• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFP vs. INFJ

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the difference between Fe (INFJ) and Fi (INFP) is vast.

Fe seems to look down from above, from a larger picture. It looks at the whole situation, and what you feel is part of the whole bigger picture of how everybody (both those who are involved in the situation and all others -- society, other societies, the world) feels.

Fi seems to look out. You're in you, and you look out at the world. Your feelings are separated from the rest of the world. It's like you're looking through glass...

I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how I feel. :blush: It's the difference in direction and viewpoint.

Game. Set. Match.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Well for one thing they use different cognitive functions.

Hazle Weatherfield

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w4
I used to be INFP because my J was underdeveloped. Or rather I was INFJ but I didn't know it. Sometimes I still wonder if I'm correct.

INFPs are much more optimistic.

How are they most different socially, intellectually, and emotionally?

Intellectually, INFJs are more philosophical and more realistic about their ideals. Focused on justice. Like the idea of a 'poetic justice' than forgiveness. Punishing those who did wrong, by a higher power/karma sort of thing.

Socially, INFPs are more mellow, laid-back socially.

Emotionally, INFJs are more aggressive, not in a bad way, just more certain.

That's from what I know between me and my INFP friend. I could be wrong.

I agree with you based on what I know between me and my INFJ friend.

TheEmeraldCanopy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
The INFJs counsel, the INFPs heal... (according to some profiles)

But what exactly does this mean? What does this look like in the real world, to someone observing from afar?

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
The INFJs counsel, the INFPs heal... (according to some profiles)

But what exactly does this mean? What does this look like in the real world, to someone observing from afar?

I think I can answer this. My late father was an INFP, I have a few INFP friends and I'm INFJ. In my experience, the INFPs care so much about peace and harmony that they'll often just listen to you when you are sharing your hardships and comfort you with abstract kindness, won't say much, but you'll feel better somehow. They'll "heal" you in this absolutely abstract way.

INFJs can do this as well, but they'll often give advice (counseling) as well and speak more, with a frank tone, so you'll know what to do concretely about your problem, not just cry over it.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Healing means we rip their makeshift bandage off, poke around the metaphorical wound a bit to see what's going on, apply some salve that stings like crazy, and then put a flexible, comfortable bandage on so they can walk again. It's NOT always a nicey-nice process. Although I think we simply listen and empathize a lot as a part of that process. The thing is, we demand you to open up, and that process in itself can be simultaneously painful and relieving to people. I often will give people advice (if they seem to be asking for it), but it's more of a suggesting than a directing.

Counseling seems to be an advising on what is the wise course. It seems to start on the outside (whereas, healing starts on the inside), working it's way in, which makes sense, as Fe is more about external harmony. INFJs seem to dig less into how someone feels than to advise on what they should be doing/feeling to create balance in their life.

JFrombaugh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Heh, don't know what that is based on but in my experience it is very accurate. My best friend is an INFP. She is a much better driver than me, but I believe I am a better housekeeper. I don't think this has anything to do with ability, it's just messy kitchens do bother me, but they don't seem to bother her. *shrugs* Driving can make me nervous, although I'm much more comfortable with it than I was, still if we go someplace together she is generally the one that drives.

It’s interesting you say that…I agree about the housekeeping part, but I’ve always felt that both types are (for the most part) pretty good drivers, or at least courteous & less inclined to drive aggressively...I can't really say about how alert they are though.

But I digress. As for differences between the two types that I’ve found in experience:

-INFPs are more humorful & lighthearted, INFJs tend to take things more seriously (although many do have a sense of humor, even if it’s specialized)

-INFPs are sensitive, laid-back & free spirited, and they dislike being told what to do. Well, dislike is too strong a word – most are happy to be of service to people they like and can be loyal followers, but they resent it when people act domineering & dictorial. INFJs generally are better able to give & take orders easily than INFPs, although they too will rebuke people that seem to be trying to intimidate them and push them around.

-INFJs need to have direction & order in their lives, untidiness & unpredictability overwhelm them. INFPs...not so much. :newwink:

-INFPs tend to take longer to provoke than INFJs, but also longer to get over things.

-Both types are individualists. They will find their own way in this world, live life according to their ideals & beliefs, and side with whichever teams they want to. But I think awy nailed the difference:

Intellectually, INFJs are more philosophical and more realistic about their ideals. Focused on justice. Like the idea of a 'poetic justice' than forgiveness. Punishing those who did wrong, by a higher power/karma sort of thing.

Both types often have the same kinds of opinions about things, but INFPs tend to treat them more as “personal codes” that they’ve spontaneously developed. With INFJs it’s all about how the ideal or belief comes into the greater picture of the world at large – INFJs are kind of like priests, they need to feel they’re making the world a better place.

Those are just the main differences that I’ve noticed though. IMO both types are pretty similar when it comes down to it. :yes:

Tantive

MBTI Type
INFP
Could you expand on that. I'm not certain of the distinction between the two, but it could well be fundamentally important.

Hmm...well the example that comes to mind: The ethical man knows its wrong to cheat on his wife. The moral man wouldn't.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm gonna have to disagree with this assessment. I am INFP and one of the most passionate, spunky people I know. INFJs care about and need people more than INFPs do. they also tend to be much more merciful than we are. we are 99% of the time merciful too, but we have limits of what is forgivable, if it comes down to it and your true colors are evil, we will kill you if we need to (and sometimes if we don't need to). for instance, let's say one came across a pedophile being caught in the act, many INFPs (self included) would straight up kill his ass right there. if anything, I think the idea of poetic justice applies more to us (although it certainly might for you as well, I would have to be an INFJ to know for sure). INFJs seem more like they would want to see him severely punished, but rehabilitated. FJs in general really just want the world to be this one big happy family where everyone loves and helps each other (but that's not to say that INFJs are well aware of the treachery man is capable of, they perhaps know this better than we INFPs do) I mean don't get me wrong, 90% of the time, we are docile, gentle and laid back (even somewhat silly) as you said, but when out values are violated, we can turn into a completely different person. this is personified in many stories where the hero will actually transform into a more powerful, ruthless form when greatly angered or is protecting someone.
PS: one of the things I really like about you guys (INFJs) is that INFJs pretty much seem to care about everyone immediately. as an INFP, I genuinely don't care about anyone until I form a sort of bond with them. if most of the people I knew died, I would be almost completely apathetic. I mean, I would show respect and comfort those who took it hard, but I wouldn't feel much if any emotion myself. however, if it was someone I was really close to, this would be a different story. still, I feel like I should care more about people than I do, but the emotions often are just not there.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Fi (personal values one holds) is at your forefront. I think the above is a great example of that.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
upset an infp and he will go inside his head feeling miserable, upset an infj and you get yelled at

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I'm gonna have to disagree with this assessment. I am INFP and one of the most passionate, spunky people I know. INFJs care about and need people more than INFPs do. they also tend to be much more merciful than we are. we are 99% of the time merciful too, but we have limits of what is forgivable, if it comes down to it and your true colors are evil, we will kill you if we need to (and sometimes if we don't need to). for instance, let's say one came across a pedophile being caught in the act, many INFPs (self included) would straight up kill his ass right there. if anything, I think the idea of poetic justice applies more to us (although it certainly might for you as well, I would have to be an INFJ to know for sure). INFJs seem more like they would want to see him severely punished, but rehabilitated. FJs in general really just want the world to be this one big happy family where everyone loves and helps each other (but that's not to say that INFJs are well aware of the treachery man is capable of, they perhaps know this better than we INFPs do) I mean don't get me wrong, 90% of the time, we are docile, gentle and laid back (even somewhat silly) as you said, but when out values are violated, we can turn into a completely different person. this is personified in many stories where the hero will actually transform into a more powerful, ruthless form when greatly angered or is protecting someone.
PS: one of the things I really like about you guys (INFJs) is that INFJs pretty much seem to care about everyone immediately. as an INFP, I genuinely don't care about anyone until I form a sort of bond with them. if most of the people I knew died, I would be almost completely apathetic. I mean, I would show respect and comfort those who took it hard, but I wouldn't feel much if any emotion myself. however, if it was someone I was really close to, this would be a different story. still, I feel like I should care more about people than I do, but the emotions often are just not there.

Well said.

G

Ginkgo

I had an INFJ friend for a while, and while our interests were almost parrallel, our approaches were adjacent and even oppositional toward one another.

For one thing, I look at life through a very subjective lense in terms of my own feelings. I also feel that my values should be congruent with one another, and that they should coincide with a single objective reality. This sometimes makes it difficult when processing information, because I'm always trying to conflate different ideas that are being tossed around in the external world until they match what is the truth. My truth. I am also extremely perfectionistic about my values, and I might internalize them for lengths of time that would be agonizing for most people, like a book that's never really finished because it can always be built upon and refined.

On the other hand, my INFJ friend seemed to look at feelings from a more global perspective, while her ideas were extremely subjective and lacking in peripherals. She did not try to conflate different ideas together, but would rather tend to different perspectives and interpretations, all of which were equally true unless they were internally inconsistent. She also seemed to be more philisophical and less idealstic than I was. Instead of trying to rearrange or change reality, she would simply learn about it from different angles and teach what she had learned to others. In fact, I think other people's interpretations were crucial to her because it was her primary mode of navigating life and making choices. She also processed information in a more linear way, synthesizing her arguments as though they were logical platforms that didn't have any baring on her own personal values.

Let me try to give an example. Let's say I say it's immoral to eat apples. To me, this means that eating apples is something I should never do because it most likely yields a negative outcome.

If she were to say it's immoral to eat apples, then she would want whoever she's talking with at the time to not eat apples. I'm guessing this because she was more attentive to other people's individual well beings, while discounting her own.

This difference sometimes made it difficult to understand her because pointing out hypocrisy is something that is almost tantamount to disproving someone's argument in my opinion.

It also seems as the though INFJ did not need "proof" for her beliefs. Almost as if static facts or empirical evidence were meaningless because they were always subject to change. Consequentially, our exchanges probably left each other feeling as though the other was incompetent or crudely misguided.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
my INFJ friend seemed to look at feelings from a more global perspective, while her ideas were extremely subjective and lacking in peripherals. She did not try to conflate different ideas together, but would rather tend to different perspectives and interpretations, all of which were equally true [unless they were] even while being internally inconsistent.

She also seemed to be more philisophical and less idealstic than I was. Instead of trying to rearrange or change reality, she would simply learn about it from different angles and teach what she had learned to others. In fact, I think other people's interpretations were crucial to her because it was her primary mode of navigating life and making choices. She also processed information in a more linear way, synthesizing her arguments as though they were logical platforms that didn't have any baring on her own personal values.

It also seems as the though INFJ did not need "proof" for her beliefs. Almost as if static facts or empirical evidence were meaningless because they were always subject to change.

A++++++++

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OK, my wife is an INFJ, and my niece (age 16 3/4) is an INFP.
I know both very well, and will offer my commentary as to your inquiries. :)

The INFP and INFJ can a number of things in common, but what are the most telling differences between the two types?

In general, INFP is more "laid back" than INFJ.

From what I can tell, INFJ is more "formal" in dress/appearance, and INFP is more "casual."

Beside these two items I have seen as obvious differences, I would have to say that stark differences are going to exist more clearly when comparing two individuals...

How are they most different socially?

INFJ seems better at engaging in socialization with strangers, INFP seems better at managing on-going (established) social relations.

How are they most different intellectually?

INFJ = Good at science, writing, math to a degree, and physical fitness.

INFP = Great at art, music, writing, social studies, history, physical fitness is ancillary...unless we are talking about Biaxident - the biggest INFP in the WORLD! :pumpyouup:

How are they most different emotionally?

Both very sweet.
Both prone to melancholia.

INFJ more prone to "shutting down" or "ghosting" (being in the same room, but not "present."), whereas INFP more prone to "letting it all hang out."

How would you contrast the way the INFJ vs. the INFP approaches information and learning?

INFJ is more focused and directed.

INFP is more free-form, but still pursues the same level of mastery, albeit in a differnet way, more sporadic.

Which type is more stand-offish?

INFJ is more stand-offish when they do not "feel comfortable" or when they have a "conflict" with the emotional energy being exuded from a given person at a given time.

My wife is an open book; if she does not like you, you will know it.

My niece is more passive; if she does not like you, she will engage with you to the minimum degree possible, and then avoid you.

Which type connects more quickly with friends?

INFP is more quick to connect with established friends.

INFJ's connections with established friends are deep but seem to connect less frequently.

Which type is more reclusive?

INFP seems to be.

INFJ seems to engage in basic socialization a bit more, especially if it is part of participating in some activity that they "identify with."

INFP's don't seem to need to "identify" with things a whole lot.

Which type shows more emotion, which one recluses when processing emotion?

INFP shows emotion more frequently.

INFJ shows more emotion when it is expressed.

---------------------

In short, I will confess that I have inadvertantly had a life long fascination with Idyllics. Both of my major SO's have been xNFJ. When I got into typology, I tested a slew of my friends, and I was shocked at how many of my really good, close friends were Idyllics. They seem to value the happy go lucky lunatic in me, and my sense to be practical and a real-time problem solver. I have always enjoyed their dry, witty humor, and their capacity to always find a way to make things better. An Idyllic with a positive attitude is a joy to be around. ESTPs can at times be blockheaded and exceedingly blunt, and there is no one better than an INFx to let them know the error of their ways, without triggering feelings of wrath or rejection. I luvs ma' INFx's! :hug:

MBTI Type
INFP
From my understanding...

INFJ is continuously intuiting the future based upon the vision they have in mind, and is often motivated to interact with others based upon said vision, causing them to occasionally resort to perfectionism and place people on a higher pedestal than they should. INFP often feels lost and is engaged on a continuous quest for self-identity, constantly introspecting on the person they are and obtaining ideas externally to filter into their minds and further help them craft their sense of self.

INFJ is often reactive when it comes to conflict, striving to discuss matters openly and find a solution to the dilemma by frequent discussion over the misunderstanding, which often appears pushy and even overwhelming to others. INFP takes everything personally and despite their laidback nature, can subconsciously interpret any misuse of word as an attack on their character, causing them to become easily offended and perhaps even defensive when interpreting a subtle comment as incongruent with their value system.

INFJ will try to talk their emotions out with the INFP and overwhelmingly try to offer objective advice they feel will improve the INFPs emotional state and future perception of the world, while the INFP will only further retreat into their shell and passive-aggressively claim they "don't want to talk about it", seeking solitude and space to sort through their feelings and come to their own conclusion of the situation.

INFJ is constantly seeking validation for their feelings, yet rarely questions their intuitive hunches, whereas INFP trusts their heart and intrapersonal values above all else, yet constantly seek new ideas externally to validate that their values are moral and a true reflection of self.

INFJ strives to help and enlighten society too much, at the expense of catering to their own needs and realizing that sometimes, they simply need to relax and let people be, while INFP realizes that everybody is an individual who is entitled to feeling their own emotions and resolving their own experiences without another's assistance, yet may be accused of being too detached and uninvolved by a reactive person who is seeking to resolve things openly.

INFJ will possibly accuse the INFP of being too withdrawn and careless during an argument, while INFP will become irritated by INFJs pushiness and inability to respect their personal space and boundaries.

INFJ will help others discover who they are and what they need while counseling them through their emotions, while INFP will discover their own sense of identity on their lonesome and become defensive if someone tries to impose a value or mode of acting/ behaving they don't agree with.

INFJ will listen to your story, intuitively analyze the details, and actively offer the advice that they believe will resolve your dilemma, while INFP will rub your shoulder while wiping away your tears, and offer their condolences while leaving you alone in the self-healing process, while silently empathizing with the way you must feel once the situations triggers the memory of a past experience that incited a similar reaction in them.

INFJs desire to know why the world is as it is and actively interacts with others through their intuitive perspective on what the world really is, slowly trying to decipher the one truth that will explain the reasoning behind society's actions, whereas INFPs wish to discover who they are and interact with their environment to gain ideas that will better allow them to reach self-actualization and establish this firm sense of self.

INFJs get lost in their daydreams and reflections, which occasionally causes them to become detached from reality and what's concrete, while INFP often dwells within deep, overwhelming emotions, which at worst, can hinder their ability to view the world objectively and react logically to situations.

INFJs are intuitive and feel as if they know all the answers explaining reality, only to discover they were wrong through extensive social interaction after being exposed to differing viewpoints, whereas INFPs often ask too many questions and seek too many explanations in search of who they are, without realizing that the answer lies in themselves.

INFJs will visit the Great Wall of China, and silently deliberate and interpret the symbolic meaning behind creating and establishing such a great world wonder to better understand the culture of the past, while INFPs will climb towards the top of it, feel a sense of liberation when feeling the wind drifting through their fingers, feeling a sense of self-growth when discovering the sense of inner strength and adventurousness they may have not been aware of, motivating them to further their journey of self-discovery when reflecting on the serenity they'd felt at that point.

INFJ solves their inner conflict by assessing things analytically via Ti to achieve the logical truth behind what it was that triggered this situation to begin with, occasionally to the extent of giving themselves a headache by overthinking, whereas INFP will retreat into a silent corner and get lost in a memory of a past experience that brought about similar emotional discomfort to them, using their newly obtained ideas obtained from the external world to compare to the way they'd reacted previously, as they search to discover a pattern in their behavior that will allow them to discover what they've been doing wrong all this time and try to rethink an inner value that may be causing them to react oversensitively toward situations.

INFJs seek to enlighten humanity through their intuitive reasoning, while INFPs seek to enlighten themselves through self-reflection and discovery.

Debaser

MBTI Type
xNTJ
If you are sure about the INF and the following statements generally apply to you:

The following statements generally apply to me:

- I like to have things decided.
- I appear to be task oriented.
- I like to make lists of things to do.
- I like to get my work done before playing.
- I plan work to avoid rushing just before a deadline.
- Sometimes I focus so much on the goal that I miss new information.

You are an INFJ.

If you are certain about the INF and the following statements generally apply to you:

- I like to stay open to respond to whatever happens.
- I appear to be loose and casual. I like to keep plans to a minimum.
- I like to approach work as play or mix work and play.
- I work in bursts of energy.
- I am stimulated by an approaching deadline.
- Sometimes I stay open to new information so long I miss making decisions when they are needed.

You are an INFP.

The key is to pick the one that fits BEST and is more NATURAL, not to nitpick about certain scenarios in which you do one or the other. Then it really is that simple.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I know I'm INFJ, yet only some of the above INFJ list in the last post applies to me. I do like having things decided, but I dislike the decision-making process. The liking to have things decided is partly because I dislike surprises. I like knowing what to expect so that I can respond appropriately. I am a list maker (although I often don't get the things on the list done - but it does nail them down so I don't feel I am losing thoughts as they occur or missing taking something into account). I'm always rushing to meet deadlines and often only get going when the pressure is on. I appear quite messy, even if I have my own organizational system. The more emotionally involved I am in a project, the harder I find it to ever quit taking in new information and reorganizing. Therefore, most of my nearest and dearest goals remain unaddressed. I often play before working, usually in an attempt to put off facing things that I am unsure of how to address (decision-making or how to go at a task that I am unsure of).

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know I'm INFJ, yet only some of the above INFJ list in the last post applies to me. I do like having things decided, but I dislike the decision-making process. The liking to have things decided is partly because I dislike surprises. I like knowing what to expect so that I can respond appropriately. I am a list maker (although I often don't get the things on the list done - but it does nail them down so I don't feel I am losing thoughts as they occur or missing taking something into account). I'm always rushing to meet deadlines and often only get going when the pressure is on. I appear quite messy, even if I have my own organizational system. The more emotionally involved I am in a project, the harder I find it to ever quit taking in new information and reorganizing. Therefore, most of my nearest and dearest goals remain unaddressed. I often play before working, usually in an attempt to put off facing things that I am unsure of how to address (decision-making or how to go at a task that I am unsure of).
This is true of me as well; it's good to know. I had been thinking my J preference was not strong, and it might not be, but maybe these things being true doesn't have to mean that.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is true of me as well; it's good to know. I had been thinking my J preference was not strong, and it might not be, but maybe these things being true doesn't have to mean that.