Thread: INFP vs. INFJ

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    I think the difference between Fe (INFJ) and Fi (INFP) is vast.

Fe seems to look down from above, from a larger picture. It looks at the whole situation, and what you feel is part of the whole bigger picture of how everybody (both those who are involved in the situation and all others -- society, other societies, the world) feels.

Fi seems to look out. You're in you, and you look out at the world. Your feelings are separated from the rest of the world. It's like you're looking through glass...

I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how I feel. It's the difference in direction and viewpoint.
    Game. Set. Match.
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ

Well for one thing they use different cognitive functions.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w4

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    I used to be INFP because my J was underdeveloped. Or rather I was INFJ but I didn't know it. Sometimes I still wonder if I'm correct.

INFPs are much more optimistic.

How are they most different socially, intellectually, and emotionally?

Intellectually, INFJs are more philosophical and more realistic about their ideals. Focused on justice. Like the idea of a 'poetic justice' than forgiveness. Punishing those who did wrong, by a higher power/karma sort of thing.

Socially, INFPs are more mellow, laid-back socially.

Emotionally, INFJs are more aggressive, not in a bad way, just more certain.

That's from what I know between me and my INFP friend. I could be wrong.
    I agree with you based on what I know between me and my INFJ friend.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    INFp

The INFJs counsel, the INFPs heal... (according to some profiles)

But what exactly does this mean? What does this look like in the real world, to someone observing from afar?
    4w3 sx/sp? INFP, INFp

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Spaghetti View Post
    The INFJs counsel, the INFPs heal... (according to some profiles)

But what exactly does this mean? What does this look like in the real world, to someone observing from afar?
    I think I can answer this. My late father was an INFP, I have a few INFP friends and I'm INFJ. In my experience, the INFPs care so much about peace and harmony that they'll often just listen to you when you are sharing your hardships and comfort you with abstract kindness, won't say much, but you'll feel better somehow. They'll "heal" you in this absolutely abstract way.

INFJs can do this as well, but they'll often give advice (counseling) as well and speak more, with a frank tone, so you'll know what to do concretely about your problem, not just cry over it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Healing means we rip their makeshift bandage off, poke around the metaphorical wound a bit to see what's going on, apply some salve that stings like crazy, and then put a flexible, comfortable bandage on so they can walk again. It's NOT always a nicey-nice process. Although I think we simply listen and empathize a lot as a part of that process. The thing is, we demand you to open up, and that process in itself can be simultaneously painful and relieving to people. I often will give people advice (if they seem to be asking for it), but it's more of a suggesting than a directing.

Counseling seems to be an advising on what is the wise course. It seems to start on the outside (whereas, healing starts on the inside), working it's way in, which makes sense, as Fe is more about external harmony. INFJs seem to dig less into how someone feels than to advise on what they should be doing/feeling to create balance in their life.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    Heh, don't know what that is based on but in my experience it is very accurate. My best friend is an INFP. She is a much better driver than me, but I believe I am a better housekeeper. I don't think this has anything to do with ability, it's just messy kitchens do bother me, but they don't seem to bother her. *shrugs* Driving can make me nervous, although I'm much more comfortable with it than I was, still if we go someplace together she is generally the one that drives.
    It’s interesting you say that…I agree about the housekeeping part, but I’ve always felt that both types are (for the most part) pretty good drivers, or at least courteous & less inclined to drive aggressively...I can't really say about how alert they are though.

But I digress. As for differences between the two types that I’ve found in experience:

-INFPs are more humorful & lighthearted, INFJs tend to take things more seriously (although many do have a sense of humor, even if it’s specialized)

-INFPs are sensitive, laid-back & free spirited, and they dislike being told what to do. Well, dislike is too strong a word – most are happy to be of service to people they like and can be loyal followers, but they resent it when people act domineering & dictorial. INFJs generally are better able to give & take orders easily than INFPs, although they too will rebuke people that seem to be trying to intimidate them and push them around.

-INFJs need to have direction & order in their lives, untidiness & unpredictability overwhelm them. INFPs...not so much.

-INFPs tend to take longer to provoke than INFJs, but also longer to get over things.

-Both types are individualists. They will find their own way in this world, live life according to their ideals & beliefs, and side with whichever teams they want to. But I think awy nailed the difference:

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    Intellectually, INFJs are more philosophical and more realistic about their ideals. Focused on justice. Like the idea of a 'poetic justice' than forgiveness. Punishing those who did wrong, by a higher power/karma sort of thing.
    Both types often have the same kinds of opinions about things, but INFPs tend to treat them more as “personal codes” that they’ve spontaneously developed. With INFJs it’s all about how the ideal or belief comes into the greater picture of the world at large – INFJs are kind of like priests, they need to feel they’re making the world a better place.

Those are just the main differences that I’ve noticed though. IMO both types are pretty similar when it comes down to it.
    INFP | 4w5 | Phlegmatic-Melancholic

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Could you expand on that. I'm not certain of the distinction between the two, but it could well be fundamentally important.
    Hmm...well the example that comes to mind: The ethical man knows its wrong to cheat on his wife. The moral man wouldn't.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

I'm gonna have to disagree with this assessment. I am INFP and one of the most passionate, spunky people I know. INFJs care about and need people more than INFPs do. they also tend to be much more merciful than we are. we are 99% of the time merciful too, but we have limits of what is forgivable, if it comes down to it and your true colors are evil, we will kill you if we need to (and sometimes if we don't need to). for instance, let's say one came across a pedophile being caught in the act, many INFPs (self included) would straight up kill his ass right there. if anything, I think the idea of poetic justice applies more to us (although it certainly might for you as well, I would have to be an INFJ to know for sure). INFJs seem more like they would want to see him severely punished, but rehabilitated. FJs in general really just want the world to be this one big happy family where everyone loves and helps each other (but that's not to say that INFJs are well aware of the treachery man is capable of, they perhaps know this better than we INFPs do) I mean don't get me wrong, 90% of the time, we are docile, gentle and laid back (even somewhat silly) as you said, but when out values are violated, we can turn into a completely different person. this is personified in many stories where the hero will actually transform into a more powerful, ruthless form when greatly angered or is protecting someone.
    PS: one of the things I really like about you guys (INFJs) is that INFJs pretty much seem to care about everyone immediately. as an INFP, I genuinely don't care about anyone until I form a sort of bond with them. if most of the people I knew died, I would be almost completely apathetic. I mean, I would show respect and comfort those who took it hard, but I wouldn't feel much if any emotion myself. however, if it was someone I was really close to, this would be a different story. still, I feel like I should care more about people than I do, but the emotions often are just not there.

ReflecTcelfeR

Fi (personal values one holds) is at your forefront. I think the above is a great example of that.