User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: INFP vs. INFJ

heart on fire

Avatar was Victoria Winters played by Alexandra Moltke.

If I have a big decision to make, I introvert on it or spend a lot of time listening to music and reading light materials and allow decision to float to surface or do a Te checklist of pros and cons.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I have always had trouble working out decisions. When I go to a restaurant, I like to order last in case something else sounds better. Where should we go? Any place is fine. I don't tend to be terribly particular about what is going on externally. This is in part because I can create a lot of the experience from inside myself.

When there is a pressing situation, I can go with the option that appears to have a 60% advantage over other options even if i am still rather uncertain about it. I like to have a sense that I am doing my best based on circumstance and information available. I will switch course if there is a compelling reason that is worth the switch after one decision is put in place. Because of this I constantly look for strategies that are fluid and allow for alterations in long-term planning.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    When I go to a restaurant, I like to order last in case something else sounds better.
    I am resurrecting this thread simply to say that I do this too! I will make the entire table order before me because I'm juggling a few options in my head, and I'm hoping something will just JUMP out at me when it's my turn. I often need that type of pressure to make a decision.

Continuing the topic per the OP, does anyone have some examples of the differences between how Ni/Fe and Fi/Ne play out in the respective types?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4/2
    Socionics
    INFx

I am so in the middle of so many personality types it is hard to distinguish. As a child I was more of an INFP but as I experienced more life and pursued more things and felt more confident in who I was, more able to relate my inner world to my outer world, or rather the outer in terms with my inner. I became more assertive and more forthright. I expected far less, although I from doing so, I created a void for desiring that much more.

Grace.
    His form has passed away, he has become a mirror: naught is there but the image of another's face.

( I ) 3%, ( N ) 59%, ( F ) 26%, ( J ) 16%

MBTI
    IXFX
    Enneagram
    tert
    Socionics
    iary

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I find this quite annoying sometimes. If I think something bad about someone and he walks by, I can't really look at him because I know I'm too easy to read. But I have to look at him because it would be even more awkward not to look at him. And then he is being disapproved and I'll try to avoid walking around that neighborhood for a while so that when after a few months I bumb into him in a store or something I can be like "hey, what's up, its been a long time!"

Amen.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

tough question. INFPs can be surprisingly J-ish at times, many of them are perfectionist (in a more subjective, chaotic, and disorganized sort of way) and if you get in the way of a moral cause, they will kill you (although unlike an ENTJ, they will feel bad afterword =)
    likewise, INFJs can be surprisingly P-ish at times. they tend to be more open minded than most Js and have more perceiver interests (music, art, humanities) and can be extremely creative.
    they have a lot of similarities: introspection,intense idealism, creativity, open mindedness, supreme intelligence, good at counseling people, great as friends (IFs in general are in my opinion the best types for friends)

the difference is mostly found in Fe/Fi. INFJs have Fe which is more people oriented. FJs help people because they feel like they have to. FPs help people because they want to and feel like it. while FPs thrive on helping others, they are by no means selfless. an INFJ will sometimes completely neglect their own needs and tear themselves apart via service. Fi makes sure this does not happen to INFPs who know that there self takes #1 priority (they are incredibly in touch with their feelings). INFPs help themselves first and help others once they have grown enough to do so (they want everyone to win but are willing so sacrifice much less than their J cousins)

at their best their differences come out more. INFPs will be happy and bubbly, full of imagination and internal energy (which they are much more willing to share than many introverts. an INFP once comfortable makes for an extremely affectionate friend of great conversation). although they are introverted, the NP (Ne) in them loves to talk. while INFJs are also creative, NFPs are by far the most creative 2 types out there (in fact, it's almost as much a curse as a gift. I enjoy this frequently, but as an entrepreneur, it often gets in the way of effectiveness, despite having lent me many profitable ideas).

INFJs on the other hand are probably the most intelligent of the types (well, maybe save INTJ), when they really trust their Ni, they are almost psychic. even so, they tend to be way to serious for my tastes and even at their best they play the broken hero who feels they need to sacrifice everything.

just a few examples of each
    INFP: most authors, Johnny Depp, Fai from Tsubasa Chronicle, Star Girl (from the book of this title), the Little Prince, Bastian from the Never Ending Story
    INFJ: Kenshin from rurouni kenshin, Aragorn from Lord of the Rings, Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi, Yugi from Yugioh, in ancient times: most shamans, oracles, and seers,
    a few I'm on the fence about: Joan of Arc, Mithos from Tales of Symphonia, Amelie

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Antreus View Post
    I am so in the middle of so many personality types it is hard to distinguish. As a child I was more of an INFP but as I experienced more life and pursued more things and felt more confident in who I was, more able to relate my inner world to my outer world, or rather the outer in terms with my inner. I became more assertive and more forthright. I expected far less, although I from doing so, I created a void for desiring that much more.

Grace.
    So what your saying is that an INFP is just like an INFJ except they've experienced less life, pursued less things, feel less confident in who they are, are less able to relate their inner world to their outer world (or rather the outer in terms of their inner), are less assertive, less forthright, expect far more etc?

Sounds about right.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    So what your saying is that an INFP is just like an INFJ except they've experienced less life, pursued less things, feel less confident in who they are, are less able to relate their inner world to their outer world (or rather the outer in terms of their inner), are less assertive, less forthright, expect far more etc?

Sounds about right.
    An INFJ basically acts like the above until their Ni has enough data to work with. I was the same, but more like an INTP (still am, but I'm still squishier than any T and rougher than many other F men).

I think the analogy of 'cleanliness is the view of my inner world' is a good way of describing how INFJs seem disorganized. Really, it's our minds that we really want to keep organized. We feel awful if it feels like our mind if filled with loose ends. Its a constant battle of fighting the frayed parts of our mind so our homes may suffer for it. The more introverted we are, too, the more frayed edges there can be (or maybe its the number of frays that make an INFJ more introverted?).

I tend to lash out at people if I'm acting on my crappy Se that likes to take control sometimes. Especially if I'm feeling edgy or nervous or too much caffeine. I hate feeling too introverted, though, because I enjoy being social. This sociality is mostly just being dumb and saying things I find witty (and not overly mean). I find making people laugh really keeps things casual and fun, and I guess I have a little bit of a talent for it.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

What We Mean When We Speak of the 'inFp', etc - A Critique of the J/P Designation in the MBTI

iNf = I and N-F-T-S = Ni-Fe-Ti-Se = INFJ
    or
    inF = I and F-N-S-T = Fi-Ne-Si-Te = INFP

I like this

Perhaps the fourth letter could be used to tell us whether or not the individual likes dogs (D) or cats (C), or is left handed (L) or right handed (R). Or perhaps it could be used to indicate whether the person has a tendency toward closure or not. To indicate a tendency toward closure, we could use the letter 'j' as the fourth letter, and to indicate a tendency toward non-closure, lets use 'p' as the fourth letter. And lets further specify that the 'J' and 'P' scales on the MBTI are to be used to test for 'j' and 'p'.

If a particular inF, then, turns out to have a tendency toward non-closure, by testing as a 'P' on the MBTI, we would signify this accordingly - by saying he is an 'inFp'.

'But how does this differ from the MBTI?', you might ask, perhaps a little bit frustrated at this point with all the detail that seems to be getting us nowhere. 'Aren't you still just saying the same thing as the MBTI?'

No. Not exactly. Granted, in the case of the inFp there is no difference - call the person an inFp or an INFP and it doesn't really matter - both amount to the same thing: an introvert (I) with F-N-S-T preference order and a proclivity toward 'p' (non-closure). But now consider this: to the first three letters in our new nomenclature, 'inF', you could also theoretically add a 'j' as the fourth letter - a possibility that isn't allowed in the MBTI!

This possibility isn't allowed in the MBTI because, according to the ASSUMPTIONS underlying the MBTI, since the orientation is 'I' and the preference order is F-N-S-T, one MUST add a 'p' to the first three letters, inF. If we want to act according to this assumption - that all Introverts with F-N-S-T preference order have 'p' traits (preference for non-closure, etc) - we'd have to say that every inF is an inFp.

But is this assumption TRUE? That is the $64,000 question!!!

If it indeed IS true, than the 'inF' must necessarily be equivalent to the inFp; and the 'p' in our new nomenclature would simply be redundant. Insofar as it is redundant, it would be best to simply drop it from the name and revert to the three letter characterization that we speak of in Section One above - inF.

But if it is not true that everyone who has an I orientation and a 'F-N-S-T' preference order is 'p', then some of those who are inF would in actuality turn out to also be 'j' !!! This would result in a new label, the inFj - standing for the person who is an introvert, with F-N-S-T preference order, but a 'j' disposition (prefering closure, etc). It would also result in 15 other previously unrecognized new type-labels. The new four-letter nomenclature would thus not be redundant at all, nor trivial. For it would open up 16 new possibilities that are by DEFINITION outlawed by the assumptions according to which the MBTI works.

So the fact that nobody has ever scored inFj on an MBTI test really tells us nothing about whether inFjs in fact exist. It just tells us that the MBTI, as a test, is based on a theoretical assumption that prevents it from even conceiving of the inFj, let along identifying one.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think the difference between Fe (INFJ) and Fi (INFP) is vast.

Fe seems to look down from above, from a larger picture. It looks at the whole situation, and what you feel is part of the whole bigger picture of how everybody (both those who are involved in the situation and all others -- society, other societies, the world) feels.

Fi seems to look out. You're in you, and you look out at the world. Your feelings are separated from the rest of the world. It's like you're looking through glass...

I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's how I feel. It's the difference in direction and viewpoint.