• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are you fascinated with the outlaw mentality?

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was taking the Oldham personality quiz thing and two of the questions I was asked to rate myself on made me realize things about myself.

1. I am intrigued by an underground kind of life where you can break the rules and get away with it.

2 .Even though I'm not sure I should be, I find myself fascinated by violence, weapons, and martial arts. I like TV shows with a lot of action and violence in them.

I have always been sort of fascinated by the anti-hero. Traditional "good guys" have never really gotten me rooting for them but I've always been captivated by characters that do good despite being imperfect or tormented themselves. Whenever I daydream about being some one else it's typically someone on the edge of society who is good but man not be seen that way.

Also I have a fascination with weapons. Guns especially I like to draw and paint, even though I am very opposed to the idea of everyday people having free access to them. There was a gun that came into out shop the other day and I couldn't tear myself away from it. Maybe because it's a mixture of design and function but also power? It was just really thrilling to look and and hold and tinker with.

I've always also been attracted to the idea of being in a gang or a mafia, or some other type of underground society. Obviously this is due to romantic notions of these things but it still intriguing why this is so, rather than day dreaming about being say highly respected and lauded and powerful.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You have to make the rules, not follow them.

That of course was a Newton quote in my signature.

It correlates quite well with the Adventurous/Antisocial philosophy.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm fascinated by the anarchist mentality. I want to be free and in solidarity with my fellow free people. I want to live a sustainable, independent lifestyle. I want to be able to survive in any situation, using mad ninja skills.

Burger King

1. I am intrigued by an underground kind of life where you can break the rules and get away with it.

I relate to this. Your second point however I can't relate to, because it sounds like idolizing Rambo or something.

If you're looking for reasons why, maybe it's a defense mechanism? If one feels alienated and a bit removed from society, then maybe they start to idolize and romanticize the bizarre, the underground, counterculture. Part of their identity is, I suppose, subconsciously attached to this idea that they're not the same as everyone else, and even worst, that there is something wrong with them, so this defense kicks in.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Kind of. I'm into revolution and uprisings, protests, reform, and overthrowing the powers that be to make way for better leadership. I'm coming to terms with the fact that it's more natural for me to work against something than for something. I'm thinking that maybe I should consider a career in non-profits fighting hunger or disease, or pushing for negotiation and conflict resolution, or exposure journalism, or something of the like, because it would seem that I'm wired to fight. I relate it to sx/so - I'm not interested in being outside of society, but I enjoy placing myself at the fringe of society and constantly working towards improvement.

It's just not exciting otherwise.

In other news - I'm going to get myself killed :laugh:

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sort of. Anything that is not SJ/SP is probably (more) an outlaw.

Intuitive life :(

W

WALMART

Yes.

My favorite stories always have the good guy fighting his demons.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
No, I'm too risk averse. I like my hedonism á la Hobbit rather than á la Hell's Angels.

It's not that I cannot get into the Robin Hood spirit, I totally can. It's just that most outlaw groups are not less malignant to society than established authority is and I guess I'm sort of a utilitarian humanitarian. If I really believed a group was better, I might be interested in aligning with it.

However, almost every social group ends up with the same problems that you find no matter what kind of group you're dealing with. Hierarchy, favoritism, pandering, posturing, butthurt egos, etc appear to be universal. Doesn't matter if it's the grand revolution, my kid's role player's guild, OWS, the food drive at church -- I'm guessing you get the same stupid crap with bikers and mobsters, too, it's just more likely to end up with physical injury when somebody gets their panties in a twist. You can't get crap done for it, so the risk of incarceration, etc is just not worth it.

I'd rather work toward fixing the society we've got than pretending I'm a special little snowflake the rules don't apply to.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha, no.. I am kind of fascinated why this is the NF Idyllic section. The OP coming from an INTP makes me wonder if it isn't some sort of reaction to baby Fe.

I do have a tiny bit of outlaw cred, I was a troubled teen. I don't follow rules if I think they're senseless and if I can get away with it. I do have an attraction to slumming, but only because it feels like a place I can go to for very low pressure and it somehow attracts my counterphobic impulses. But outlawing isn't something I'm fascinated with.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd rather work toward fixing the society we've got than pretending I'm a special little snowflake the rules don't apply to.

:yes: Me too. Ultimately we're all a part of society, whether we choose to realize it or not.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
However, almost every social group ends up with the same problems that you find no matter what kind of group you're dealing with. Hierarchy, favoritism, pandering, posturing, butthurt egos, etc appear to be universal. Doesn't matter if it's the grand revolution, my kid's role player's guild, OWS, the food drive at church -- I'm guessing you get the same stupid crap with bikers and mobsters, too, it's just more likely to end up with physical injury when somebody gets their panties in a twist. You can't get crap done for it, so the risk of incarceration, etc is just not worth it.

Yeah, agree. There'd always have to be some sort of power hierarchy / order. Even if it didn't start out that way or it wasn't the initial purpose or 'Mission Statement', it would eventually morph in that direction. I guess I see 'outlaw mentality' as another version of law and order....just a different set of rules and power structure (maybe not codified, but unspoken rules, principles, value systems that are expected to be followed to be part of that group).

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

2 .Even though I'm not sure I should be, I find myself fascinated by violence, weapons, and martial arts. I like TV shows with a lot of action and violence in them.
i have a very rebellious streak, am an extreme risk taker and was a very precocious kid. a rather dangerous combination.

i also come from a line of female revolutionaries on my mother's side. :smile: and while there is something intrinsically attractive to me about upheaval, radical social change or revolution, at some point as a kid i realized that 'bending the rules' is pointless and eventually boring if you can outwit the rule makers most of the time, if you see through the inevitable pandering and posturing [MENTION=4]cafe[/MENTION] alluded to. perhaps the battle should first be fought within.

i went on to study the psychology of leadership and group movements and was sorely disappointed to find that, in many cases, people's "shadow" sides eventually take over and pollute the very causes they fight for, eventually leading to their destruction. i some cases they were consumed by the process, in some cases quite voluntarily (e.g., Gandhi).

i began to explore self-mastery (and by extension mastery of one's environment) and my curiosity was sated. it became impossible to ignore things like martial arts (i have studied tuishou and other internal martial arts) as well as philosophies including the Tao and a more meditative path. this journey has been the most satisfying of all.

i have learned so much, and one of the things i have learned is that independenty-existing external forces stronger than myself are somewhat rare. i am frightfully strong but there is always always a dual. something else to be conquered. so while being strong gives me a great deal of confidence, i have the experience of having summoned the courage to face and conquer myself (a lifelong process) and as a result do not fear facing an equally strong or stronger opponent. they are a much longed-for teacher.

all of this has given me insights and skills that i would never have had if i had not internalized the struggle. when you do this, you begin to see things as they are. it is so thrilling, so empowering to face one's inner demons...to face your most deep-seated fears because you then learn to truly love yourself along the way. (the hidden joy is that, when someone loves you, you can then mindfully draw forth the very best you have to offer.)

i will never lose my fascination with a more rebellious mentality. but it starts and ends inside, with me.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
for sure. i always used to root for the bad guy, even as a kid. and now i surround myself with them lol.

Burger King

This thread is vague and I think I misunderstood OP lol. Some of ya'll linking this to wanting to become some sort of criminal, breaking laws for the sake of breaking laws, and taking candy from children or something. I had something else in mind - I was thinking Orwell 1984-esque, rebelling against the corrupt powers that be. Something cheesy like that.

Special snowflakes tend to be the movers and shakers in this world. Ain't no shame in wanting to be one. ;)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Special snowflakes tend to be the movers and shakers in this world. Ain't no shame in wanting to be one. ;)
I don't know about that. I think they are more likely to be the one to let a pregnant lady with a baby on one hip and a toddler hanging onto her hand open the door for him on his way to his illegally parked sports car. If that guy was the kind to fight for the rights of custodians, cashiers and grill cooks, I'd have to eat my nonexistent hat.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

No. Special snowflakes that think the rules don't apply to them have an entitlement complex. They also expect the entire world to revolve around them and guess what.....they can eat their high maintenance happy meal elsewhere. They aren't doers or movers and shakers. They are parasites.

Burger King

This seemed like a harmless thread about daydreams and why ppl romanticize about such things though. I'm not surprised that the INFJs were the ones that were quick to pass judgement.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am more a fan of kaos. I would love to say, "I am become death, the destroyer of worlds." A daimon in service of a greater good.