• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] Fi-based Judgments and the INFP

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I was wondering why there was so many INFP posts recently, and totally forgot that ENFJs, INFJs and ENFPs even existed. Is this typical for TypeC?

Anyway, does anyone have anything to say about Fi-value based judgments and how these judgments may work positively or negatively for other types or other INFPs?
I think I've seen a lot of prejudice surrounding Fi-based users like INFPs and ISFPs and I was wondering whether anyone else is a survivor who would like to tell us about their battle scars..? If any :D

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
what kind of prejudice do you mean?

at least personally i don't tend to start threads and there have been mostly INFP-centered threads lately, so i haven't been very interested in the NF forum.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
They always come out when it's cold, it's when they are at their most powerful.

G

Glycerine

Nah. Not really. We mainly just hyper focus on our own types. INFPs seem to be the most interested in Fi discussions in the first place (along with some ENFPs and a few INTJs).

Everything else creates drama. It's been like that for years.

_eric_

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was wondering why there was so many INFP posts recently, and totally forgot that ENFJs, INFJs and ENFPs even existed. Is this typical for TypeC?
I'm sure it comes and goes in waves, just like how this happens with any other type.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
what kind of prejudice do you mean?

at least personally i don't tend to start threads and there have been mostly INFP-centered threads lately, so i haven't been very interested in the NF forum.
I mean when something is decided on a topic by feeling beforehand and it creates something like confirmation bias from there...

Marie Marguerite

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
??
Nah. Not really. We mainly just hyper focus on our own types. INFPs seem to be the most interested in Fi discussions in the first place (along with some ENFPs and a few INTJs).

Everything else creates drama. It's been like that for years.

Not always. Understanding and toleration for what others do and their type functions should come with maturity. But I do see a pattern with the Fi discussions.

I'm sure it comes and goes in waves, just like how this happens with any other type.

^ This.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyway, does anyone have anything to say about Fi-value based judgments and how these judgments may work positively or negatively for other types or other INFPs?
I think I've seen a lot of prejudice surrounding Fi-based users like INFPs and ISFPs and I was wondering whether anyone else is a survivor who would like to tell us about their battle scars..? If any :D

I would rather eat my hair. Jeebus, can't we talk about anything else???

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well Fi means "introverted and subjective perception of the World" and in that light its no wonder Fi-doms can talk about themselves for hours and hours. That in combination with the penchant of need to describe everything in precise details of how they perceived and experienced it, does make for a looooong list of threads :D.

I know it first hand, I am living with a Fi-dom. But it aint hard, there are worser things in life. Still a clap on the back of their heads at time, to tell them there is more to the World than their own World, isnt such a bad thing :).

Standuble

I would rather eat my hair. Jeebus, can't we talk about anything else???

What's wrong with Fi reflection? Surely the Ti within would love the challenge of trying to dissect the function's inner components?

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=14363]Standuble[/MENTION]

I'm just curious - and I don't mean it as an ad hominem (I don't throw those for no reason), but am actually curious - how does Fi value-giving fit together with nihilism? I'm not saying that it can't, but I'm not sure how they run together; could you explain?

Standuble

[MENTION=14363]Standuble[/MENTION]

I'm just curious - and I don't mean it as an ad hominem (I don't throw those for no reason), but am actually curious - how does Fi value-giving fit together with nihilism? I'm not saying that it can't, but I'm not sure how they run together; could you explain?

An unexpected question in an unexpected place but one which I am interested in answering. I don't think the function itself leads to nihilism but more how the definition of that function may influence the grand scheme of things. This is a little simplified but I hope its sufficient:

A) You come to the conclusion that the Fi leads to the creation of subjective ethics, morals, viewpoints and perspectives through the values you personally ascribe to it. You also conclude that the amount of value being placed is changing based on your own life circumstances.
B) You come to the conclusion that Fe adapts a person to external values which have their origins in the Fi realm which obtained popularity. You also conclude that a society's morals and values can change over time.
C) From the above two ideas you ask whether all morality, all ethics and all values have their roots in the subjective and working on the notion that the lack of agreed value has the implication that there may be no actual objective value, meaning and no objective ethics and morals in the universe.
D) Observation of the outside world and situations where the value of an object changes e.g. 1kg of Helium-3 in the hands of a carpet cleaner compared to 1kg of Helium-3 in the hands of a nuclear physicist.
E) Concluding that nothing has value and meaning in itself you eventually end up with nihilism.

Be aware that Fi if anything actually undermines nihilism as the creation of value for the individual leads to a state of existentialism which asserts that an individual meaning and purpose can be achieved but that there is no inherent value or purpose in it. From my understanding NTs are better at remaining consistent with nihilism than NFs as value carries less sway over their decision making.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Be aware that Fi if anything actually undermines nihilism as the creation of value for the individual leads to a state of existentialism which asserts that an individual meaning and purpose can be achieved but that there is no inherent value or purpose in it. From my understanding NTs are better at remaining consistent with nihilism than NFs as value carries less sway over their decision making.

I thought that that's how you got to it, but I'm curious how Fi displays itself in you now that you're a nihilist? I mean, how does value-creating correspond with the non-existence of value?

I thought I should ask this now before I forget, and this is a good place to discuss it as the topic is Fi, anyway.:D

Standuble

I thought that that's how you got to it, but I'm curious how Fi displays itself in you now that you're a nihilist? I mean, how does value-creating correspond with the non-existence of value?

I thought I should ask this now before I forget, and this is a good place to discuss it as the topic is Fi, anyway.:D

It's nothing too bizarre. It's merely "this is what I feel/value and how I want to live my life but everything I am doing is without inherent meaning." It keeps the Fi humble in a way as it sees itself as one construct amongst many and asserts itself because it is no less meaningless than others. Of course I try and keep my values congruent with supporting evidence; I would personally value a theory built around observable science over one I do not believe to be true e.g valuing the idea that the planets revolve around the sun due to the star's bending of local space-time more than a theory that asserts that God moves the Sun across the sky by hand and creates wind by farting. This is a failure on my part on maintaining a purely nihilistic outlook. If Fi was the only function in effect I would probably become like a moral objectivist but this would be in the height of the moment, with the other three working away smoothly I see myself as understanding nihilism but falling short of its realisation.

I do not think its possible or anyoneto become truly nihlist, the F function in humans will cause them to prefer one one object over another. Nihilism for me is to stare into an infinite abyss and to feel relatively comfortable in doing so. However I often find myself looking up into the sky for whichever reason and end up with periods of existentialism which are far easier for me to attain. I do not go further than that and do not believe in purpose or destiny and it will take me a lot of effort to change my mind into believing in objective ideals beyond a passing possibility.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I agree it seems like it goes in waves.

Here are some past discussions on some of these topics I pulled up for you:
Jung's Introverted Feeling Description
Fi and its effect on others
Describe the effects of Fi on your personality
How do you experience Fi?
Fi and long term repercussions
Do you feel "safe" to openly & freely share your thoughts about Fi here?
DAMN IT! I WANT TO HEAR FI USERS EXPRESS THEIR FEELINGS!
Selfish Fi
Pretentious Fi
uumlau answers your questions about Fi