User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 98

  1. #11
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unityemissions View Post
    Erm, I count no less than 3 judgments in this post. Bizarre.
    Judgement in suicide. I don't mind judging other things, like maybe your reading comprehension.

  2. #12
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    I think that my opinion of suicide depends on the situation. For instance, let's take two different common scenarios on which a person may commit suicide:

    1) A man who has been with a woman for five years, and has his girlfriend break up with him all of a sudden, out of nowhere. This man then feels so depressed, and feels like life is now pointless, and he would rather die. The man then takes a gun and blows his brains out.

    To me, this is a situation where suicide was pointless: the man probably would have eventually found someone else, and the man is now dead for no good reason.

    2) A man is dying of a debilitating cancer, very slowly and painfully. The man has consulted multiple doctors and they all tell him that there's pretty much no chance of recovery and that he is basically just waiting to die. So the man is now suffering everyday and is in excruciating pain, and he knows he is dead anyway, so he picks up a gun and shoots himself.

    Now in my opinion, this is a good reason to commit suicide: the man used suicide to end his suffering, and there was no chance of recovery, and he would wind up dead soon anyway, so why would it matter?

  3. #13
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    I think that my opinion of suicide depends on the situation. For instance, let's take two different common scenarios on which a person may commit suicide:

    1) A man who has been with a woman for five years, and has his girlfriend break up with him all of a sudden, out of nowhere. This man then feels so depressed, and feels like life is now pointless, and he would rather die. The man then takes a gun and blows his brains out.

    To me, this is a situation where suicide was pointless: the man probably would have eventually found someone else, and the man is now dead for no good reason.

    2) A man is dying of a debilitating cancer, very slowly and painfully. The man has consulted multiple doctors and they all tell him that there's pretty much no chance of recovery and that he is basically just waiting to die. So the man is now suffering everyday and is in excruciating pain, and he knows he is dead anyway, so he picks up a gun and shoots himself.

    Now in my opinion, this is a good reason to commit suicide: the man used suicide to end his suffering, and there was no chance of recovery, and he would wind up dead soon anyway, so why would it matter?
    this sums up my views as well, but i can understand the first scenerio aswell and why someone might do it.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Judgement in suicide. I don't mind judging other things, like maybe your reading comprehension.
    Are you on drugs?

    Go back and reread your post. You judged the act specifically.

  5. #15
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    this sums up my views as well, but i can understand the first scenerio aswell and why someone might do it.
    Yes, I can understand it as well. However, the first scenario, in my opinion, is still a poor reason to commit suicide.

  6. #16
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unityemissions View Post
    Are you on drugs?

    Go back and reread your post. You judged the act specifically.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  7. #17
    Senior Member The Great One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    3,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unityemissions View Post
    Are you on drugs?

    Go back and reread your post. You judged the act specifically.
    Who was this comment directed at?

  8. #18
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Yes, I can understand it as well. However, the first scenario, in my opinion, is still a poor reason to commit suicide.
    yes i agree, i never said it wasn't
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  9. #19
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unityemissions View Post
    Are you on drugs?

    Go back and reread your post. You judged the act specifically.
    The act is unhealthy.. but why does it matter so much to you to label it good or bad? What metric do you intend to use it for? To decide how you feel about the person afterwards? To decide if he did a bad thing? The sickness is bad, not the person.

    Is it to discourage people from committing suicide? They already know there is something very wrong and it overrides their will to live, what does it matter if you say it's bad?

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    54

    Default

    @The Great One

    Thank you for the first decent reply in the thread, IMO.

    I think people should realize that some people have incredibly horrible situations, like the one you described #2. The people who are saying, "it's stupid" are simply naive or idiotic, IMO.

    I also think the first situation may be reason enough for some who are so unstable/insane that they truly won't get through the breakup. Say an uber dork that never gets laid, until he does, but she leaves him and he's left with this lingering notion that he'll never get laid and be loved again. It's too much to bare, so he does the deed.

Similar Threads

  1. "Are those arms hanging down from the ceiling? Okey-dokey!"
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
  2. Possibly Suicidal ENFJ Friend
    By Mempy in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 07:28 PM
  3. Suicide and social power
    By labyrinthine in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2007, 03:04 AM
  4. Discrete methods of suicide
    By JivinJeffJones in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO