• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do you guys cry a lot?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Well, I've been trying to adapt some of Run DMC's moves but it's not working as planned.

Wow. That was pretty masterfully done. I'm totally crying now.

(Incidentally, the following is a real quote from a member on a mom message board I used to post on, after some sad chick flick came out:

"It was so sad! It just made me want to ball all night long!"

Hmm... not the typical response to sad movies, but whatever floats your boat I guess!)

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Wow. That was pretty masterfully done. I'm totally crying now.

(Incidentally, the following is a real quote from a member on a mom message board I used to post on, after some sad chick flick came out:

"It was so sad! It just made me want to ball all night long!"

Hmm... not the typical response to sad movies, but whatever floats your boat I guess!)

Ha. ;)

I guess I failed to realize that ball isn't a homophone for bawl. heh.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Ian's observation about shame and environmental effect on our emotional expression is so true. Being caught crying = bad, bad idea. Maybe it's environmental + an ENFP thing (that confounding Fi? and paranoia?) but I've been told I have a good poker face and can be very hard to read. Of course, when I'm doing that, it's intentional and takes a proportionate amount of effort to whatever emotion I want to be expressing.

Then again, after too many years of self-regulating emotional expression, it becomes more fundamental and problematic and I get out of touch with myself.

I envy people who can cry and get angry and own their emotions and express them instantly, authentically, in the moment. Emotions don't have to make sense or even be appropriate folks.

Yes, I aspire to be XSFX.

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I wish I cried more. I hold back most of the time. If I cried everytime I felt like crying I'd probably be crying like 5 times a day (If I'm not holding back it doesn't take much at all to make me cry) and I hate letting people see me when I get emotional so I hardly ever let myself cry. I wish I were courageous enough to just let myself cry...I hate letting my emotions simmer and stew inside me. And I hate that no one ever knows how I REALLY feel. I always come off as some sort of unfeeling robot. =(

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would say, that on average, I cry two to three times a month. Even though I hate crying in theory, whenever I do...hot damn does it feel good!!!

Sunshine

MBTI Type
ABCD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oops, I just realized that this thread is in the NF Idyllic section. Should I delete my posts?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Not really. Last time I did was many months ago. I don't have much to cry about.

bravesthope

MBTI Type
INFP
I do. Or I think I do anyway. When a question comes up on a survey "When was the last time you cried" I have trouble remembering the last time I cried because I cry so often, I don't consider it important enough to remember the last time I cried...

Zelath

MBTI Type
INfP
Not particularly, it's been a couple of months since the last time I have cried. It usually takes me quite a bit before I will be actually moved to the point where I break into tears, it doesn't take much however for my eyes to start to water especially if it is one of my sensitive spots.

One thing that I remember moving me to tears several times is the suffering of animals; as a kid I lost a cat (Siamese) and years later I went to either a pet store or a shelter and I saw a Siamese that I felt could have been the one I had lost, but my mom told me it wasn't it but I refused to believe it... I remember crying myself to sleep that night. Since then I have been extremely reluctant to go anywhere near a pet store or a shelter. Also, at my old house this past Christmas a stray cat started living on our back porch and I felt so bad for it, I wanted to let it stay in the house but we already had a cat (Siamese actually...) and she said no... I ended up crying myself to sleep over that as well.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Not often anymore, but I cried all the time a few years back due to hormonal/emotional shifts. I can't remember the last time I sobbed or cried hard. Probably five years ago.

I rarely cry due to anger or frustration. Mine is mostly an emotional release due to loss, pathos or tragedy.

Music can bring tears to my eyes (eg, Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert). I also get choked up when I tell a touching story. I cry as often about something moving as something sad or terrible, about once or twice a month.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I cry at movies, books, tv shows... anything touching or where someone has a moment that means to world to them - yea, I tear up a bit. However, I can control it for the time & the place. I like to be appropriate.

Music can totally make me cry. The right lyrics, especially, but sometimes certain chords or notes in instrumental music can really move me. It's definitely more lyric based, though. Also, if I am crying, I need to listen to music w/ lyrics that match my mood or describe my situation in order to comfort myself.

I wish I could say I'm not a big crier. I cry a lot when I'm stressed or frustrated, but I'll only cry in front of maybe a couple people in my life.

SquirrelTao

MBTI Type
INXX
Not really. I was an easy crier as a little girl. As a grown woman, I'm considered cool, calm and collected. I rarely cry, but when I do, I cry in private. If I start crying, I won't be able to stop, and that's the last thing I want to go through in public.

The last time I cried in public was five days after my baby was born, and I was severely sleep deprived. I had to take my newborn into the hospital and stay with him for several days while he got phototherapy for his jaundice. The resident doctor insisted that I would have to take him out from under the lights to breastfeed him for ten minutes every hour around the clock. This was upsetting to me because I knew ten minutes would not be enough for him, he would cry, and then when he finally got settled down, I would be picking him up again to begin the process over again. He would be constantly crying. Plus I would get no sleep. I didn't see how I could do it. I may have gone over the edge into postpartum depression if not for the much more sensible and compassionate nurse who came on duty a couple hours later to put me on a saner schedule. I think even an INTP or an INTJ may possibly have cried under those circumstances. Or maybe not. Maybe the INTJ would have told the doctor to f*ck off, and the INTP would have argued logically with the doctor.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^You're from SF. Can I hug you?

(SF is my hometown)

You can hug me. I live in the North Bay Area.

And I easily feel like crying whether it be tears of joy or tears of pain but I try not to do it around others because I know it makes people uncomfortable and I don't like to do that but lets just say that my tear ducts get enough exercise.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You can hug me. I live in the North Bay Area.

And I easily feel like crying whether it be tears of joy or tears of pain but I try not to do it around others because I know it makes people uncomfortable and I don't like to do that but lets just say that my tear ducts get enough exercise.

You can cry all you want around me, it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. Well, I mean, unless that's ALL you do, that would get tiresome after a while. ;)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can cry all you want around me, it doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. Well, I mean, unless that's ALL you do, that would get tiresome after a while. ;)

Nah, that's not all I do. Probably averages out to a couple of times a month.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nah, that's not all I do. Probably averages out to a couple of times a month.

Ah, well that's prefectly fine. Cry away. :yes: