User Tag List

First 12

Enneagram
    9w8

Unique Mixture,

Thank you for your insight.

perhaps the truth is simply that what we perceive as present becomes to us what exists

I think for some that is so and perhaps that is why these people fear the "unknown" and the "supernatural" because they remind us of the world that can't be touched, tasted and measured with the finite instruments of this temporal realm.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

@Ene
    I like this. Sometimes I feel similarly, though it's rarer now than it used to be. Makes me think I have lost a part of me on my way through life. Like,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    had forgotten something important that I once knew.
    Your post made me remember a dream I had once. It's hard to describe what it was about, it was mystical. I remember that at the end I felt very happy (in a peaceful, tranquil way) and complete. When I woke up, I almost cried. I wasn't sad - it was rather that I couldn't contain the feelings - they didn't compare to anything coming from this world, and the memory of the dream was so strong. I imagine that having just been born has to be a lot like this.

I feel I can never be an artist though. Almost everything that comes out of my mind goes through the rationality filter, and it seems I can't turn it off. Good thing that there are people who have a better connection with their inner chaos.

MBTI
    ISTP

When I was younger I used to write off most anything "spiritual" or "transcendental" as hippy BS. But around age 16 or 17 completely 180'd on the issue and became very interested in the concepts y'all have been talking about. It gave me some peace of mind during a very stressful time in my life. After I got things back under control I've found that I've really deemphasized the idea, but not abandoned it.
    I don't really think any of us are qualified to say what is the lower or higher form of existence/consciousness, but I personally choose to focus on the one at hand. Like was said before I think that we are here for a reason and that action in this life the key to salvation in the next. While what we experience may only be a small piece of the larger picture I think it is the one that we belong in and are meant to work on. I don't mean that as a criticism wanting to focus on the bigger picture but I think we have enough to deal with in the present and that there will be time for the rest later.

Enneagram
    9w8

Rad3k and Jyrn,

I apologize for not responding to your posts sooner. I was away from TC for a while as I lead a very busy life and I get here in sporadic spurts, but I do want to thank you both for your posts and tell you that I truly enjoyed reading your thoughts on this topic. Rad3K, I especially appreciated your dream, because I so identified with it.

Ene
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    INFJ

Edgar Cayce once said that the purpose of artists in this world was to be a window, showing others a glimpse of true reality, of the spirit world.

Since childhood, I have had the overwhelming sensation that the physical world is not the real world, but more like a stop at a tourist center along the journey to someplace far more wonderful. I used to sit in my swing as a little girl and look up into the clouds. I had never been to church at the time, nor had I received any spiritual teaching, per se. Yet, I knew, was convinced at my very core, that there was more to life than I could see or hear. It was like I had amnesia and had forgotten something important that I once knew. I tried to draw this other place, but I could never quite get it right. Once as a child I did a painting a cemetery with spiritual [they looked kind of like angels] beings above a cloud barrier. I was trying to show that other place which haunted me in my dreams, that stayed in my mind. My mother told me that my painting was morbid, yet that picture comforted me.

As an adult I came to the conclusion that I had been right all along. I became convinced that we are truly spiritual beings, but are momentarily in a physical vehicle that allows us to travel about while we are on visitation to this physical realm. I think of an old gospel song I heard as a teenager, “This world is not my home, I’m just a passing through. My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue.” So, true. That is exactly how I feel, how I have felt my entire life. I am a foreigner in this temporal reality. I’m from some place else. One of these days I will go home again, but in the meantime, I’m on a mission here. I have to leave my drop in the ocean, follow my bliss, be true to my calling. Define it with whatever terms you like, but I know that my life has a purpose and I must be true to that purpose and part of that purpose is to encourage others to be still, hear their hearts, seek God and live according to their purpose.

Everything in nature has a purpose and teaches us that all things have a purpose, so why not us? So, today I encourage you, if there is music in your heart, set it free. If there is a dance in your soul, give it legs. If there are words in you spirit, write them down. If you long to heal, set out on a course to become a doctor or a nurse. If you have the gift to lead and inspire, consider teaching. There is a purpose for your natural bent. Your desire may be the confirmation of the destination. Do not compare yourself to those the world declares successful. I do not have a best seller, but I am a successful writer, because I write what is in my heart and I give the money from my work to the causes I believe in. Success does not always equal fame and fortune. In the world where I’m from success means you have followed your heart and heard from spirit.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a bit about what goes on inside my head.
    I love this thread! And thank you for sharing a little of what goes on inside your head. You've expressed it so beautifully that I'm a little jealous. I've always felt detached--usually just very slightly, not mental illness detached--like part of me is bound to another world.
    The thing you said about forgetting something you once knew--it's like that for me too. Only I'm not sure if it's more like a forgotten memory or a vision of the future or even something that is existing at the same time--it's just out of my ability to grasp or see. It feels like getting a small glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye, but when I try to look at it openly and with both "eyes" it won't let me see it.

The detached feeling is almost always there, even when there are many people around. It's like I'm participating and sharing in the current activity or conversation, but part of me is looking on and watching it all. I've wondered if everyone is feeling the same way. I have a difficult time being in the moment and the only thing that puts me there is emotion.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Ene: you are a magnificent creature.

Enneagram
    9w8

[
    QUOTE=hazelsees;2036481]I love this thread! And thank you for sharing a little of what goes on inside your head. You've expressed it so beautifully that I'm a little jealous. I've always felt detached--usually just very slightly, not mental illness detached--like part of me is bound to another world.
    Thank you, Hazel. It is GOOD to know that others experience this same thing! It somehow connects us. What I really mean is that it does me good to know that others experience it, too. It reminds me that I'm not the only alien on this planet [I mean that metaphorically, of course.]

The thing you said about forgetting something you once knew--it's like that for me too. Only I'm not sure if it's more like a forgotten memory or a vision of the future or even something that is existing at the same time--it's just out of my ability to grasp or see. It feels like getting a small glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye, but when I try to look at it openly and with both "eyes" it won't let me see it.
    I love how you compare it to a vision of the future, as well. Yes....that is a a very good description for sometimes, I, too, feel it is a vision of the future.

The detached feeling is almost always there, even when there are many people around. It's like I'm participating and sharing in the current activity or conversation, but part of me is looking on and watching it all. I've wondered if everyone is feeling the same way. I have a difficult time being in the moment and the only thing that puts me there is emotion.
    [/QUOTE]

This is exactly how it is for me sometimes, too.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Ene: you are a magnificent creature.
    Stanton,

Thank you for the kind words and for the hug!

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Stanton,

Thank you for the kind words and for the hug!
    You're welcome! I have had many thoughts like you describe. It's nice to feel less alone in that regard.

Enneagram
    9w8

Yes, it really is.