• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and emotional dishonesty

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This almost exactly for me too.

^^

I'd add that while I hate conflict, I wish for issues to be resolved- if I see a pattern that's going to continue, longterm, it needs to be discussed & dealt with, if & whenever possible. The sooner the better, in most cases, providing both parties are calm/receptive.
"Conflict" is not always synonymous with "fight," in my mind. This approach will always depend on the individuals involved, and the context of the situation at hand, of course.

@the OP - I think a lot of the denial/defensiveness is coming from an perpetuating dysfunctional family dynamic.. it's a cycle that's hard to break, and potentially independent of type, entirely, as it will occur with other types, as well, under similar circumstances. There's something feeding the behavior, some core there that needs to be examined, if that makes sense.

G

Ginkgo

I think 90% of the time, I am unaware of my emotions; they seem to cause and inhibit more rational trains of thought on general self-awareness. I'm more likely to keep emotions under wraps unless they are actually pertinent, and I'm probably never going to actually rationalize them for someone unless I perceive the conditions are extremely trustworthy.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
@ladymish

I wouldn't call these examples of "dishonesty", because I don't really think it's anyone's responsibility to share their emotions. They can be very private and personal. I've never met an NF who experiences difficulty expressing emotion, but I've met plenty who dislike doing so.

Example with the ENFP may very well be him acknowledging that he knows he should feel happy for her, and trying to express that. It's a weird conflict of her being on his mind because he's obsessed but also his rational side realizing that he can't really objectively fault her. So he talks about her to vent his emotions and tries to convince himself that he's okay, even though he's not. But he knows he should be. But he's not.

As for the INFPs, they're probably enneagram 9s. It's not an NF thing. I approach conflict the same way you do, getting it over with ASAP.

wouldn't it be better to try and actually work it out rather than letting it happen over and over? These conflicts really upset me and everyone involved, I don't understand why they aren't willing to help do their part to try and resolve it. Or resolve some of it. or at least clear up misunderstandings (of which I assume there are many because humans = complex).

Yes... though what I've learned is with 9s it's easier to approach situations during peacetime in a gentle, constructive way. Saying, I feel like _____ is creating conflict for us, maybe we could try _______, instead of being more blunt. Counterintuitively, the less you push, the more progress you will make.

ladymish

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yàlls are probably right that this is less a type thing and more a bunch-of-effed-up-people thing. Ha ha. I have a very hard time giving up on a situation, and it depresses me to do so, but I`m not sure there`s any other option here. Communication seems virtually impossible between us.

I wouldn't call these examples of "dishonesty", because I don't really think it's anyone's responsibility to share their emotions. They can be very private and personal. I've never met an NF who experiences difficulty expressing emotion, but I've met plenty who dislike doing so.

No, no one *has* to share their emotions on demand. But to me "I'm not sad" from someone who very clearly is is simply dishonesty. "I don't want to discuss how I feel right now" would not be dishonest, imo.

Example with the ENFP may very well be him acknowledging that he knows he should feel happy for her, and trying to express that. It's a weird conflict of her being on his mind because he's obsessed but also his rational side realizing that he can't really objectively fault her. So he talks about her to vent his emotions and tries to convince himself that he's okay, even though he's not. But he knows he should be. But he's not.

I suspect you're mostly right about this. It still sort of intrigues me, tho. I would definitely answer "yes I'm jealous and it's bothering the eff out of me" asked the same question in the same situation. I've been there, it sucks, denying it didn't help (me) at all. When i first knew this guy he came across as quite emotionally open and I'm not saying he isn't that, I don't think, but he shows a definite tendency to want to shun and/or deny any emotions he feels might not reflect well on him. Maybe it's his age, he is 23, I dunno.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Personally, I close up when it comes to emotions. I have them, I know them, I feel them, etc... but it's rare I'll actually have open discussion with them. It's rare that I'll let anyone who even asks about them get anywhere closer than an "It's nothing" or "All good". For me, it's the fact that I can't handle having other people in my emotional business because it is such a tender spot in my existence. If someone gets their grubby paws in there- they can throw everything off balance.
Beyond that, I am a big fan of rationalization vs emotions. Huge fan of how something can be viewed in many different lights, especially emotional lights. Within that it becomes easy to neglect the emotional for rational reasoning and the rational for emotional reasoning. My biggest conflict is that I am typically neglecting for the wrong team, when I should be embracing for the other.

I'm not sure if this runs true of many other NFs or if perhaps it is just a "Me" thing. I guess it's best to see if you can get to the tick tock of the NF's you're dealing with, but without getting all up in their stuffing-fluff.