5 15.63%
  • 90-100 %

5 15.63%
123 Last

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default The Real Percentage

How many people are real? Being themselves, not fakes, etc...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Define "fake."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I was hoping for everyone to define it for themselves. I have very strict rules for being real. I'm not sure if I fill the criteria myself. With the poll I am interested in seeing how you see it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I think those that are sincere to the letter of their impulses are usually cultural "fringe-dwellers". (It should be understood that this distinction, while distant from popular ethical approval, does not necessarily suggest a critique of the individual - simply that his behavior is noticeably disparate from his neighbor's.)

Extreme individualism; interesting concept.

Being "fake" is a necessity for successful communal living; our collective efficiency towards serving this adaptation is tied to our present problem of (among other things) overpopulation.

MBTI
    OMNi

Real about who they are in the inside? Less than 1%.

It's why I try to be brutally honest, even on a forum like this one. The cost of doing so though is you always feel like you are defending yourself because you don't have the luxury of pretending it is just some internet persona. In real life, I freely display much of the real me as well, which is probably why I am still single.

I have met some extraordinarily fake people though. I'm sure I will get yelled at for saying it, but It seems to somehow be related to extrovertedness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think everyone is "real"....its just that some people's "real selves" are considered shallow/uninteresting/fake/etc by some people.

On a related note, it amuses me to see people who think everyone else is fake (not saying the OP is like this). Unlikely.

This does depend on the definition of fakeness though....in my eyes it doesn't make someone fake to avoid blurting out every retarded thought that pops into their head, for instance.

MBTI
    INFP

I think everyone has times when they are really truly 'real', but pretty much everyone acts fake because... well, sometimes you just have to.
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Oh, how nice. So many different perspectives on being real.

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Being "fake" is a necessity for successful communal living; our collective efficiency towards serving this adaptation is tied to our present problem of (among other things) overpopulation.
    I agree. The more people, the more strangers who you need to guard your real self from.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    The cost of doing so though is you always feel like you are defending yourself because you don't have the luxury of pretending it is just some internet persona. In real life, I freely display much of the real me as well, which is probably why I am still single.
    Love this comment. Very brave of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I think everyone is "real"....its just that some people's "real selves" are considered shallow/uninteresting/fake/etc by some people.
    I don't really agree. There is a difference being fake and being shallow. The shallow and boring people are often more interesting than the fake ones.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I don't really agree. There is a difference being fake and being shallow. The shallow and boring people are often more interesting than the fake ones.
    Can you define fake, then? Because I don't think I've ever met a fake person.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Really? Whoah... We live in very different worlds. I have to think about the definition for a while. I guess it's mostly a feeling that I get from someone.