• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Do NFs care about anything outside of ethics/emotions?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Eileen said:
Kiddo, if you are NF, do you care about anything outside of ethics/emotion?

So NFs, do you care about anything outside of ethics/emotions?

I can't think of anything offhand. I don't even really care about logic, but maybe that is just me.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

I can't think of anything offhand. I don't even really care about logic, but maybe that is just me.

Sure you do.

Logic is just a mechanical description of pattern. Emotions contain logic.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Definitely. I care about accuracy, clarity, proper procedure, and insight as well. The reason I usually value them is because I feel that they create a positive environment that contributes to the welfare of people as a whole. I definitely value humanity in general such that I want to ensure their future existence and quality of life as well as possible. Logic seems to me to be a valuable resource for that, not to mention something with which I can entertain myself when I'm bored and alone.

I think that becoming more intelligent brings us upward and out of more primative/animal-like and cyclical patterns of thought, allowing us to progress and truly become a better kind of being.

Unlike some NT's, I don't believe that all emotions are primative, but rather that some are useless, harmful relics that drag us down, and that the rest are important to who we are as human beings.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Yet, you care about emotion.

D'you see the discrepancy? ;)

Are you saying that emotions can't exist without logic? Because maybe logic isn't always a component in emotions. Maybe I don't have to care whether my emotions are logical or not.

Definitely. I care about accuracy, clarity, proper procedure, and insight as well.

Or maybe you value those things because you would be embarrassed if you messed up or made a mistake. Or maybe it is because you want to feel respected.

I definitely value humanity in general such that I want to ensure their future existence and quality of life as well as possible.

Or maybe you are just afraid of being left all alone in the world.

Logic seems to me to be a valuable resource for that, not to mention something with which I can entertain myself when I'm bored and alone.

Bored? Sounds like an emotion to me.

I think that becoming more intelligent brings us upward and out of more animal-like and cyclical patterns of thought, allowing us to progress and truly become a better kind of being.

Why would you want to be a better kind of being?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Are you saying that emotions can't exist without logic? Because maybe logic isn't always a component in emotions. Maybe I don't have to care whether my emotions are logical or not.

;)

Logic as a description of pattern.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
I don't think you'll be getting anywhere with a question like this, especially given that you asked it's polar opposite in the NT section as well.

I am unable to answer your question concisely because I'm pretty much unsure about my hierarchy of values, that would also contain how much I care about ethics and emotions -- I find it important that people treat each other with decency and a degree of kindness, and I try to reflect this in my own interactions, but that to me isn't very indicative of just "how much" I care about it. Because, I also care for such conceptions as logical decision making, problem solving, impartiality and non-judgment when situations call for the most suitable of them.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Well, I think that it should be, because it's a beneficial value to have. Why would you want to value something harmful?
Or maybe you value those things because you would be embarrassed if you messed up or made a mistake. Or maybe it is because you want to feel respected.

Or maybe you are just afraid of being left all alone in the world.

Bored? Sounds like an emotion to me.

Why would you want to be a better kind of being?

Of course I have emotional/ethical motivations for valuing logic. I never said I didn't. But that doesn't mean it's not something I pay attention to or concern myself with. I see logic as being an important part of my emotional/ethical systems. Not the only part, but it is very close to being the basis of parts of it. I definitely admit to liking and being comfortable with order, and the tendency of logical systems to have order is the main reason I spend so much time on understanding them, personally. It makes the world seem less chaotic, and I can't stand things that are too chaotic because they make me feel tense and unable to relax.

In my opinion, it is possible to value one idea within the other.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
the answer to the 'question' of this thread should be a fairly obious 'no'. I, for one, am majoring in meteorology, and I've taught myself material since I was 10. I also like type theory because of the complexity that the theory add's (and rienforces how I think that it's terribly stupid to say 'there are two types of people in the world).
Also, some INFPs major in the hard sciences, and there are probably lots and lots of INFP lawyers.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Speaking for myself, I spend my days alternately sobbing and laughing uncontrollably.

Have you been tested for manic-depressive disorder, heart? Sounds like you have it.

Also, you haven't described whether you care about reason or anything other than your ethics/emotions. Do you or don't you? Just curious.

heart

heart on fire
Have you been tested for manic-depressive disorder, heart? Sounds like you have it.

I was being facetious. I couldn't tell if Kiddo was being serious here or not. Of course I care about reason and logic.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
This is such a ludicrous question.

A.) Define "care" please.

B.) NFPs more than likely are concerned with morality, not ethics.

C.) As for "caring" about emotions, of course we care about them, just like every human being does.

I am going to go out on a limb here and state that I think many NFs happen to be primarily concerned with life in general, their personal existence, human beings and what it means to be human. But then again I may be wrong, or simply projecting.

heart

heart on fire
This is such a ludicrous question.

A.) Define "care" please.

B.) NFs more than likely are concerned with morality, not ethics.

C.) As for "caring" about emotions, of course we care about them, just like every human being does.

I am going to go out on a limb here and state that I think many NFs happen to be primarily concerned with life in general, their personal existence, human beings and what it means to be human. But then again I may be wrong, or simply projecting.

I agree with what you say here.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I have a hunch that this is how it correlates.

Fi= morals
Fe= ethics

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Re heart/cc: And that is where I wonder how other temperaments get by without that beautiful connected feeling.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Sex.

I care alot about sex.