• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Suicide okey dokey ??

unityemissions

MBTI Type
INFP
Wuzzup crazies! I got a question for this community. What are your opinions on the right for someone to commit suicide?

I've talked to a lot of people who are either very for, or very against this. I'm thinking the distinction may be centered around orientation of feeling function. It seems that Fe thinks the act is selfish, and immoral. Fi seems to reason that it's ultimatley the individuals choice, and should be respected. At least, that's what I'm seeing it as, but may be off here.

I think it's entirely up to the individual. Some people tell me it's selfish because your loved ones will be in so much pain, but I find this a pathetic cop-out. In my mind, it's the exact reverse. I think it's selfish to not respect the right of an individual to check out if they don't think the price of admission is worth the ride. It's a basic, universal right in my mind.

Thinkers try to reason that it's "invalid"...as if you can validate or invalidate something like suicide!! :shock: WTF??

It's super duper personal. We have no clue what someone is experiencing internally. People aren't given the choice to enter this world, but they have the choice to end it if they are suffering so badly. Some people don't find help anywhere. No meds, social support...nothing works. I say it should be deeply respected.

Does this make any sense?

What is your stance? I'm wondering if my assumption that it's an Fi/Fe issue is correct or not.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I don't judge people who have .. I just think its stupid.

unityemissions

MBTI Type
INFP
Okay, why do you think it's stupid? I just don't get it. I knew someone who commited suicide, and I never thought to think "this is stupid"...don't really understand how it could be like that. Maybe you're sheltered...I dunno.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Suicide is for losers who have chosen to accept failure!

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have a feeling i'm going to hate this thread.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We've had this thread already. I don't see the point of judgement. It's clearly not good, but people who do it are sick, it being a bad action doesn't matter to them, especially after they are dead. Probably the most appropriate thought for a suicide is, "I wish we could've helped them more."

A

Anew Leaf

Wuzzup crazies! I got a question for this community. What are your opinions on the right for someone to commit suicide?

I've talked to a lot of people who are either very for, or very against this. I'm thinking the distinction may be centered around orientation of feeling function. It seems that Fe thinks the act is selfish, and immoral. Fi seems to reason that it's ultimatley the individuals choice, and should be respected. At least, that's what I'm seeing it as, but may be off here.

I think it's entirely up to the individual. Some people tell me it's selfish because your loved ones will be in so much pain, but I find this a pathetic cop-out. In my mind, it's the exact reverse. I think it's selfish to not respect the right of an individual to check out if they don't think the price of admission is worth the ride. It's a basic, universal right in my mind.

Thinkers try to reason that it's "invalid"...as if you can validate or invalidate something like suicide!! :shock: WTF??

It's super duper personal. We have no clue what someone is experiencing internally. People aren't given the choice to enter this world, but they have the choice to end it if they are suffering so badly. Some people don't find help anywhere. No meds, social support...nothing works. I say it should be deeply respected.

Does this make any sense?

What is your stance? I'm wondering if my assumption that it's an Fi/Fe issue is correct or not.

Here, let me help you.

Nothing is ever an all or nothing something/something issue unless the subject is delicious and the something 1 is white and the something 2 is black and omg the answer just HAS to be oreos.

unityemissions

MBTI Type
INFP
We've had this thread already. I don't see the point of judgement. It's clearly not good, but people who do it are sick, it being a bad action doesn't matter to them, especially after they are dead. Probably the most appropriate thought for a suicide is, "I wish we could've helped them more."

Erm, I count no less than 3 judgments in this post. Bizarre.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Erm, I count no less than 3 judgments in this post. Bizarre.

Judgement in suicide. I don't mind judging other things, like maybe your reading comprehension.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think that my opinion of suicide depends on the situation. For instance, let's take two different common scenarios on which a person may commit suicide:

1) A man who has been with a woman for five years, and has his girlfriend break up with him all of a sudden, out of nowhere. This man then feels so depressed, and feels like life is now pointless, and he would rather die. The man then takes a gun and blows his brains out.

To me, this is a situation where suicide was pointless: the man probably would have eventually found someone else, and the man is now dead for no good reason.

2) A man is dying of a debilitating cancer, very slowly and painfully. The man has consulted multiple doctors and they all tell him that there's pretty much no chance of recovery and that he is basically just waiting to die. So the man is now suffering everyday and is in excruciating pain, and he knows he is dead anyway, so he picks up a gun and shoots himself.

Now in my opinion, this is a good reason to commit suicide: the man used suicide to end his suffering, and there was no chance of recovery, and he would wind up dead soon anyway, so why would it matter?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think that my opinion of suicide depends on the situation. For instance, let's take two different common scenarios on which a person may commit suicide:

1) A man who has been with a woman for five years, and has his girlfriend break up with him all of a sudden, out of nowhere. This man then feels so depressed, and feels like life is now pointless, and he would rather die. The man then takes a gun and blows his brains out.

To me, this is a situation where suicide was pointless: the man probably would have eventually found someone else, and the man is now dead for no good reason.

2) A man is dying of a debilitating cancer, very slowly and painfully. The man has consulted multiple doctors and they all tell him that there's pretty much no chance of recovery and that he is basically just waiting to die. So the man is now suffering everyday and is in excruciating pain, and he knows he is dead anyway, so he picks up a gun and shoots himself.

Now in my opinion, this is a good reason to commit suicide: the man used suicide to end his suffering, and there was no chance of recovery, and he would wind up dead soon anyway, so why would it matter?

this sums up my views as well, but i can understand the first scenerio aswell and why someone might do it.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
this sums up my views as well, but i can understand the first scenerio aswell and why someone might do it.

Yes, I can understand it as well. However, the first scenario, in my opinion, is still a poor reason to commit suicide.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you on drugs?

Go back and reread your post. You judged the act specifically.

The act is unhealthy.. but why does it matter so much to you to label it good or bad? What metric do you intend to use it for? To decide how you feel about the person afterwards? To decide if he did a bad thing? The sickness is bad, not the person.

Is it to discourage people from committing suicide? They already know there is something very wrong and it overrides their will to live, what does it matter if you say it's bad?

unityemissions

MBTI Type
INFP
[MENTION=15607]The Great One[/MENTION]

Thank you for the first decent reply in the thread, IMO.

I think people should realize that some people have incredibly horrible situations, like the one you described #2. The people who are saying, "it's stupid" are simply naive or idiotic, IMO.

I also think the first situation may be reason enough for some who are so unstable/insane that they truly won't get through the breakup. Say an uber dork that never gets laid, until he does, but she leaves him and he's left with this lingering notion that he'll never get laid and be loved again. It's too much to bare, so he does the deed.