• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFPs, what do INFJs do that drives you nuts?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Mane's contribution made it take a different turn (such as adding the word "remorse", which I still thank him for; no, I see no manipulative villain in him either...rather, he has helped restore good faith).

Yes, there were pros and cons of [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] jumping in; but he certainly came into this thread with his own agenda. He saw an opportunity to again pursue his healing journey and I honestly don't begrudge him that. And he knows the thread took on collateral damage as a result. Mane chose a word that definitely brought out some very strong emotions and reactions from the INFJ camp, which is cool yet also problematic. The issue is for me 1.) I still think remorse is the wrong word 2.) He chose it specifically to elicit maximal reactivity and 3.) It increased the number of INFJ's that have checked out of this thread.

Some useful stuff came out of that, but from my perspective, at a high price.

I suppose you too were looking to bring to balance your negative personal experiences, challenge what was starting to look like patterns in your life ... the point evades me trying to explain why that's stressful to INFJ's, but I guess it is what it is. It's about mixing personal stuff with theoretical stuff ... yet the fundament for theoretical stuff is often that same empirical data.

Ah well, I just started thinking again and I already feel muddy on it. It'll take time for the silt to drop out of the water for me on this thread.

There's an obvious difference. It only has to be explained if people insist on making everything black & white, in which case, they don't really want to understand the difference. These detractors don't have anything to do with the core discussion though. They can't contribute nor take away.

I think there's an obvious difference too. But if INFJ's don't see it that way, I don't know how to reconcile that. :shrug:

Also, let's review the thread title: "INFPs, what do INFJs do that drives you nuts?". My initial post was answering that question, which was solicited by an INFJ. The first few paragraphs were certainly wry, and I don't see the difference between it and INFP fluffy bunny half-jokes, or ESTJ micro-manager half-jokes, etc. I didn't think INFJs were above a razz, and of course there is some real irritation there (see the thread topic again).

Yes, if I have any bone to pick it's with the whole premise of the thread. It was an invitation, and I for one decided to come back to the party and perhaps learn some more about INFJ's too, expand my understanding. But I feel like I've been handed my hat and I'm standing at the door on my way out. And, I don't dare turn my back or I may find a hatchet buried in it :laugh: ...

Anyways, I have no hard feelings, and I hope no one has any against me; please send me a PM if you do and I will happy to work through it - I was happy to learn a couple of extra things and if I can expand my thoughts on remorse specifically I'll post back on that.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there's an obvious difference too. But if INFJ's don't see it that way, I don't know how to reconcile that. :shrug:

I didn't think it needed to be said (plus I think you were originally addressing just Z Buck when inquiring?), but I think there's a difference. I outlined in earlier posts what my thoughts were on the list, as well as tilty's post.

Peacebaby said:
I suppose you too were looking to bring to balance your negative personal experiences, challenge what was starting to look like patterns in your life ... the point evades me trying to explain why that's stressful to INFJ's, but I guess it is what it is. It's about mixing personal stuff with theoretical stuff ... yet the fundament for theoretical stuff is often that same empirical data.

I'm not sure I can say any more on the 'List', other than my earlier posts where I tried to explain why the list approach didn't make sense to me. But to address what you just mentioned here, I think you raise another element that struck me the wrong way; namely, that OA and Mane both came in for highly personal reasons, to try to change their own perceptions of infj's. So given their desire to be 'proven wrong', it wasn't really impersonal/theoretical, imo, because they had specific things they were seeking, and specific 'stories' they wanted to hear. So it didn't seem to be about understanding us, really, it was about them wanting to change their perspective on infj's.

And generally how my mind works... I'm not of a 'prove me wrong' mentality, ever. It's just not how I approach things. So when I'm asked to do that, my initial reaction is.... why? It's not on me to convince you to like me or understand me. Turning it around, with any of my friends, in any of my relationships, I don't ask people to prove something, to convince me, to change my thinking... I don't think that's fair. I let people be who they are, I ask questions to better understand if I'm confused or need more data, and if who they are isn't something in the end I'm ok with, then that's that. I don't ask for them to change, and don't want them to change just because of me.

So the approach is just different. Foreign/confusing to me.

Gotta sign off for a while... other things to do!!

Standuble

This can only end in blood, peace will only ever be a temporary ceasefire in the never ending conflict that is INFP vs INFJ (though personally there are numerous other types I personally think we should go to war with.) Sooner or later Fe and Fi will clash whether it be via the ink in the pen or via the steel in the sword. Stop pulling your punches people and shoot to kill. People are viewing so get to business!

Not to biased but my money is on the INFPs winning this conflict. Summon the cruelty that lies in the darkness of your hearts envious and seething brethren of the dark and turn a blind eye to the blind beggar of impersonal logic and strike red hot with the wickedly sharp blade which brings all to its knees. Bring ruin to your neighbour's house so he may witness only dust and smoke. Chop Chop!

Permabanned
This can only end in blood, peace will only ever be a temporary ceasefire in the never ending conflict that is INFP vs INFJ (though personally there are numerous other types I personally think we should go to war with.) Sooner or later Fe and Fi will clash whether it be via ink from pen or steel from sword. Stop pulling your punches people and shoot to kill. People are viewing so get to business!

Standuble

If its form can be used as a blunt instrument to concuss or confuse and its sound can be summoned to cause the crowds to weep of every flavour of emotion then I shall throw my support behind the violin. Like Nero wanted, we shall sing to our enemies on the battlefield this day!

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I have learned a lot following this thread. So all this effort by all the parties involved wasn't for naught.

Every time I think I have a clear handle on Fe/Ti versus Fi/Te differences, I'm humbled by my obvious lack of understanding. It still blows my mind how differently Fe/Ti users think compared to me. This thread has only re-illustrated how much I still have to learn here.

I want to thank all the INFJs who participated in this thread up until this point. The patience you took to explain yourselves was admirable indeed. I would read your long posts and say to myself, "Wow. That took a lot of time to put together." I don't know if I'd have had that kind of patience were I in your shoes.

I also wanted to thank [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION], [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION], and [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION]. You guys were really in the hot seat for a while. What you wrote was just as helpful.

:hug:

S

Society

namely, that OA and Mane both came in for highly personal reasons, to try to change their own perceptions of infj's. So given their desire to be 'proven wrong', it wasn't really impersonal/theoretical, imo, because they had specific things they were seeking, and specific 'stories' they wanted to hear. So it didn't seem to be about understanding us, really, it was about them wanting to change their perspective on infj's.

that doesn't make sense in regards to OA, i mean, where you expecting INFPs to tell about things INFJs they didn't know do that drives them nuts? "i don't like how the author herman hesse caved in to sociological pressures and resigned as a political commentator shortly after the first world war." :shrug:

in regards to me: how would the accusation that INFJs don't meet certain expectations in inter-personal relations go any better if i didn't try to devise a way for INFJs to show that they do? i know i was being brash as f', but i did try a much more gentle approach first, and demonstrating the solution by example failed miserably. once that failed, i knew deciding to go through with this would likely hurt some feelings along the way, and more so i knew how it looked and i knew the potential sociological consequences for me, but could someone explain to me, what positive trajectory was there? what possible good for anyone could come from "INFJs do this"->"deny"-> rinse & repeat? everyone walking out of it thinking that everyone else is an asshole?
the few who got hurt and insulted have an easy avenue of healing by discrediting me as delusional or post-traumatic (one even went on to make a highly constructive and introspective thread inspired by this in the general psychology section, another privately informed me it helped her come to a final decision on something she has being looking to do), and at least a couple of INFJs here have attested that this has gave them a lot of food for thought in one direction or another. with me coming in, most of the return fire would be pulled towards me, and since i already gave most of the INFJ-defense squad here reasons to disdain me last time we met in an INFJ thread, no prior bridges where built where they would now have being burned. i can see how the notion of injustice might be be highly applicable here, the eggs that where broken aren't the ones being served the omelets, but i'm not the only one who can enjoy that omelet, and since everyone could only participate voluntarily, justice can go screw itself. my reasons to "help" were in no way pure, and indeed extremely self-serving, but purity of intent can go hang out with justice. [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION], maybe not everything is so far accounted for, but it seems to me the total net gain has being higher then then the total net loss, what am i missing?

tl;dr:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
bleh, I'm tired, so I'm done. Just wanted to say that rather than completely not respond.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So much fun occasionally to be wound up by an ENTP. :smile:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I didn't think it needed to be said (plus I think you were originally addressing just Z Buck when inquiring?), but I think there's a difference. I outlined in earlier posts what my thoughts were on the list, as well as tilty's post.

Yes, and thanks. :)

So given their desire to be 'proven wrong', it wasn't really impersonal/theoretical, imo, because they had specific things they were seeking, and specific 'stories' they wanted to hear. So it didn't seem to be about understanding us, really, it was about them wanting to change their perspective on infj's.

I guess I see that as positive, that they want to change / update / flesh out perspective? Ah well, I can see your points here too, perhaps fleshing out the intent / trying to outline a purpose ahead of time would have gone a long way to INFJ's being patient with any approach?

-----

...maybe not everything is so far accounted for, but it seems to me the total net gain has being higher then then the total net loss, what am i missing?

You've summarized it pretty well. I can't deny you were strategic, and in a weird way, I admire it even. I calculate the human cost higher than you do I suppose. Plus, I hope the people who've been hurt don't stay away from the forum forever ... hope that omelette is tasty for you.

I think I'm beginning to understand why ENTP's drive INFJ's nuts ...

That's a Bad ENTP [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]. Go over to your corner!

S

Society

That's a Bad ENTP [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]. Go over to your corner!

that reminds me, am i the only one who noted the extreme relevance and contribution [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] had to this discussion in every single contentless post?

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
~ Elbert Hubbard

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

There are obvious differences. It seems to me there are similarities too, which if looked at might reveal something to make our position directly understandable. I didn't see it as black and white/ 'obviously' entirely different or entirely the same. I think reducing it to 'ad hominem' vs. a list of impersonal theory (even though I've already explained more times than I can count it stopped being 'impersonal' with repeated insinuation it applies directly to the INFJs here- and the 'unwillingness to admit it' was denial*) makes it look black and white and discounts the opportunity to gain understanding from the parallel it presents.

But honestly this whole thread seems more exhausting than is worthwhile, so nevermind.

eta: I realize what I said here applies just as much to what PB was originally trying to get across (with the ‘family album’ analogy- ‘to be sure there are differences, but for the sake of argument *can you see* the similarities?’). As I see it, the urge to differentiate Tilty’s response as “ad hominem” and therefore *different* is very much like the urge I initially had to differentiate OA’s list as ‘mentally ill’; I was going to try to make the point "yeah, similarities.....but see how it also feels important to make that distinction?" but I ran out of steam.

*If anyone goes back to look- the very first post (fid) after OA's started with an attempt to clarify if OA's post was supposed to apply to the INFJs here. And the second one as well (SilkRoad). If OA had addressed that, and stated some kind of at least temporary reprieve of the "if an INFJ doesn't go along with this, it's because they're all so bad at denial" insinuations.....it might have gone a different direction, but she didn't. Declaring 'impersonal theory' isn't what makes something impersonal theory....keeping it impersonal and removing personal agendas is what makes it impersonal.

Now, I daresay, this is exactly what [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION] was looking for in response from INFJ's. Say yes, say no, point / counter-point. Not saying that uumlau is right or wrong either, just what his experience was, and I'm just including this for illustrative purposes. Maybe that's it though, it really is a third party thing. But I'd rather get the story first-hand! I would want to hear it from INFJ's!

I like the way uumlau described being NiJe and dealing with someone spewing Ji details, here in the first INFJ/P jamboree. It really does very much come across as “Emo emo emo, emo emo. Emo? Emo emo.” It makes no sense. And I can’t shake the feeling this ‘denial’ bullshit is because we didn’t give the “Emo emo emo” response that would fill in the blanks for her. As I already said, I personally didn’t begin to understand what she was looking for in posting her list. It made no sense. It isn’t about unwillingness (or 'denial' or being excessively and irresponsibly avoidant- which, as I have already explained, is when this started getting offensive).

Last edited:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Great post, but it needs more cowbell. I mean emo.

sorenx7

What I have to say about this thread is I think OrangeAppled and Standuble are freaking brilliant. Also, PeaceBaby really needs to be Secretary of State rather than John Kerry. (Not that there is anything wrong with Kerry.) She's just better.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This thread has been rather perplexing to me. Some of my favorite members on this forum are INFJs. I like them and I really enjoy reading their posts. My biggest reaction to this thread has been an ongoing confusion as to why the INFJs reacted so strongly to the feedback from a few posters.

I have learned a lot following this thread. So all this effort by all the parties involved wasn't for naught.

Every time I think I have a clear handle on Fe/Ti versus Fi/Te differences, I'm humbled by my obvious lack of understanding. It still blows my mind how differently Fe/Ti users think compared to me. This thread has only re-illustrated how much I still have to learn here.

I feel quite the same way.

I think the problem here at its core is that Se-inf's are just delusional and paranoid. Your own experiential truth is derived from lack of observation and from patterns which are removed from reality due to their subjective nature and uninterested in confirming whether they should continue to exist.

All perception is contained within the universe after all, all that is must be contained within its principles and laws. Yet how many times does Ni come to conclusions which just aren't correct which are removed from how the universe works? I've seen Ni users make false assumptions on the motives of others based on their perception which simply cannot be realised or achieved (e.g. someone is sleeping with Ni user's wife even though they are 5000 miles away at the moment the incident supposedly took place.)

Exaggerated and overly harsh to be sure but if we are honest with ourselves, there are grains of truth. Ni doms can be a little delusional and paranoid. There is this overactive imagination and at times a tendency to obsess about things in their head. There is also a tendency to be arrogant and stubbornly cling to these perceptions. I’ve read about it. I have experienced it. It’s ok. Ni is not perfect and it’s important it be balanced with other things. Accept this in ourselves. It’s a little like Enneagram in that way – the perceptions can be distorted and not entirely aligned with reality. Our intuition is not flawless. Having an awareness of this occasionally distorted perspective is what’s important. It is the foundation for addressing it.

As an aside, I see absolutely no evidence whatsoever of @OrangeApplied and [MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION] being manipulative or trying to push other people’s triggers. I have seen no harmful intent at all. I admire their persistence, honesty and directness. Are their perspectives biased by personal experiences? Sure. All of ours are. I think there might be grains of truth in several of those things in OP's list - for Ni doms in general. It's not that horrible.

the pattern underlining most (if not all - just in case i missed something) of the complaints is that the INFJs in the various lives of the INFPs here are complaining about, can be summed up in one belief:

the belief that those INFJs weren't capable of experiencing remorse.

It's already been said but I see no reason at all why this behavior would limited to INFJs. I’ve had this experience with others – ESTJs, ISFJs, ISFPs, ENTJs, INTJs, ISTJs, etc. It's very much situational. It’s a difficult thing because there is remorse that is expressed and remorse that is felt. Those two are not anywhere close to being the same. How can you know what is in someone else’s mind? [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] had a really nice post on this topic and the 5 ways it is expressed.

What I'm trying to get at is that I do make a big effort to not affect others badly, and if possible to affect them in positive ways; to be pleasant to be around, to be helpful and kind, all that sort of thing.

I don't think that's necessarily because I'm such a wonderful person, it just feels really bad to me, really exposing and embarrassing.

So bringing this back to the remorse thing - I feel like a lot, if not the majority, of the mistakes I make are between me and me, or between me and God.

It seems your sense of self is very much tied to this view of yourself – as a positive influence on others. It’s interesting when viewed in relation to the last point. I wonder what would happen if there was another thread that said one of Te user’s weakness is they are incapable of remorse.

I could do what you're doing to most of us in this thread - which is calling us liars. Telling us we have no self-awareness. Telling us that we have the empathy and remorse levels of psychopaths.

Getting past the precise words, which are clearly affected by previous experiences, I hear a couple of people saying INFJs have gaps in self-awareness. We all have gaps in-self awareness. I’m hearing them saying that INFJs don’t feel remorse because they blame things on others or because they don’t express it in a way that the other person needs to hear. Is that such a horrible thing if it were true? I can see the same behavior in other types – like a certain ISFJ that I know :). Does that make her a horrible person? No.

Again, I'm not sure that the feeling of remorse carries much weight with us (Fi places more emphasis on emotion), so much as the effect of remorse (Fe places more weight on outcome).

This seems to hit the nail on the head though even with all of the words in this thread, and all of the examples of remorse that have been described, it is more difficult for me to precisely understand exactly how the INFJ is expressing remorse to the person on the receiving end which does have an impact to that person. That, it seems to me might be a central point. I heard one poster suggest that such a thing is not particularly useful because really everyone is responsible for working through their own feelings themselves. It's an interesting point of view with certainly a great deal of validity. However... Mane’s heartfelt letter is how he expressed remorse. I think his question might be how an INFJ would do this? How would they react to a letter like that? That’s why he was asking for examples. I’ve been on the receiving end of this kind of thing but not with an INFJ - and again, I'm not sure this is limited to INFJs. What was been hurtful in those situations was the failure of that other person to express any regret, remorse, own up to their responsibility in any way or even indicate that they really cared. The things that went wrong were all my fault. There was an unwillingness to communicate much at all really (perhaps avoiding an uncomfortable situation?). Those kinds of things do have a negative impact in an some cases, it can be quite significant, whether the other person realizes it or not.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Deleted

Last edited: