• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's and a love for morbidity?

Chromia

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an ENFP, and especially with my INF friends I have noticed an interest in creepy things... I personally love them, and I was wondering if you guys do too. I like them becaue of the thrill, and the passion in loving things others would shun, in the suspence and relating to the evil characters.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it's due to having a fascination with the unknown in general. The dark seems mysterious, and it draws you in. While I'm not into creepy things per se, I like exploring the dark side of human nature through classic literature, crime shows, music, etc. I've been drawn to cynical writing in general. I don't relate to evil characters, but studying them has an appeal to me, like what is going on in their mind, what drives them to commit the acts they do. I speculate on why, and see what the evidence says in the storyline. It seems that darker characters in literature are written in a three-dimensional way, you see many aspects of their personality. Whereas the heroes in literature, you have a glimpse of how they are, but you don't really get the full picture that often. Another aspect is that I yearn for poetic justice against these types of people for what they do to others. Understanding their motives is a way to urge others not to go down that path. It's also a mode to protect myself as well, knowing about the darkness to avoid it. So there's an element of self-protectiveness as well as understanding people.

G

Ginkgo

Evil characters tend to be those who corrupted themselves with good intentions. I've always been drawn to "the dark"; it's a big deal to NFs because they value ethics that tend to come hand in hand with human relations. Morbidity is something to tinker with as an ever-present alternative no matter the context you find yourself in, and NFs like myself who value seeing all sides of the humanities see exploring morbidity as a necessary process of soul-searching. I would bet that many NFs put themselves through it because seeing glimmers of good and beauty is relieving.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I am fascinated with morbidity at all. Sometimes I delve into it, but that's because I'm more fascinated by subversion.. and morbidity in the right places can be subversive. But, often enough, it's cliche and expected, which doesn't do much for my Ne.

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
O radiant Dark! O darkly fostered ray!
Thou hast a joy too deep for shallow Day.
~ George Eliot, The Spanish Gypsy

i seek out both light and darkness in art, so that i may better understand it in people (including myself). being comfortable with it has afforded me a kind of night vision that i value as much, as the light of my relentless optimism.

and with that night vision i see things that are often more alive and richly colored than day.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Seeing the cute, light things of life all the time does not lend to appreciation and understanding.
I am attracted to the darker sides of things just as much, because things are shallow and uninteresting without it.

On the more shallow side, I've always been drawn to the grotesque, slightly taboo, and morbid. Although people have their opinions on what that entails, I tend to like to study it from a distance--watching snakes in cages, or spiders from a safe distance, human surgical procedures in detail, diseases described and photographed, documentaries on incest or off-putting fetishes, horror and gore movies, etc.

Chromia

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Exactly! My fellow ENFP's seem to get it... Liking the dual aspect to life... By morbidity, I more meant studying things others are revolted by, finding the beauty in the darkness... Edgar Allen Poe, H.P Lovecraft, the ending of Macbeth... liking the moral greys, and finding intrigue in the night.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm an ENFP, and especially with my INF friends I have noticed an interest in creepy things... I personally love them, and I was wondering if you guys do too. I like them becaue of the thrill, and the passion in loving things others would shun, in the suspence and relating to the evil characters.

Anakin sky walker is my favorite character of all time. His rise, fall, deeper fall, and eventual redemption! :) ... It's over 6 effing movies lol. I think it's because as NFs we want to believe there were good but misguided intentions behind evil people and a character like Anakin really embodies that.

On top of that I tend to love assassin type characters. At first theyll be rutheless and im fascinated at how they are so calm and unfeeling... Some stories then show them finding those feelings and that's even more interesting (especially if it's a hot chick lol).

Chiharu

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Definitely. My tastes have been described as "morbidly cute" (think ghost-human relations, not skulls and bows :sick:) and my INFJ friend loves gothic romances.

avante

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I think the love for morbidity comes from our desire to understand the human condition. Just as much as we like to understand and achieve happiness, we like to understand and cope with suffering. It is no surprise that a lot of INFPs like myself have an obssession with the profane (eg. crude humor, morbidity...). I also think that analyzing something to an extreme helps us deal with the ugliness of the world, but perhaps that sounds paradoxical.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I am not drawn to creepy-death-related things (a la skeletons, zombies, gore, disease), but I am drawn to mystery, darkness, and grit.

boughtmeawalkman

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I love supernatural horror (like skylights stated, it's not about gore or disease as it is about mystery especially - what if THIS could happen? How do you know it couldn't?) But I love cartoons just as much if not more. For me, I don't think it's so much a love of morbidity as it is a love of something magical. That being said, I would pick "Chowder" (something generally more upbeat and positive) over "The Ring" any day.

Hyacinth

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yess, but is it my nf or is it my 4? who knows.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am drawn to it as well. I never really thought of it as an NF thing though. I suppose it could be.

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm morbid as hell!

Edit: I'm morbid in the sense that.. I like/am interested in gore. Blood. Human deformities. Zombies. etc.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am the King of Creep. Darkness has a chalky sensuality and earnestness about it, one that I find exhilirating.

gretch

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yes! I am so glad you said something! I have always loved graveyards. I will walk through them and just calculate how long people lived. I like to see how they are put next to each other. It makes me think. My husband got me in love with him in an 1800's miner's ghost-town cemetery. I'm not into horror stuff really. I just... I dunno. I have to read all the details of murder cases, especially the ones that are near the sentimental places I love.
I read the obituaries and the crime sections of national newspapers (cold cases).
And lately, it's not really morbid, but it has the same feel as the rest of it for me: I have been transcribing letters that my grandmother had in a box that were my like great great grand parents and such from their relatives over seas. It's lovely. I love looking into my family history.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On a more private, inward level I am drawn to the psychologically dark, complex and even morbid moreso than physical or sensational morbidity.