User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: INFP vs. INFJ

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I have a great deal of certitude about not wanting any certitude, if that makes any sense. I just feel all certainty should be provisional. The world is just too subjective a place for me to impose my value judgments on anyone or for anyone else to be imposing their value judgments on me.
    Makes complete sense to me!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

As an INTP myself, I'm really confused with the INFJ/INFP dichotomy.

The INFJ follows a strong conformity to social protocol / social harmony (Fe-which is a very non egotistic function), and yet these people have a decisive J function.

On the other hand, the INFP has a strong inner values (Fi -- a self centered cognitive process), but the judgment is diminished, because of a strong P function.

In an INTJ, the Fe can act as the empathic function. In an INFP, the P/Ne axis does the same thing.

Chances are, if I talk to any of the two, both of them will listen to me. Being intuitives themselves, they know where my viewpoint will be coming. But seriously, it won't be easy for me to recognize one from the other.

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    As an INTP myself, I'm really confused with the INFJ/INFP dichotomy.

The INFJ follows a strong conformity to social protocol / social harmony (Fe-which is a very non egotistic function), and yet these people have a decisive J function.

On the other hand, the INFP has a strong inner values (Fi -- a self centered cognitive process), but the judgment is diminished, because of a strong P function.
    There's a saying that sprang into my mind upon reading this -- "Don't judge a book by its cover." Now, I'm not saying that you're doing it... but you should note that it's exactly what MBTI advocates when it comes to the P and the J -- to judge books by their covers. Because the J and the P as dictated by the eight introverted MBTI types is based on what the introverted type in question externalizes, by necessity the secondary function, not the primary: it is only the cover that one sees.

And yet... that alone does not mean that the contents are "diminished", as in the case of INFP's J or INFJ's P. It's the opposite -- if we continue to run with the book analogy... what would you say is of more importance -- the cover of a book, or a contents of the book? So, in my humble opinion -- the letters P and J are not very useful -- and they should not lead you towards such assumptions.

Why does MBTI do it? For the sake of symmetry and consistency at the expense of clarity and precision: Extraverted types have less issues with the P and J distinctions, being that their P and J functions are their primary, externalized, extraverted functions. Not so with introverts, because introverts' primary function is introverted, and can not be displayed within the four letter type code. So it becomes the case that introverted types' P and J codes become covers, displaying their secondary functions... so it is, in reality, the J (Fe) of an INFJ and the P (Ne) of an INFP that are diminished.
    Not really.

MBTI
    INFJ

I wouldn't even know where to start describing an INFP; I'm just going to state my observations of them. I currently am working on a HUGE project (Fall Staff Training) with two INFPs. They both have tested as INFP through the actual MBTI. The one major difference I see between them and me is that when I leave a meeting where we brainstormed and agreed on a lot of ideas, I actually intend on following through with them. They prefer to not decide on anything and to "keep thinking about it", which they don't do. They just don't want to make a decision. I have to coerce them into making decisions on a frequent basis. I might seem strange for me to just come up and say this, but I think that both of them hate making decisions because they think a better idea will come to them on a later date. I feel like I am in the game trying to get stuff done and they are on the sidelines looking very unsure about EVERYTHING. Sometimes when I ask them to make a decision, they break eye contact with me and look around and pretend like they didn't hear me or that they are thinking when I know they have already made their decision: "I don't know".

Don't get me wrong, we have worked together as RAs in our Residence Hall for a year and all three of us are very good friends. I'm just learning first hand that we don't work well together on long-term projects, lol. I should stop a moment and mention that they have provided a good deal of creative ideas towards staff training as a whole, but that's it: ideas, not work.

If you didn't detect it, this post was a combination of an answer and some venting on one aspect of the INFP from an INFJ perspective.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    The one major difference I see between them and me is that when I leave a meeting where we brainstormed and agreed on a lot of ideas, I actually intend on following through with them. They prefer to not decide on anything and to "keep thinking about it", which they don't do. They just don't want to make a decision.
    True.

It takes an effort for me to make decisions. The only way for me to get any work done is to

1) Define the place for work for myself clearly. I can't get work done at home. Even if a workplace is too relaxed, I cant work.

2) Set a deadline. Quite simple, if I don't have it, nothing ever gets finished.

I think you should be the leader. The INFPs probably wont, and they need that someone sets the concrete objectives and deadlines for them, but only after you have all discussed the best ways to do it. Don't worry about upsetting them. I would gladly let someone else to make decisions for me.

heart on fire

INFJ in my experience drag their feet on decision, until it is forced by external forces and it is a freaking crisis and then they make a decision that they cling to with all the tenacity as if their whole life depended on not changing plans. Like their whole sense of self will be threatened if they change part of the plans and fret like mad if forced to change plans.

I usually delay a decision until Te can engage, answers and decisions seem to come from nowhere at times, like coming from subconscious and then I alter the plans as needed as time goes on.

To get work done, I usually give it up and then from nowhere the will comes and I find myself doing what needs to be done. Failing this, I have to Te checklist things. If other people try to force me to do things on their time table, very exhausting. I loathe having decisions forced on me or made for me by people. I don't want to lead and I don't want to be led, I want to be left alone to do my own thing.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    INFJ in my experience drag their feet on decision, until it is forced by external forces and it is a freaking crisis and then they make a decision that they cling to with all the tenacity as if their whole life depended on not changing plans.

I usually delay a decision until Te can engage, answers and decisions seem to come from nowhere at times, like subconscious and then I alter the plans as time goes on.
    My INTP husband used to do a similar thing to what you are describing with decisions. It was excruciating, like watching a train wreck in slo-mo with no way to stop it.

I always try to collect what data I can and make a decision before circumstances dictate my decision for me. It's not like I can't tweak it later and often times any decision is better than no decision. I'm also a big fan of improvisation and plan B, C, D, etc. If something can go wrong, it will, but that doesn't mean you can't land on your feet.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    INFPs are better drivers, INFJs better housekeepers.
    Heh, don't know what that is based on but in my experience it is very accurate. My best friend is an INFP. She is a much better driver than me, but I believe I am a better housekeeper. I don't think this has anything to do with ability, it's just messy kitchens do bother me, but they don't seem to bother her. *shrugs* Driving can make me nervous, although I'm much more comfortable with it than I was, still if we go someplace together she is generally the one that drives.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    ...I believe I am a better housekeeper. I don't think this has anything to do with ability, it's just messy kitchens do bother me, but they don't seem to bother her. *shrugs* ...
    I don't mind clutter at all, but I hate filth or cross contamination in kitchens, mostly because I don't want to be sick (or make others sick) and the rationality of trying to prevent food poisioning makes good sense to me. I can see the reason for being careful. If I can see a reason for something, then I can self motivate to do it.

I have a lot of clutter around my house and paperwork messiness issues, but the kitchen and bathroom need to be basically sanitary.

I knew a J type (not a INFJ) who kept a sparkling clean kitchen, wiped everything down with the same spounge, raw meat juice, dishes, table, etc. never sterlizing it. Drove me nuts.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post

I knew a J type (not a INFJ) who kept a sparkling clean kitchen, wiped everything down with the same spounge, raw meat juice, dishes, table, etc. never sterlizing it. Drove me nuts.
    Eww.

Cleanliness and sanitation are I guess more important to me than neatness, but neatness is high on the priority list too. One thing I've noticed about myself, is I like my outer world to reflect my inner world. So my room is messy or neat in proportion to the chaos or clarity of my thoughtscape. When I make a big decision, one of my first instincts in consequence is to start straightening my house. While I'm in the process of decision making, I can tolerate more clutter.

Dunno if this is normal for an INFJ or just neuroticness on my part, but it's something my INFP friend says she can't relate to at all.

P.S. Is that Emma Peel in your avatar?