• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] How to Ceaselessly String Along an ENFP

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
Not for me. I'm too egotistical an ENFP to give a damn about someone who does not worship me (and then I become suspicious). That could the Leo/Dragon in me talking but still. ...don't have time for non-worship.

Someone got burned by an ENFP. ;)

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
You are evil. And a good portion of this is outright wrong but im too pissed off to type up a proper response.

toast

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I'm really protective of ENFPs for some reason. I think I've seen some who have trouble letting go, but only when they are confused about the end. ENFJs need a similar closure, but I think they may be better equipped to give it to themselves even if the outside signals are mixed. I think usually ENFPs end a relationship themselves unless there are too many unanswered questions & then maybe they get hooked. The OP seems to be focusing on giving the mixed signals (like the stupid notion that it's sound to have sex with an ex who wants more) that probably would cause more unhealthy attachment for the ENFP, but only if he/she was already hooked for some reason and looking for closure or resolution.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Totally true. If I'm confused about the ending, and when it ended, then I can't let go. It just isn't over to me, and I dont know what the moral is.

ubee0173

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
this made me giggle! ah, but then there are the mature enfp's who see that you are doing these things and *!with a flip of the evil switch!* pull the rug out from under you!! mwahaha. i did that once. told some guy "im not going anywhere. blah blah blah" after he said something along the lines of "im like a snake. and what happens when you mess with snakes? you get bit. HISS!!" like that was a hilarious thing to say. so i never said anything to him again. and i moved. PRICELESS! and he's, like, a writer 'n' shit, so i got the added bonus of being able to see the ill effects of my dissapearnce in a beautiful artistic form without ever seeing the j/o again . Me FTW!

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
ubee...were gunna have sex.

ubee0173

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
my married-ness and location (not to mention the magic 8 ball) would have to disagree... but i am flattered nonetheless. ;)

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
my married-ness and location (not to mention the magic 8 ball) would have to disagree... but i am flattered nonetheless. ;)

Why? It's just some kid that gets an erection every time the wind blows. :devil:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm pretty sure i've posted in this long ago but just saying again...nofuckingway...that is not me at all.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am still waiting to hear how to ceaselessly string along an ENFP...

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
yeah...i have a problem with people trying to insinuate that to be "charming" is to be fake and/or manipulative. we actually are friendly and engaging with people because we are genuinely excited to meet them and talk with them. it's not bs...it's not an act...it's honest and people respond to it because it feels good to have someone genuinely enjoy your company...why would someone wish to paint that so negatively?

I have experienced the same issues with ENFPs.

I know that they are trying to be friendly by connecting to various types of people, though it seems to me that they have a habit of asking "friendly" questions just for the sake of having a conversation instead of having a "genuine" talk.

One case in point is, I've known many ENFPs often ask questions evenif they already know the answers from others. Another example is that if something is kept as a secret, or being told in confidence, they would 'purposely' pretend that they don't know any of it and try to dig out more infos from others just for the 'sake' of conversation!

But what I can't stand the most is that they can talk so sweetly and friendly to those people even if they already have developed a strong hatred against them (being bottled up for the sake of popularity). That's something I consider to be incredibly flakey and I wouldn't do it personally (no matter how much INFJs are into peace-keeping).

Though I must say that ENFPs have their own charms and I think I finally get it when they often defended themselves that they're not acting or stealing attention by being chatty with everyone all the time. Cuz that's exactly how Lady X and my ENFP friend has worded.

Don't get me wrong, I'm often amazed by their high level of enthusiasm with people and their charms! :hug:

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
Crescent Flesh, you're stereotyping. You must be basing all that on personal experience.. Because I don't do ANY of that. ESPECIALLY the 'bottling it up' thing. Fuck that. If I don't like someone/a group of people, I won't be nice to them so I can be liked as well. I could care less.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@ crescent fresh --

i think you do see some accuracies in behavior, but you misunderstand our motivation and intentions. now, perhaps what you said is true in the cases you have seen, but i can think of a whole lot of other reasons that i would behave in a similar way but with completely, totally different intentions.

i like your name btw :)

I have experienced the same issues with ENFPs.

I know that they are trying to be friendly by connecting to various types of people, though it seems to me that they have a habit of asking "friendly" questions just for the sake of having a conversation instead of having a "genuine" talk.

One case in point is, I've known many ENFPs often ask questions even if they already know the answers from others.

well, to start out with, is that really deceptive, or inauthentic? or is it just being private?

honestly, sometimes i don't really know how to start and/or continue a conversation, so i'll ask about something that i know will be a good touch-off point. we don't possess your Fe social ease, unfortunately. it's not that i'm not genuine, it's that i'm just not conversationally brilliant, and you have to start on some kind of mutual ground. what i ask about might not be what i'm interested in, but it's a launching point into deeper conversation.

secondly, understand that we tend to be very curious and often find out things we aren't supposed to know, or that we really don't want to get into how we found out. people tend to randomly open up around us - i mean this completely seriously, recently this woman i just met - like 2 days ago - at work started telling me things about her husband she apparently hadn't voiced to anyone in years - and so sometimes it's a bit of an awkward situation, and asking just makes things easier. if i met her husband i would never be up front about what she told me, though i might ask to see what his side of the story was, too.

Another example is that if something is kept as a secret, or being told in confidence, they would 'purposely' pretend that they don't know any of it and try to dig out more infos from others just for the 'sake' of conversation!

i don't feel any obligation to tell people everything i know, do you? i don't say this with any malice. i just don't see it as my responsibility to have to tell someone something if i think it's going to make things more awkward between us. and i do like to know things. i like being aware.

also sometimes i forget details. okay so a lot of times i forget details. and because i don't know the exact info, i don't want to risk saying anything and getting it wrong or getting anyone else in trouble, which tends to happen when discussing secrets.

but again, how do you know that this is precluding genuine talk? because honestly i couldn't give a rat's ass about conversation with most people. i like learning ideas and talking about ideas and being with people, but i can't say i've ever really cared enough about conversation to prolong it, unless i really stood to gain from it. i'd be way more likely to fake a sore throat to not have to talk to you than to bother pressing conversation if i'm not interested in you as a person.

and yes, sometimes i do talk with people for the sake of getting information i need to know. i find it hard to believe that as Ni dom you do not do the same thing. still, the feelings i express and the interest i express are always genuine. compassion happens naturally, i don't need to pretend.

But what I can't stand the most is that they can talk so sweetly and friendly to those people even if they already have developed a strong hatred against them (being bottled up for the sake of popularity). That's something I consider to be incredibly flakey and I wouldn't do it personally (no matter how much INFJs are into peace-keeping).

same question, are you really sure it's for the sake of popularity?

there are some people that really piss me off, but i can see that there will be no longterm good in confronting them, unless they're doing something really unethical. i know a girl that is self-absorbed and talks at 120 miles a minute, and i can't stand her. but why would i be mean to her? i think that she is a good person, because i believe that all people are good in some ways, but i really don't like to be around her. so when i have to talk to her, i try to focus on the places where i empathize with her. and i do genuinely like some things about her. i can say this for almost all people i dislike. and i have to work with her, so what's the point in being cold to her? it would just make her feel bad and make our work situation awkward.

i'd say the flipside of this is NFJs being cold to people, which i have seen often in action. is that really a kinder thing to do? to be standoffish? do you think it really helps anyone change or understand what you don't like about them? because, ime, it doesn't. people just wonder why you dislike them so much. might as well just be nice and enjoy as much of their personality as you possibly can.

which, don't get me wrong, i love NFJs. i've dated them and like to keep them around as friends. :)

but i think you misunderstand our intentions. lazy, disorganized, forgetful, curious, secretive, yes. but intentionally deceptive and inauthentic for the sake of our own gain? i doubt it. being inauthentic is always loss to Fi.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i just caught wind of this thread. i am strapping on my battle cloths. prepare thyself, OP.

:solidarity: ENFPs!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Crescent Flesh, you're stereotyping. You must be basing all that on personal experience.. Because I don't do ANY of that. ESPECIALLY the 'bottling it up' thing. Fuck that. If I don't like someone/a group of people, I won't be nice to them so I can be liked as well. I could care less.

for real... me either and i totally respect privacy. i hate when people break my trust in them by being too lose with privileged information. i wouldn't do that to anyone else.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ps does anyone else hate the word "flakey"? i feel like it's such an easy way out. call someone flakey and you don't have to bother trying to understand them, because they're just totally two-faced. and they can't win in your eyes - if they do something right they're just being manipulative, and if they do something wrong, they're unreliable.

but

here are some things i am:
  • indecisive
  • a procrastinator
  • in favor of being generally liked
  • forgetful in regards to minor factual detail
  • running 3 minutes late about 20% of the time
  • somewhat impulsive
  • anxious

here are some things i am not:
  • insincere
  • untrustworthy (note that you NEED to tell me when i am supposed to keep something confidential, i do not discuss other people's opinions as a general rule but sometimes if related things come up in conversation i might mention something you said because i think it's smart/interesting/relevant unless i know it is private)
  • premeditatively manipulative (my style of manipulation - and let's face it, everyone manipulates - is more like skirting my way out of getting in trouble)
  • backstabbing
  • unreliable
  • without integrity

on the other hand, i feel like i have seemed a little flakey to a friend of mine lately. the problem is, we have really different tastes, and she always wants me to do stuff i really don't like. she'll ask if i want to hang out on thursday, and i'll say sure, give me a call thursday morning, and she'll call me at 7 pm when i'm having dinner with my family or SO. or we'll make plans to "go out" on the weekend, and she'll call 30 minutes before she wants to leave (but i live 25 minutes from downtown) and then she'll inform me that if we don't leave soon, she can't go, because she wants to be home by 10. i don't even usually leave the house by 10 on the weekends. or she'll want to go get fast food, but i'm trying hard to eat healthy. and i always have to drive because she is a terrifyingly bad driver and never has gas. and the last time we went out, she pretended to be drunk after some fruity little thing that wouldn't even get a toddler drunk and yelled at random guys on the street from my car. and then she complains about me - me not keeping plans if i agree to do things with her, or me not hanging out with her if i don't agree to do things with her, or me not enjoying myself if i do things with her! so if that's flakey for you, then yes, i suppose i am a flake...