MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Default Fi in an ENFP, using How to train your dragon, spoiler alert

Warning, spoiler alert for the movie 'How to train your dragon.'

I used spoiler tags in the first post here to avoid any accidents, but for the flow of the convo, be warned that spoiler tags will no longer be used!

It occurred to me, when rewatching this movie today that Hiccup is about as ENFP as they come. He sees both sides of the conflict, he does not fit in, he is a social outcast and a weirdo, considered incompetent and despite his best efforts is somehow not capable of just turning off his bleeping Fi and *doing* what is expected of him by his tribe and his family already.

The bolded = Fi to me as an ENFP. It is the crux. It is the essence of life itself. And it is something I cannot violate without violating myself equally so. Nor will it matter if I violate it, as I will be unable to budge on it anyways. Nor will it be possible to clearly word why it is that I cannot do whatever it is they are demanding from me. It feels wrong in *every* possible way, with every fibre of my being, to the point where I am willing to be considered a social pariah and worse. I'll doubt myself the way Hiccup does, feel immensely guilty for disappointing my family, cringe at the fact that I cannot seem to get my life together, that I am hurting *everyone* I love..but in the end it won't matter. It would be like trying to rip out my soul because it is inconvenient to have one. It is plain impossible.

And boy does it get me in trouble.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I didn't really read him as an extrovert at all, based on his behavior (he typically acts in private when at all possible, and has to expend energy to extrovert, and even when he's forced to act overtly, he's very low-key about it)... and I don't think the feelings you are describe are specific to one type such as ENFP...

... but I'd like to hear more about your personal ENFP experience, the rest of the post was interesting. It sounds like the movie definitely resonated with you.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

I kind of read him like me, as an INFP. tbh. But I'm not up on how each type uses functions. I also may have been projecting.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I didn't really read him as an extrovert at all, based on his behavior (he typically acts in private when at all possible, and has to expend energy to extrovert, and even when he's forced to act overtly, he's very low-key about it)... and I don't think the feelings you are describe are specific to one type such as ENFP...

... but I'd like to hear more about your personal ENFP experience, the rest of the post was interesting. It sounds like the movie definitely resonated with you.
    Grin. You could say that. I read him as an extravert coz I recognise the need to be alone coz you are considered a weirdo (and therefore it gives you nothing but guilt and shame as experience), while still having that need to tinker and looking for unconventional solutions (his constructing a weapon in order to overcome his weaknesses and finally connect with the group the way he yearns to do). His need to look at things from all angles and therefore see the situation very much different from his peers and his tribesmen is so classic Ne it hurts. In a way, he is the male version of Pocahontas in this movie, bringing two conflicting sides together using his ability to mediate and flexibility to understand both sides.

Aside from that, he still builds the weapon, focusing on his ability to engineer, to invent, to imagine. It is only after he uses it that his Fi kicks in and goes...oh uh. I cannot do this, not if it has this consequence!

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    I kind of read him like me, as an INFP. tbh. But I'm not up on how each type uses functions.
    I would imagine that other Fi-users, especially our I-cousins would relate to him as well, yes. I specifically used ENFP in the title because I was not sure this would happen and I did not want to speak for other types
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I would imagine that other Fi-users, especially our I-cousins would relate to him as well, yes. I specifically used ENFP in the title because I was not sure this would happen and I did not want to speak for other types
    See, this is how lame i am on MBTI, i totally forgot that functions are shared.

I did think his dragon could be ENFP as well though, but this assessment is based on the highly scientific, Cute + Incredibly Expressive Non Verbal Facial Expressions theory.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

See, this is how lame i am on MBTI, i totally forgot that functions are shared.

I did think his dragon could be ENFP as well though, but this assessment is based on the highly scientific, Cute + Incredibly Expressive Non Verbal Facial Expressions theory.
    He is definitely adorable enough for it

My friends saw the movie in the cinema and went like: A, go see that movie. It has cute kitten dragons in it, and tells the tale of how animal whisperers work. This is a must for you!
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

HE IS A KITTEN DRAGON AND I WANT ONE!!! <insert manic jumpy claps in here>

Anyways, i'll stop derailing now

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

HE IS A KITTEN DRAGON AND I WANT ONE!!! <insert manic jumpy claps in here>

Anyways, i'll stop derailing now
    He seriously looks like my Lulu. Demonic black with gorgeous eyes

★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Grin. You could say that. I read him as an extravert coz I recognise the need to be alone coz you are considered a weirdo (and therefore it gives you nothing but guilt and shame as experience), while still having that need to tinker and looking for unconventional solutions (his constructing a weapon in order to overcome his weaknesses and finally connect with the group the way he yearns to do). His need to look at things from all angles and therefore see the situation very much different from his peers and his tribesmen is so classic Ne it hurts. In a way, he is the male version of Pocahontas in this movie, bringing two conflicting sides together using his ability to mediate and flexibility to understand both sides.

Aside from that, he still builds the weapon, focusing on his ability to engineer, to invent, to imagine. It is only after he uses it that his Fi kicks in and goes...oh uh. I cannot do this, not if it has this consequence!
    I agree that Hiccup and Pocahontas played a very similar role in the movie, although I always read her as INFJ as portrayed in the movie -- very controlled, very private, very protective of her feelings, liking to have everything organized and structured (and her operating through Ni insight, where signs and symbols resonate into some inarticulatable but comprehensible vision for her life). Hiccup seems far more (F)P to me... easy-going, tinkering, playing around, seeing where things go, playing them by ear, finding himself taking risks mostly because he can't draw artificial boundaries for himself... So jah, the Ne thing too.

Okaybe.

So are you considered a weirdo? That's a serious question... I don't think I've ever seen you as a weirdo, in fact you seem more of a popular person to me whereas I feel very self-restrained, not very visible, enigmatic and not very attractive sometimes, etc. You just seem very self-assured and likeable and emotionally out there, drawing people to yourself. So I find it interesting when you offer a perspective where you feel like you are labeled a weirdo, and I want to understand where you're coming from!

EDIT: Yup, I just told Nji that they changed the concept from what I've read about the book and made him a flyable, feline dragon. I think it works well, I wouldn't have taken to him otherwise probably. But how Toothless moves, acts, etc., is so cat-like... very cute... and still threatening.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I agree that Hiccup and Pocahontas played a very similar role in the movie, although I always read her as INFJ as portrayed in the movie -- very controlled, very private, very protective of her feelings, liking to have everything organized and structured (and her operating through Ni insight, where signs and symbols resonate into some inarticulatable but comprehensible vision for her life). Hiccup seems far more (F)P to me... easy-going, tinkering, playing around, seeing where things go, playing them by ear, finding himself taking risks mostly because he can't draw artificial boundaries for himself... So jah, the Ne thing too.

Okaybe.

So are you considered a weirdo? That's a serious question... I don't think I've ever seen you as a weirdo, in fact you seem more of a popular person to me whereas I feel very self-restrained, not very visible, enigmatic and not very attractive sometimes, etc. You just seem very self-assured and likeable and emotionally out there, drawing people to yourself. So I find it interesting when you offer a perspective where you feel like you are labeled a weirdo, and I want to understand where you're coming from!
    Honestly, Pocahontas I identify really hard with as well. I see her as the mature type of ENFP, one that has learned to somewhat put Ne on a leash when need be. She still has that quirky running around, playfulness that her father frowns on, the doubting on the marrying the stable sturdy but boring man, her need to self-reflect, while using Grandma Willow as a sounding board to follow her own heart. Very very Fi, imo. She too is labeled a weirdo in her tribe for that reason.

As for your question. I was bullied my entire life in school. I was a social outcast in just about every group I was part of, growing up. Including my own family. There is a reason I identify as a 4

Fe was not...something I was good at, growing up. And it cost me my social life, especially with other women. Men I started connecting with around 15-16 for obvious reasons. I also did the tomboy thing before that as guys are less..picky as to who is part of the group, as long as they perform (and I was pretty damned good at football )
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★