for an ENFP who values companionship and socialability, it can be really hard to accept rejection and move on.

However, once a person grows and adapts and gets stronger and more able to succeed in the world, they get over their usual stumbling blocks quick.

And the 'inability to let go' phenomena is definitely not specific to ENFPs or even 'F's -- I think this is a common problem for INTPs as well and even ISTJs exhibit this 'refusal to let go and accept the unflattering reality of people'. Depending on their cognitive functions, etc. the way and reasons a type refuses to let go of bad relationship will be different, but it's definitely not confined to 1 type or even 1 quadrant.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
How to temporarily attract the attention of an ENFP.

...Be so utterly devoid of common sense, reason and human intellect that they just *can't* look away.

:shocking:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm starting to fear ENFP's.
As you well should.

news_dom.jpg

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I enjoyed using my ENFP wife for sex for almost 2 whole years. But I guess I complimented her too much and didn't insult her enough, because she eventually got tired of me. :cry: ;)

But actually, I was the one who didn't want to accept that the relationship was over, I literally begged for her to stay and not leave the family that we created, and she left anyway. Thankfully, because of my oh-so-practical SP attitude, I was able to eventually forgive her. ;)