User Tag List

First 123 Last

Not sure if I'm a typical ENFP but I figure I'm open minded to and accepting of most things. Curiousity tends to rule when something different or new comes along. The main exception to open mindedness seems to be when someone is telling me to change who I am, to do something or that something is a certain way. Then something internal resists strongly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx
    Socionics
    POOp

I think the term "open-minded" gets applied usually to people who easily accept things like same-sex relationships and unorthodox beliefs and different types of sexualities, identities, cultures, and lifestyles, rather than to people who are easily swayed by outside viewpoints.

People who are marginalized by society often feel very comfortable with me because as a long as a person isn't hurting someone else with their actions and behavior I see no reason to judge them. Also, since I'm a pretty caring person I really sympathize with people who just want to be themselves and so I treat them better than they're used to by others.

Really though, I'm pretty close-minded. I never compromise my morals, it just so happens that my morality makes me very open to connecting with things often viewed as negative or dangerous by society, since I have such issues with society in general. If society says a person is bad because of something that doesn't hurt anyone, I'm going to very partial to the individual and inclined to side with them because I see such huge moral issues with our society.

As someone mentioned though I'm really good at simulating an open mind and projecting myself into another person's position, but that information still gets sifted through my value system.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

EXACTLY. and i love you for being so much to the point.

(great thread elfboy. its an issue i've thought about often)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I can kind of... simulate... open-mindedness. I can very easily see another person's perspective, but if it conflicts with a value there's no way I'm truly going to be open to it.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Well, this is how I see it: I never impose my beliefs on others, unless they are in danger of hurting themself, or another, in some way. I consider an open mind to be a social obligation, which I gladly adopt. Beyond that, I am not often interested in changing others' minds. Having said that, my beliefs are in a 'black box', and are not amenable to change for any reason except new information from the world that must be incorporated in order to stay on course, so to speak. I have a rock solid ethical center, and will stand up for another if I see them being abused, by anyone, anywhere.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Open-minded? Not really. If an idea comes my way and I don't like it, though I can see evidence for it, I generally like to stick with what I have; I'll ruminate on it for quite a while before finally accepting it as the truth - and, even then, it still has to fit into the old framework. I have well-developed codes for what the world should be like - everything being connected to everything else, so it's sometimes hard to explain where I'm coming from - and it really upsets me that it isn't so.

I can seem open-minded, though: somebody could bring up an idea and I'll try to pretend what they said holds some truth. However, if they start pushing it, I'll tell them everything that's wrong with their idea (unless I see some advantage in being silent). I guess that's it: we have Fi, so it doesn't really show itself to everybody - only to our close friends and family - so we can seem to be fine with everything, but we really aren't.
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer

Yeah, I'm a judgmental bitch though I hide it well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Yeah, I'm a judgmental bitch though I hide it well.
    Yup. People seem to misinterpret an INFP's commonly non-confrontational, unassertive reaction as neutrality or even tacit agreement
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Riva

I don't think so. Sadly I have to elaborate don't I? Can we simply stick to the functions?

Si and Fi would be counter to being open minded - which I do believe I don't have to elaborate on. Unlike NTPs who'd take information in and deal it with Ti, NFPs deal it with Fi. So there you have it.

On the other-hand Se users go with the flow - this applies to even NJs. They take information as it comes and changes their perspective on things if the Se brings in more information.

So theoretically SJs and NFPs should be the least open minded of all types and ISTJs (due Si and Fi) leading the way.

---

In their defense they would however be open to emotional reason behind a totally opposite point of view due to Fi. They might not agree but they will try to accept/respect.

So if you wish to change the mind of a stubborn judgmental NFP bitch the best thing to do might be to convince them how personally you feel about something they disagree with. You can also lie. As long as you sound sincere they'd fall for it.

Can an NFP confirm the last two paras?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think I am open minded on a more vague level, you know, understanding stuff that goes on in general and why people may think a certain way or things could happen a certain way. Sometimes when I come face to face or emotionally involved with stuff that goes right out the window.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    I don't think so. Sadly I have to elaborate don't I? Can we simply stick to the functions?
    Si and Fi would be counter to being open minded - which I do believe I don't have to elaborate on. Unlike NTPs who'd take information in and deal it with Ti, NFPs deal it with Fi. So there you have it.
    On the other-hand Se users go with the flow - this applies to even NJs. They take information as it comes and changes their perspective on things if the Se brings in more information.
    So theoretically SJs and NFPs should be the least open minded of all types and ISTJs (due Si and Fi) leading the way.

---

In their defense they would however be open to emotional reason behind a totally opposite point of view due to Fi. They might not agree but they will try to accept/respect.

So if you wish to change the mind of a stubborn judgmental NFP bitch the best thing to do might be to convince them how personally you feel about something they disagree with. You can also lie. As long as you sound sincere they'd fall for it.
    Can an NFP confirm the last two paras?
    confirmed.except for the strike. we see through that shit and will forever view you as deceptive snake if you attempt to do so.
    Ne is open minded but
    - Fi: judgmental as hell
    - Te: open minded as long as you have evidence. also the guard dog of Fi, who sicks it on it's enemies
    - Si: not open minded at all "this is how it is and that's that"

so, in other words, you might say "NFPs are open minded.....unless it's something important to them"
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire