User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

My empathy decreases when:

1. The person is being insincere (either when a person is 'performing' or when they're being blatantly dishonest
    2. The person constantly complains
    3. The person takes advantage of someone
    4. The person makes a logically inconsistent argument
    5. The person doesn't show an appropriate amount of tact and respect while arguing his/her point - unproductive abrasivity is just self-indulgent and dumb
    6. The person is unable to admit to being wrong / generally unable to be self-critical

I'm not totally sure what you mean by losing empathy...if I'm actually dealing with such a person, I don't get visibly upset (usually), I just temporarily hate them. If I'm not dealing with them, I rant to someone else until I get over it.

My dad is an INFJ, and my list above probably describes him pretty accurately too. But he's more likely to let his anger show around co-workers and other people he's less familiar with, while I only show it around those close to me. And yeah, he's definitely a door-slammer. I'm explosive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4 sx
    Socionics
    POOp

Any time a person displays cruelty and/or makes a completely unwarranted attack against a person, I completely shut down any empathy I might feel or being trying to feel with them.

Often the shutdown will occur and I'll be really upset or disgusted with that person, but if I have enough time away from them I can usually talk myself back into seeing them as not a completely worthless person and begin empathizing (or maybe sympathizing is better word) with them. "Oh, they act this way because these bad things happened to them that made them so negative"

If I can justify their behavior with a bad childhood or something, I can pity them and even care about them, but I've learned through the years that I get taken advantage of very easily due to this sympathetic and caring nature. Now I usually give people who do something terrible a second and maybe even a third chance, but if they consistently are malicious in their behavior and seem disingenuous with their apologies I quickly cut them out of my life.

There are also a few crimes that go against my values so much that I can't see a person who commits them as anything less than a monster.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't lose it. I just pretend to.

I tend to be easily placated if somebody knows my weaknesses, but most times they just continue to be a butt so my shutout bluff usually does work.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    The typo in the title makes me lose empathy.

(I wish I was kidding.)
    I apologize. I'm admittedly horrible at spelling. I suspect I am also mildly dyslexic so spelling is something I have always had to work at. I was tested as a child and was within 1 or 2 points of being diagnosed with it. It's also very frustrating for me. I always test well for comprehension and when I speak I love to use colorful words that I cannot spell. It makes me feel pretty stupid but it's just one of those things you know. It's really a touchy thing for me but I'm not illiterate it's just never come easy for me. I also tend to be a bit careless when posting on here otherwise it would take me years to write anything but from now on i'll at least try to get the title right.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I don't lose it. I just pretend to.

I tend to be easily placated if somebody knows my weaknesses, but most times they just continue to be a butt so my shutout bluff usually does work.
    That's a hard thing to deal with. I relate to this slightly only I can stop caring in some cases but there will be this little nugget in me that ever so often will make me care. It is promptly shutdown again when I am reminded of the offense that made me apathetic in the first place. Sometime I get upset at them all over again for the a part of me that still does care when I know I shouldn't. I kind of feel like i'm being manipulated by their memory which( in my warped mind) is still their fault.

What i'm wondering is does the intensity of empathy at least decrease over time? I know it would all but kill me if I pretended not to care and really did. I'd break down have a heart to heart with that person and end up forgiving them. The only way I could deal is if over time the intensity changed to a level of empathy I could cope with. I'm guessing it also depends on the extent to which you cared for them in the first place as well.
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    Ell

This really resonated with me because I do the exact same thing, I feel like I'm at the point where I feel like only a few people are worth my time/empathy. As I get older I'm getting more emotionally closed off I guess. I feel like when I was younger this wouldn't really happen- I would give people a lot of chances.
    I think it's because I was going through a lot of personal problems with depression and once I finally got rid of most of it I just lost my patience with people.
    There's someone I knew struggling with it and I tried to help her despite some issues I already had with her, then I found out some horrible things she did in the past (which made me lose all respect for her) while in the present she was cutting herself and trying to "kill herself" with antidepressants. I don't mean to sound harsh but I knew from personal experience she wasn't going to get better for a long time, I wasn't going to be any help, it was difficult to talk to her/be around her, she certainly and she did not want to get better. I hold a deep grudge against her for some things and feel a huge wall against her. There's a side to me that hope she gets better but I honestly do not want anything to do with her.
    My ex said I could be very judgmental as well- I know I still am luckily my current boyfriend doesn't mind.
    Even though I didn't hit on a lot of things on your post thank you for posting it, it really conveyed a lot of feelings/thoughts I've been having lately and haven't been able to put into words

Apologies if this is all over the place and hard to read- I'm very out of it right now and about to fall asleep

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    Ell

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Pretty much exactly the same for me. I would add: When someone is unwilling to help themselves.
    I feel like when I feel like I'm being taken advantage of, someone's wronged someone close to me, or they are unwilling to help themselves are the biggest factors for me

MBTI
    MBTI
    Enneagram
    0w0

this might sound silly, but boredom. other than that, i think my empathy is really on always even if im trying to ignore it, or like in most cases, lack inspiration to.

or i mean, i am ALWAYS extremely receptive of others, but boredom makes me unable to care to react to it which might be seen as narcissistic. but this is mostly untrue at one on ones, i always become reactive then, but its unfortunate people dont understand my failure to be receptive when the one on one contact isnt created is seen as narcissism.
    healthiness is all about appreciating other peoples inferior function. its like the sore spot no one ever notices, but we desperately wish they did, and if you focus on doing that, youll have many friends. and also learn to appreciate your own inferior function, others wont find it stupid if you show them how cool it is.

INTJ 4w3 Sp Sx. (i dont believe in tritype. i do believe in learning traits from others.)

mistakes happen. expect them, and grow from them. look for them, and avoid them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm not sure this response is in the spirit of the original post, but I can no longer watch horror/gore movies because it numbs me to pain, suffering, etc. for hours, sometimes days.

When I was in high school some friends and I got together to watch all the then-released Saw movies. The first few hours were brutal, but by the end I couldn't feel anything. I'd watch an assortment of limbs being hacked off of weeping and wailing victims. No response. It took several days after before I was back to my normal self, and since then I've sworn off the horror genre all together.

I really appreciate my sensitivity to things like that, and now that I'm older and a bit wiser I do my best to not participate in anything that may jeopardize my empathy.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I can only lose it temporarily. If the person apologizes and is genuinely contrite, I will forgive them. Because I can, and consider it a duty to act in the most open and ethical manner.