• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Ni not psychic? O rly?

Bardsandwarriors

Xena's boyfriend
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A girl did that to me once. I was about 23, and little did I realise that she fancied me. One fine day I went in to her workplace with my friend for a chat. She drew me in with perfectly normal conversation, then grabbed me and suckered me on the lips like a lamprey. I was reeling over that for days. In those days I had almost no grasp of physical reality. I lived entirely in a world in my head; admittedly one which approximated the outside world, but physical contact with actual objects or people was always a shock.

Standuble

A girl did that to me once. I was about 23, and little did I realise that she fancied me. One fine day I went in to her workplace with my friend for a chat. She drew me in with perfectly normal conversation, then grabbed me and suckered me on the lips like a lamprey. I was reeling over that for days. In those days I had almost no grasp of physical reality. I lived entirely in a world in my head; admittedly one which approximated the outside world, but physical contact with actual objects or people was always a shock.

Lucky guy :)

G

Glycerine

I can be good at telling when something is amiss but when I start analyzing something a lot, I can be way off base. Saying that, I think that's quite different from being psychic. In my opinion, individuals and the environment give us a lot of clues and the mind has a varying ability (depending on the person) to pick up on them and piece it together.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Psychic = not realizing whats going inside of your head, but whats inside of your head is still guiding your thought and when it goes right, you might associate something supernatural to it, due to evolutionary reasons i cba to explain. So yes, Ni users and NFs might often feel like they are psychics.

Bardsandwarriors

Xena's boyfriend
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Psychic = not realizing whats going inside of your head

Agreed. But it's in the nature of an extraverted N to go around exploring new things all the time, so there is a constant throughput of stuff being unexplained and seeming mysterious, which later gets explained and becomes non-mysterious. So I always feel somewhat mysterious, and it always seems as if information is coming to me from strange sources.

To add to this effect, because I've explained (to myself) so many seemingly mysterious things, and I can explain them to other people, some people see me as downright dark and mysterious, without me lifting a finger.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Agreed. But it's in the nature of an extraverted N to go around exploring new things all the time, so there is a constant throughput of stuff being unexplained and seeming mysterious, which later gets explained and becomes non-mysterious. So I always feel somewhat mysterious, and it always seems as if information is coming to me from strange sources.

To add to this effect, because I've explained (to myself) so many seemingly mysterious things, and I can explain them to other people, some people see me as downright dark and mysterious, without me lifting a finger.

i think its the intuition in general that might at times be unexplained and seemingly mysterious. Ni tends to go much deeper and its harder to notice where something came from than with Ne, because Ne gets triggered by the external world(or inner images of external world), so its easier to deduce what triggered it, while with Ni there might not be any external triggers.

the reason why i said Ni and NFs in general, is because with INTJ for example, the intuitions might often be beyond of what their aux Te can handle. but with NTPs for example, those external intuitions gets more easier abstracted to something that makes sense in logical manner, more so with INTPs than ENTPs, but i dont see ENTPs being as irrational than INTJs often are with their intuitions. NFs on the other hand often are not that prone to force T judgment all over and only accept things that can be judged with T, so i think they are more prone to this psychic what ever thing.

sulfit

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ni is prophetic. In 2002 Ron Paul (INTJ) predicted what US government will do for the next decade in this video.

Bardsandwarriors

Xena's boyfriend
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i think its the intuition in general that might at times be unexplained and seemingly mysterious. Ni tends to go much deeper and its harder to notice where something came from than with Ne, because Ne gets triggered by the external world(or inner images of external world), so its easier to deduce what triggered it, while with Ni there might not be any external triggers.

Perhaps I don't understand the functions well enough yet. But I find that my Ne is a very external process: I am watching something intently or hearing something, and I am seeing all of the causes and consequences of it, like rally driver would see the road snaking in front of him. Is that Ne?

But then I may slip into a reverie, trying to make sense of parts of it. Or sometimes I will be lost in thought while I am doing something completely unrelated. My senses switch off and I see events in my head, as a daydream, and I am trying to figure out (sometimes desperately) why something happened, or why someone did something. My mind rolls some event around, until I see why it unfolded as it did. Is that Ni?

Or I will be lost at a deeper level, following a flow of ideas, feelings and colours which follow very naturally in sequence, leading me to some realisation. But if I try to remember this process, it seems out of reach. When occasionally I can retrace it, it takes a lot of conscious work to find out why each idea led inexorably to the next ideas; and it amazes me that it seemed so obvious, when at a conscious level it isn't at all obvious.

As you say, the triggers of those internal processes aren't very clear. But with me, it seems to go from some externalised process, if it needs further thought to understand, to an internal reverie. It may pop up again and again, even in my dreams. Eventually, (with hindsight) it becomes clear.

the reason why i said Ni and NFs in general, is because with INTJ for example, the intuitions might often be beyond of what their aux Te can handle. but with NTPs for example, those external intuitions gets more easier abstracted to something that makes sense in logical manner, more so with INTPs than ENTPs, but i dont see ENTPs being as irrational than INTJs often are with their intuitions. NFs on the other hand often are not that prone to force T judgment all over and only accept things that can be judged with T, so i think they are more prone to this psychic what ever thing.

Much of this is beyond me right now. I am trying to work through it piece by piece. For instance, what do you mean by NFs only accepting things that can be judged with T? Isn't F the dominant judging function?

G

garbage

Confirmation bias, man. You just have to think really, really hard that you're right about everything, all the time. Reframe the world such that it matches your perception. Just beat that sentiment into your skull, and you can convince yourself that you're a psychic.

--

On a more helpful note, read Proposed definition #4 on Lenore's thing.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Confirmation bias, man. You just have to think really, really hard that you're right about everything, all the time. Reframe the world such that it matches your perception. Just beat that sentiment into your skull, and you can convince yourself that you're a psychic.

--

On a more helpful note, read Proposed definition #4 on Lenore's thing.
When I was in high school, I did a yearly competition that was kind of like a geography bee combined with a current events/global affairs quiz show, where all the questions were multiple choice and we were put into four-person teams. One of the guys on my team -- a friend of mine, ENTJ 9w8/8w9 -- got a reputation for stuff like Lenore's thing, only in the middle of competitions, when we'd all be serious. We'd be looking at this question, with absolutely no idea how to answer it, and he'd say in this slow, serene deadpan: "I'm getting a feel for option D." :laugh:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Perhaps I don't understand the functions well enough yet. But I find that my Ne is a very external process: I am watching something intently or hearing something, and I am seeing all of the causes and consequences of it, like rally driver would see the road snaking in front of him. Is that Ne?

But then I may slip into a reverie, trying to make sense of parts of it. Or sometimes I will be lost in thought while I am doing something completely unrelated. My senses switch off and I see events in my head, as a daydream, and I am trying to figure out (sometimes desperately) why something happened, or why someone did something. My mind rolls some event around, until I see why it unfolded as it did. Is that Ni?

Or I will be lost at a deeper level, following a flow of ideas, feelings and colours which follow very naturally in sequence, leading me to some realisation. But if I try to remember this process, it seems out of reach. When occasionally I can retrace it, it takes a lot of conscious work to find out why each idea led inexorably to the next ideas; and it amazes me that it seemed so obvious, when at a conscious level it isn't at all obvious.

As you say, the triggers of those internal processes aren't very clear. But with me, it seems to go from some externalised process, if it needs further thought to understand, to an internal reverie. It may pop up again and again, even in my dreams. Eventually, (with hindsight) it becomes clear.

first of all, i dont think that this 8 function model, in which you have both Ni and Ne is true. this isnt MBTI, nor is it jungs typology, but its just few new models based on some theories about typology that say this. and i think the definitions for what it means to function be extraverted or introverted are not in line to what jung sad. having studied both models, i think jungs model makes the most sense and the 8 function model is missing some key elements of typology and sort of fills the blanks by claiming that all four functions(S N T F) are both introverted and extraverted in all individuals, but thats just because they are missing some key aspects of function interactions and define functions differently from jung.

Well, you could think that all processes happen in your brain, not really outside. but when it comes to extraverted functions, the internal processes are sort of projected onto the image coming from the external world. With Ne, its the possibilities of where something came form and where it is coming from.

i suggest reading this topics i made about N: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...s/55363-intuition-explained-short-simple.html

also i think that Ne and Si are are sort of the two sides of the same coin: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-tm-other-personality-matrices/53137-ne-si.html

i should clarify that what makes Si and Se different, is that with Se the determining factor in your psyche(what motivates you) is the intensity of the object perceived from the external world. with Si, its the subjective experience which gets triggered by the external world that is the determining factor. jung said that Se gets determined by sensuous experience and Si by aesthetic. this doesent mean that all types wouldnt have sensuous and aesthetic experiences, but when S is introverted, the aesthetic experience is stronger and has more value to the person(thus he orients himself according to it) than the purely sensuous experience and intensity of it. for example Se user might be more drawn into things(clothes for example) that look glittery or has a lot of details or are are pleasant to the eye some other way. while Si user would be more focused on the subjective experiences this glitter and those details bring out in him, not that he doesent see the details or the glitter, he just isnt motivated by them alone, but is motivated by the subjective experiences they bring out in him. but naturally this is bit more complex in real life, because we use other functions to judge those clothes and not just accept them as good based on perceptions. you could say that the lower in function alignment S is, more of it is judged.

when it comes to Ne, the possibilities triggered by the external world is based on this subjective experience of Si(which ofc has its origin in the external world). and the higher Ne is(which makes Si lower) in function order, less of the subjective experience of Si comes to consciousness.

and about the internal triggers. its about those things that are for example conclusions made about the external world or feelings caused by something external, but which doesent follow the objective data coming from your eyes(or data that has once been thought to you by yout teacher for example). but it doesent have to be conclusions or what ever based on external world, it can be conclusions about conclusions about conclusions about feeling about conclusions based on external world. i think that everything originally came from the external world, except what came from the collective unconscious(but explaining that would be bit too much for now and it just merely influences the conclusions of what came from external world anyways). for example einsteins(INTP) relativity theory is a good example of fine usage of Ne and Ti, it wasnt something that were observed and then said to be true, it was something that were conclusions made from possibilities triggered by the external world. you know sort of if this that and this are true, then there is no other way than E=mc2 or what ever. and his theory of relativity wasnt even proven until many years later, yet it turned out to be true. newton(INTJ) on the other hand shows more of Te and Se in his work on gravity, it was something that he directly observed and influenced on what he learned about alchemy. naturally he used Ni also, but thats just for removing irrelevant ideas coming from external world and to sort of weed out the grand idea, which had its ingredients from Se and Te.

Much of this is beyond me right now. I am trying to work through it piece by piece. For instance, what do you mean by NFs only accepting things that can be judged with T? Isn't F the dominant judging function?

what i meant was that NFs arent as prone to force T judgment all over like T types are and that T types need T judgment more often to be there for things to be accepted and NFs dont need it that often, thus NFs are more prone on accepting ideas that are "psychic" or what ever you want to call it.