User Tag List

12 Last

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Default my friend keeps threatening to harm himself

when i look at his life, i can`t see reason for him to do it. on facebook, he writes everyday how difficult it is for him.
    there are so many people who are taken before their time, their future is taken away from them and its not their fault,
    people like guys in this video, who are only 17, with only a few months to live. instead of out there doing things like others his age
    he is writing a goodbye song to his loved ones.

seeing this, it makes me care less about my friend. i feel an urge to punch him in the face, i know this does not make sense. i thought i would vent here and let it out. i cant think properly. he has always been a selfish person, its only recently he started saying stuff like this. he is getting help but he still bitches.

im considering the most constructive way of handling this, i will sleep on it. im open to suggestions
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Be careful about being too harsh to people like that. In my experience, thoughts like that are very rarely based off of any real issue in someones life, they're generally more of a psychological thing without any real cause, so you really shouldn't get irritated just because you can't see any reason for him to be saying such things. Maybe he just wants attention?

I really can't offer any advice to you, though. I'm sure someone else on the forum is better suited to doing that than I am.

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. You friend isn't being selfish and you should not punish him for what he is doing. All he is doing is trying to reach a hightened state or slightly euphoric state via the endorphin release caused as a result of injuring himself. He perhaps harms himself not because he wants to be dead but because he wants to feel alive. Even if he did want to kill himself then again that is not selfish.He is merely making a life decision, one which you could not or would not agree with.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    In my experience, thoughts like that are very rarely based off of any real issue in someones life, they're generally more of a psychological thing without any real cause
    every psychological thing has a real cause, just most the time with more severe cases the real cause is really complex, is buried deep in the unconscious and might not have seemingly anything to do with the symptoms(the psychological thing), for the person himself(due to being deep in unconscious) or to others(due to complexity of the issue and all the shit thats been built on top of the real issue to protect the persons ego from the issue in attempt to make the actual issue go away from consciousness).
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    every psychological thing has a real cause, just most the time with more severe cases the real cause is really complex, is buried deep in the unconscious and might not have seemingly anything to do with the symptoms(the psychological thing), for the person himself(due to being deep in unconscious) or to others(due to complexity of the issue and all the shit thats been built on top of the real issue to protect the persons ego from the issue in attempt to make the actual issue go away from consciousness).
    /Freud

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

tearjerker.

Everyone has a viable reason for feeling suicidal. Just be there and be as present as you possibly can.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    /Freud
    also the current paradigm, except with few changes on the terminology depending on the field of psychology
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    seeing this, it makes me care less about my friend. i feel an urge to punch him in the face, i know this does not make sense. i thought i would vent here and let it out. i cant think properly. he has always been a selfish person, its only recently he started saying stuff like this. he is getting help but he still bitches.

Oh Yeah that's it, let the dark side flow through you. Punch him in the face. Let him know how he's a selfish whiny pussy. Spit in his eyes and then kick in him in the balls.

WAR WAR WAR, EVERYWHERE.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

internal dialogue running inside the peanut that sits between my ears that is encased in my thick skull

i dont have the emotional investment in him as i would toward my other friends and because of this, i cant be the supportive thing he needs in his life.

you cant just be only about yourself, burning your bridges and turn depressed and expect people to suddenly feel empathy for you because you are a person, and treat you fragile. im not young or one of those rare people who muster feelings to heal others like mother Theresa. i have no saintliness in me. i dont even have enough in me to wish him well because i simply dont care. i can wake up tomarrow and still find joy in the beautiful sun and i will see clearly the beautiful stars shining bright into the night.

i already begun the separation process. im going to be selfish. yes i feel empathy, i feel it for old couples, those who are fragile, people who were not given a fair shake, people i kjnow in depth, strangers as well, its odd but not this person.

its silly to punch someone who is depressed, block headish. im a bit of one, i suppose....
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by gasoline View Post
    i dont have the emotional investment in him as i would toward my other friends and because of this
    Fi much?
    — C.G. Jung

Read