User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: infp and istj?

Member Array
    4w3 sx/sp

My mom is INFP and my dad is ISTJ, they've been married over 22 years so it can definitely work out Communication is key. Although I have to say I'm rather surprised you feel like his mother, with my parents it's the exact opposite. My dad has to bring my mom back down to earth constantly lol she's three years older but you'd never know it. I think one of the most important things is compromise. The ISTJ needs to be willing to pay attention to the emotional needs of the INFP and be willing to be a sounding board for ideas. The INFP needs to be willing to accept the ISTJ's need for stability and not try to throw huge surprises their way.

Junior Member Array
    4w5 sx
    EII None

My dad's an ISTJ. You'd find him annoying any day in the week. I'd have to say you either have to prove him wrong in a way that challenges his previous thoughts - disregard thoughts about your personal values (which would be hard for a regular NF, much more for an INFP then) and get down and dirty with cold logic and actual occurrences. The trick with ISTJs lie in Si - it has to be provable and repeatable - basically the scientific approach. It's slow, yes, but that's the only way I could think an ISTJ might change their routine.

Of course, that doesn't account for the possibility that the ISTJ might stick with his ways out of sheer laziness and lack of effort. After all, what's routine is nice. Look at Ebenezer Scrooge (the miser from the Christmas Carol) - is he really working for money, or does he simply do what he used to do? He's an ISTJ after all - he'd say, "I'm simply doing what I've been doing!"

Scrooge: What reason have you got to be merry? You’re poor enough.
    Fred: What reason have you got to be miserable? You’re rich enough.
    Scrooge: There is no such thing as rich enough; only poor enough.”