• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Why do I severely dislike people?

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not sure really. But is there a reason for me to have such strong and intense feelings of dislike against most people.
The thing is, I think infps are known to be acceptant of almost anyone. The more I think about it, the less I feel my past lives up to this notion.

I always have felt as if I had nihilistic attitudes toward people. :shock: especially people I've deemed superficial on some level... And that happens often... anyone else feel the same?

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
I'm not sure really. But is there a reason for me to have such strong and intense feelings of dislike against most people.
The thing is, I think infps are known to be acceptant of almost anyone. The more I think about it, the less I feel my past lives up to this notion.

I always have felt as if I had nihilistic attitudes toward people. :shock: especially people I've deemed superficial on some level... And that happens often... anyone else feel the same?

Fi can lead to that maybe? Because you have strong values and others don't live up to them?

IDK...sometimes INTJ's in the Ni-Fi loop resemble that...so maybe you are in an Fi-Si loop.

In which case I would suggest, try using some Ne to perceive things from their perspective. You don't have to agree with them, but understanding a situation helps to reduce anger/resentment/judgementalness* at it.

*Is that even a word?:D

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Idealistic tendencies towards humanity that are repeatedly disappointed resulting in disillusionment?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What is it you don't like about them?

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Yeah. But I would say it in a way that everyone understands... :mellow:

To be fair I thought that was simplifying it a bit.

Hmm...ok. Basically a person can hold an idea of how humanity should be, or how things ought to be and this puts them on a pedestal. But then people around them dont fit in with this 'ought'. So now there is this conflict between the ideal, (the pedestal), and the reality of some of the individuals surrounding the person who holds this ideal.

This then results in a dislike of people in general, based upon the lasting impression of negative encounters and experiences. Unfortunately events that evoke a negative reaction are more easily remembered and can leave a bigger impact on a person. So if there were positive people within this mix, their contribution would pale in comparison to the negative people, in the eyes of the individual with the ideal. Eventually the pedestal that humanity is placed on is chipped away bit by bit until it crumbles and the person who held that ideal in the first place becomes very bitter.

It's a by-product of black and white idealism's. Although im not saying this is your issue, just an idea.

That probably isn't any more clear.....

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I'm not really sure. It's like there's all this negative potential in all these relationships that I could have with people. It's almost as if I can tell exactly where something is going once I start commuting with other people.

People, I feel, are obvious. And there are some people who have emotionally scarred me in the past, who I wouldn't view as 'beautiful' contradicting that INFP thing to view 'everyone as beautiful'.

Overall, it's just this quaint feeling that things aren't going to go right with the majority of people that I encounter in life.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I'm not really sure. It's like there's all this negative potential in all these relationships that I could have with people. It's almost as if I can tell exactly where something is going once I start commuting with other people.

People, I feel, are obvious. And there are some people who have emotionally scarred me in the past, who I wouldn't view as 'beautiful' contradicting that INFP thing to view 'everyone as beautiful'.

Overall, it's just this quaint feeling that things aren't going to go right with the majority of people that I encounter in life.

W

WALMART

How so? Is this an enneagram issue?

The weir string is I think I'm a 4w5 or a 1w2 or something rather than a 4w5 like I used to think...

I don't know how seriously I intended to be taken by posting that. AffirmitiveAnxiety did a pretty good job of summing up my thoughts.

People are all swell, each in their own dandy little way. It takes a lot in a person to fully realize that, I believe.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP

I definitely know a few IFP's who have said similair things to me. I think [MENTION=15392]AffirmitiveAnxiety[/MENTION] explained very well why this can happen.

I used to go out with an ISFP girls who was exactly like this.:doh: In the end I lost all patience for her. From what I know, she is still in the same situation 7 years later.

From my point of view, she will never be happy until she stops taking her values as a given and then thinking "why doesn't reality match this", and instead, take reality as her starting point, and find a niche where she can satisfy her Fi within that.

sorenx7

If INFPs are supposed to accept everyone, then that's a description of INFPs that I don't agree with. In fact, I do agree with what you're saying. I think you're just being an INFP. I also think these responses on this thread are really good. So, yes, what you have described does happen often to me, and I do often feel the same as you. I might add that probably what I get most weary of is people misinterpreting. Just last night I got into a totally insane, bewildering, and very bitter argument with someone on a message board. He was actually accusing me of being insensitive about the Connecticut shootings. In fact, he is enraged at my attitude and thinks I'm making jokes about it. In reality, of course, just the opposite is occurring. I am so horrified by the event that I barely even know what to say about it at this point. I can't even begin to try to absorb the horror of this tragedy at this point in time. Yet, there's a guy out there totally convinced that I don't give a damn at all about it. I've had encounters with him before, have no idea what his type is, etc. It's obvious, however, that we're unlikely to ever become best friends.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

The "way something is going" is very much a two way street. What is it that you think you do that causes this negative potential to be realized? I would imagine that it's possible other people pick up on your dislike for them.

Also, on the emotional scarring - I'm not sure what happened there but depending on what it was, that could have a lot to do with this. Trust is probably the #1 thing in relationships.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You accept others, so you feel they -should- accept you as well. When they don't you become upset. This is quite common and understandable and often people who have been through hardship in their life are able to sympathize with others while those who have not been through similar things cannot relate. A more adapted strategy for yourself would perhaps be to try to give the person something that THEY want in a way that still allows you to preserve your integrity and peace of mind.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Because most people are freaking retards who can't escape the matrix that is their pathetic and pointless lives.

Don't worry, I'm one of those people too, and we pretty much all are, at least at our current level of evolution and phase of development.

I will one day achieve the American dream, which is to free all of us slaves, even if it takes eons for its accomplishment!

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
You may see more differences than similarities between yourself and others because you suffer from low self esteem and want to reject people in your mind (or otherwise) before they can reject you. Also you mention that things won't turn out right with most of the people in your life. You have more power to create the relationships you desire in your life than you seem to realise. Why aren't things working out? Is it this negative attitude that may perhaps be turning others off? Who wants to have to prove themselves worthy?

N

NPcomplete

I'd say it's likely that those people don't satisfy the standards you have set internally. Being accepting doesn't always imply liking. You can accept people and feel neutral towards them.

But really, a huge chunk of humanity isn't "likable" at all so :shrug:..

Last edited:

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Most people mindlessly conform, judge anyone different from themselves, and are incapable of critical thought or leaving their comfort zone. It's almost certainly perfectly normal; don't worry.