First 1234 Last

Xena's boyfriend Bardsandwarriors's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFp Fi

A girl did that to me once. I was about 23, and little did I realise that she fancied me. One fine day I went in to her workplace with my friend for a chat. She drew me in with perfectly normal conversation, then grabbed me and suckered me on the lips like a lamprey. I was reeling over that for days. In those days I had almost no grasp of physical reality. I lived entirely in a world in my head; admittedly one which approximated the outside world, but physical contact with actual objects or people was always a shock.
    Neutral good Fi-ENFp 4w3 sp/so 479 gentle spirit, 50yo male. Travels the land seeking a good sig line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardsandwarriors View Post
    A girl did that to me once. I was about 23, and little did I realise that she fancied me. One fine day I went in to her workplace with my friend for a chat. She drew me in with perfectly normal conversation, then grabbed me and suckered me on the lips like a lamprey. I was reeling over that for days. In those days I had almost no grasp of physical reality. I lived entirely in a world in my head; admittedly one which approximated the outside world, but physical contact with actual objects or people was always a shock.
    Lucky guy

Glycerine

I can be good at telling when something is amiss but when I start analyzing something a lot, I can be way off base. Saying that, I think that's quite different from being psychic. In my opinion, individuals and the environment give us a lot of clues and the mind has a varying ability (depending on the person) to pick up on them and piece it together.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Psychic = not realizing whats going inside of your head, but whats inside of your head is still guiding your thought and when it goes right, you might associate something supernatural to it, due to evolutionary reasons i cba to explain. So yes, Ni users and NFs might often feel like they are psychics.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFp Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Psychic = not realizing whats going inside of your head
    Agreed. But it's in the nature of an extraverted N to go around exploring new things all the time, so there is a constant throughput of stuff being unexplained and seeming mysterious, which later gets explained and becomes non-mysterious. So I always feel somewhat mysterious, and it always seems as if information is coming to me from strange sources.

To add to this effect, because I've explained (to myself) so many seemingly mysterious things, and I can explain them to other people, some people see me as downright dark and mysterious, without me lifting a finger.
    Neutral good Fi-ENFp 4w3 sp/so 479 gentle spirit, 50yo male. Travels the land seeking a good sig line.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Bardsandwarriors View Post
    Agreed. But it's in the nature of an extraverted N to go around exploring new things all the time, so there is a constant throughput of stuff being unexplained and seeming mysterious, which later gets explained and becomes non-mysterious. So I always feel somewhat mysterious, and it always seems as if information is coming to me from strange sources.

To add to this effect, because I've explained (to myself) so many seemingly mysterious things, and I can explain them to other people, some people see me as downright dark and mysterious, without me lifting a finger.
    i think its the intuition in general that might at times be unexplained and seemingly mysterious. Ni tends to go much deeper and its harder to notice where something came from than with Ne, because Ne gets triggered by the external world(or inner images of external world), so its easier to deduce what triggered it, while with Ni there might not be any external triggers.

the reason why i said Ni and NFs in general, is because with INTJ for example, the intuitions might often be beyond of what their aux Te can handle. but with NTPs for example, those external intuitions gets more easier abstracted to something that makes sense in logical manner, more so with INTPs than ENTPs, but i dont see ENTPs being as irrational than INTJs often are with their intuitions. NFs on the other hand often are not that prone to force T judgment all over and only accept things that can be judged with T, so i think they are more prone to this psychic what ever thing.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so

Ni is prophetic. In 2002 Ron Paul (INTJ) predicted what US government will do for the next decade in this video.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFp Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i think its the intuition in general that might at times be unexplained and seemingly mysterious. Ni tends to go much deeper and its harder to notice where something came from than with Ne, because Ne gets triggered by the external world(or inner images of external world), so its easier to deduce what triggered it, while with Ni there might not be any external triggers.
    Perhaps I don't understand the functions well enough yet. But I find that my Ne is a very external process: I am watching something intently or hearing something, and I am seeing all of the causes and consequences of it, like rally driver would see the road snaking in front of him. Is that Ne?

But then I may slip into a reverie, trying to make sense of parts of it. Or sometimes I will be lost in thought while I am doing something completely unrelated. My senses switch off and I see events in my head, as a daydream, and I am trying to figure out (sometimes desperately) why something happened, or why someone did something. My mind rolls some event around, until I see why it unfolded as it did. Is that Ni?

Or I will be lost at a deeper level, following a flow of ideas, feelings and colours which follow very naturally in sequence, leading me to some realisation. But if I try to remember this process, it seems out of reach. When occasionally I can retrace it, it takes a lot of conscious work to find out why each idea led inexorably to the next ideas; and it amazes me that it seemed so obvious, when at a conscious level it isn't at all obvious.

As you say, the triggers of those internal processes aren't very clear. But with me, it seems to go from some externalised process, if it needs further thought to understand, to an internal reverie. It may pop up again and again, even in my dreams. Eventually, (with hindsight) it becomes clear.

the reason why i said Ni and NFs in general, is because with INTJ for example, the intuitions might often be beyond of what their aux Te can handle. but with NTPs for example, those external intuitions gets more easier abstracted to something that makes sense in logical manner, more so with INTPs than ENTPs, but i dont see ENTPs being as irrational than INTJs often are with their intuitions. NFs on the other hand often are not that prone to force T judgment all over and only accept things that can be judged with T, so i think they are more prone to this psychic what ever thing.
    Much of this is beyond me right now. I am trying to work through it piece by piece. For instance, what do you mean by NFs only accepting things that can be judged with T? Isn't F the dominant judging function?

garbage

Confirmation bias, man. You just have to think really, really hard that you're right about everything, all the time. Reframe the world such that it matches your perception. Just beat that sentiment into your skull, and you can convince yourself that you're a psychic.

--

On a more helpful note, read Proposed definition #4 on Lenore's thing.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Confirmation bias, man. You just have to think really, really hard that you're right about everything, all the time. Reframe the world such that it matches your perception. Just beat that sentiment into your skull, and you can convince yourself that you're a psychic.

--

On a more helpful note, read Proposed definition #4 on Lenore's thing.
    When I was in high school, I did a yearly competition that was kind of like a geography bee combined with a current events/global affairs quiz show, where all the questions were multiple choice and we were put into four-person teams. One of the guys on my team -- a friend of mine, ENTJ 9w8/8w9 -- got a reputation for stuff like Lenore's thing, only in the middle of competitions, when we'd all be serious. We'd be looking at this question, with absolutely no idea how to answer it, and he'd say in this slow, serene deadpan: "I'm getting a feel for option D."
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!