• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] How to Ceaselessly String Along an ENFP

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh because i realize it can appear that way and it may be true for some but like i said in my previous post up there is that for me...it's more about being attracted to someone who seems more discriminating or less superficial...like hey that person over there isn't just feigning interest in me because they think i'm attractive...they must be secure in who they are, they must not be here to pick people up...that is cool, i like that. i just like to relate to people as people, as friends first and let chemistry happen based on personality more than looks...make sense?

i don't know how other enfp's feel about it but i think that's probably how it works for me.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I think NFPs have excellent mind f**k radar. Those of use who are young, inexperienced can have that naive quality. But once we develop our perception, being highly principled folks, we tend to look upon others who manipulate people for their own amusement with little esteem. Nor do we extend to them the common courtesies we can be very generous about with others.

Anyone who repeatedly lies to me or attempts to manipulate my emotions has lost my respect.

I'm always surprised that someone would announce the fact as though they were proud of it!

Rangler

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w8
I know two ENFPs.

The first is male, he's one of my best friends. He's one of the most generous and kind people I know. I recognized a long time ago I needed to learn to be more like him.

The second is female, a former co-worker that moved away. I recently visited her for an afternoon. She is very independent and loves to learn about the world and our talks are vary interesting to me.

I respect and value both these people and treat them well. I doubt we would still know each other if I treated them as initially prescribed.

I perceive two schools of thought on how to get people to like you. The first strategy is to prey on others desires and fears to submit them, having them look up to you. The second is to be sincere, honest, and compelling, having them appreciate you.

As an ENTJ I feel I have the ability to choose between the two. In my personal relationships I prefer the second strategy. My roommate, also an ENTJ, prefers the first. Both are effective.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know two ENFPs.

The first is male, he's one of my best friends. He's one of the most generous and kind people I know. I recognized a long time ago I needed to learn to be more like him.

The second is female, a former co-worker that moved away. I recently visited her for an afternoon. She is very independent and loves to learn about the world and our talks are vary interesting to me.

I respect and value both these people and treat them well. I doubt we would still know each other if I treated them as initially prescribed.

I perceive two schools of thought on how to get people to like you. The first strategy is to prey on others desires and fears to submit them, having them look up to you. The second is to be sincere, honest, and compelling, having them appreciate you.

As an ENTJ I feel I have the ability to choose between the two. In my personal relationships I prefer the second strategy. My roommate, also an ENTJ, prefers the first. Both are effective.

Your way takes more time, but it is being yourself. This will create a healthy relationship. The other is playing with them which will create a very unhealthy relationship. The quickest thing that will put you on my bad side is using other people for your benefit. If I could I would love to be a unkown(introverted) super hero and just punish all the mean people of the world.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Hmmm, IME you are suckers for aloofness and mystery...not expressing interest or even ignoring you seems to draw you in...but the same goes for me, really, so yeah. There's a difference between these things happening naturally out of awkwardness or feeling vulnerable or being occupied by other things for a bit and using them in a disrespectful manner, though.

The OP is ENTJ IIRC.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmmm, IME you are suckers for aloofness and mystery...not expressing interest or even ignoring you seems to draw you in...but the same goes for me, really, so yeah.

Aren't we all? Aren't we all?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
oh because i realize it can appear that way and it may be true for some but like i said in my previous post up there is that for me...it's more about being attracted to someone who seems more discriminating or less superficial...like hey that person over there isn't just feigning interest in me because they think i'm attractive...they must be secure in who they are, they must not be here to pick people up...that is cool, i like that. i just like to relate to people as people, as friends first and let chemistry happen based on personality more than looks...make sense?

That sounds pretty normal and healthy to me. It's not quite what I was warning against... your version seems to be a bit less 'playing with fire' than what I've seen.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...i can definitely see how some could be attracted to people that weren't good for them because we can be accepting to a fault and really like different and quirky...so you can find healthy and unhealthy versions of that.

Rangler

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w8
I tend to think people are attracted to strong people. "Assholes" and "Bitches" have strong personalities that, though unhealthy, seem to qualify them as attractive to some.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. So, I've been involved with an ENFP male for two years... and I -don't- want to string him along (just for the record). Although we care about each other (he's very important to me), we're friends first and foremost. We're young, and prefer our freedom over being in a committed relationship. As a result, we've developed some kind caring but no-strings-attached relationship (or so I think?).

However, his words don't always line up with his actions. When my sister first met him (about 6 months ago... she's also an ENFP I believe), she said "By the way he was talking to me about you, I'm surprised he's not at your door serenading you every night." When we're in public, he's affectionate, and when we're alone, he's emotionally unavailable. Neither of which bothers me... except the inconsistency. As an ST... it has to make sense!! And he is a total puzzle to me. Some lovely ENFP chap want to explain this puzzle for me? It's driven me nuts from day 1.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmmm...we can be a bit guarded...what do you mean by unavailable?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suppose guarded may be the better description. Truth be told, I was pretty infatuated when I first met him. But at the time he was having trouble leaving a relationship. We got in touch about 2-3 months later again, after he left her for good, but by that time I shut him out and put up -my- guard. Sometimes I suspect that's what causes all his multiple personalities around me. We talk from time to time about why we don't want a relationship, and he always voices that he's happy I'm still in his life, and it hurts him that a lot of people disappear from his life because they want more from him than he can give. I can really relate to that, but as I said.. sometimes he acts like -he- wants more. Then other times he acts like a typical 23-year-old guy (he even jokes about it.. "I just want to break crap, and hook up with someone"). The way he constantly flip-flops, I have no idea what he thinks about me... I suppose I find it frustrating and unnecessary when I'm not -asking- more from him. I genuinely care about our friendship

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I suppose guarded may be the better description. Truth be told, I was pretty infatuated when I first met him. But at the time he was having trouble leaving a relationship. We got in touch about 2-3 months later again, after he left her for good, but by that time I shut him out and put up -my- guard. Sometimes I suspect that's what causes all his multiple personalities around me. We talk from time to time about why we don't want a relationship, and he always voices that he's happy I'm still in his life, and it hurts him that a lot of people disappear from his life because they want more from him than he can give. I can really relate to that, but as I said.. sometimes he acts like -he- wants more. Then other times he acts like a typical 23-year-old guy (he even jokes about it.. "I just want to break crap, and hook up with someone"). The way he constantly flip-flops, I have no idea what he thinks about me... I suppose I find it frustrating and unnecessary when I'm not -asking- more from him. I genuinely care about our friendship

Go by your instincts. Listen to what he says. He is scared that you are gonna be like the rest of them and he will push you away. Its kinda hard at first, but try to talk about what you think you want in a relationship. Tell him what you like. He doesnt know what will push you away and doesnt see that him being guarded is pushing you away. He is just trying to figure out how to proceed without pushing to far.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
one other thing. It seems like ENFPs need closure and it took 2-3 months to get there. If there was no closure expect that he/she will contact again. ENFPs like to talk about relationship problems for the same reason we need to figure out thinking type things. Its how they learn to adapt. They need to know who you are so they dont make the same mistake they think they made last time. There Ne will try to figure out what you want, but needs somewhere to start. Since they are Fi auxilary they dont need anywhere near as much direction as an ISTPs Ti, they just need an opening.

edit: sorry I miss read at first, They are very adaptable people in regards to feelings and even if they want more they will probably settle for a friendship. Just make sure they know how you feel, they will try to adapt or move on. Thats really all you can do. If you are honest he doesnt see it as stringing him along.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
we're probably extremely frustrating..i understand the going back and forth on it and we are guarded...and will hold back based on what we believe you're feeling...too much or too little will make me retreat a bit...i like it when it feels equal so i think i unintentionally try to keep it there.

but we're usually pretty good at communicating and being upfront with our feelings once we've figured it out....just talk to him...i always answer honestly if asked directly...we have a bit of truth turettes i think.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
He is just trying to figure out how to proceed without pushing to far.

Probably.

I'm not really the smothering type but I'm always somewhat paranoid about the possibility of being perceived as such, if I really like someone, to the point of being too guarded sometimes. Never been in a relationship with someone I really loved, though. That's why they didn't last that long, so I'm guessing the guy would have told you if he didn't really connect with you. Meaning "the ENFP holding to bad relationships" can still be true, but only if there is some form of connection, I'd say(example : none of the girls I've been with really got me, so I never really felt too close to them.)

Hope that made some sense. I'm not really an expert, but I can vouch for being too guarded. Sometimes sharing how you really feel feels like a shot in the foot. It feels like girls don't actually want to know how you feel about them. Hence the "mysterious man" cliché. Once you're honest you lose your charm.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's true...i never want to be too much but we CAN and do have the tendency to be over expressive or over emotive...don't we?? or is that just a girl thing? or a me thing? but i try to keep it in check...haha

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
that's true...i never want to be too much but we CAN and do have the tendency to be over expressive or over emotive...don't we?? or is that just a girl thing? or a me thing? but i try to keep it in check...haha

Personally, I've always been very reserved when it came to my true feelings, but I think it's partially a conscious effort. I can't relate to over expressive/emotive though.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm...but i wonder how much that has to do with the people you've dated, you know?

because...you have to feel it to express it...you know? or...maybe it's a girl thing....but it's more about just being direct for me i think.