• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs - does your insight into people hinder your relationships?

metalmommy

so ready
I find that my ability to easily and deeply understand people is often off putting to them. Over my lifetime I've noticed that people don't like it that I can see their mental inner workings. I often don't realize that I've seen something they don't want me to until I've said something in passing and suddenly I'm staring at a wall.

Being an INfJ, it's already difficult for me to find people I can be close to, but it seems like my ability to read others just makes it that much harder. People put up their walls and push me away when they discover I can see, even tho I'm not judging what I see. Seeing alone is enough to put people off.

I've tried to mitigate this by keeping my observations to myself, but like I said, sometimes I don't realize I've hit on something that deep until it's too late.

Do any of you other NFs have this problem?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not an NF obviously but if people can figure parts of me out and communicate those things one on one, I admire this.

Edit: Or at the very least, am intrigued.

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find that my ability to understand people better than a large percentage of the population is often off putting to them. Over my lifetime I've noticed that some people don't like it that I can see their mental inner workings. I often don't take the time to test who they really are until I've said something in passing and suddenly I'm staring at a wall.
I've tried to mitigate this by hiding my personality and character rather than risk the pain of rejection, but like I said, sometimes I don't realize I've hit on something that deep until it's too late.

Do any of you other people have this problem?

I'm wondering if some of the above suggested changes might make it easier for you to express your situation?

If so, then Yes to your question :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say it makes it more difficult to interact on the surface with small talk. If I observe a person my mind moves towards deeper aspects of a person, but I do observe people like a river - as dynamic systems with many layers and continually evolving, so I never draw absolute conclusions about people.

metalmommy

so ready
I'm wondering if some of the above suggested changes might make it easier for you to express your situation?

If so, then Yes to your question :)

It's not about being rejected. It's also not about hiding my character. It's a side effect of how my mind works. It's sometimes challenging to deal with the result when I've accidentally tapped into something that a person was trying to keep hidden. It's awkward, and some people react very strongly.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have to say that I've never bought into the idea that some people don't like INFJs because we're too insightful. I've heard this quite a bit and it seems like a really arrogant approach. If other people don't like something about you (or me), it's probably worth examining other character flaws.

I think the only people who have seemed upset or annoyed because I showed insight into some aspect of their character were real asses, who were perhaps two-faced hypocrites and didn't like that being shown up. Someone nice and genuine isn't likely to react that way. It also seems that some INFJs do the sort of "I'm right about you...even if you disagree with me, I'm never wrong" sort of thing and honestly I think most human beings would find that terribly annoying.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
About the closest I could say I relate to that is a good friend of mine feeling that I should say what I disapproved of about him, as he thought that I had opinions on some things, but was keeping them to myself. He tended to act quite differently depending on the company he was in (one of the horndog kind of boys, the absolute gentleman, the ENTJ dominater, the thoughtful kind guy, the philosopher king etc). Several other friends had mentioned it to him and he felt their criticism was invalid.

I felt like what he puts out there is his decision. He couldn't keep people from making some judgements about how they felt about that and how they were going to relate to him. His behaviour was a little inconsistant, but I also had enough respect for him in other areas (and I wasn't dating him) that it wasn't that big of a deal to me as it didn't really affect me personally. The kind of thing that if he asked for feedback, I was willing to be frank, but if he didn't, I didn't feel it was needful to volunteer it and it probably wouldn't ultimately serve any useful purpose.

I am often reluctant to put my opinion out there unless it is solicited, which can sometimes result in people feeling judged, when I am really not doing so, even internally. I am interested however in what makes them tick, because I'd like to understand the whole picture (as fia said) and I can see how that could be disconcerting if you aren't then also getting feedback about it.

In cases where I am tremendously close to the person and they are doing something destructive to the relationship and they won't give any insight into why they are doing what they are, I also have a tendancy to review all the possibilities and go with the most likely I can see (I'd prefer real info, but can't stand dealing with all the nebulous possibilities if I don't have it. I need some concrete way to pick an appropriate course of action and way of understanding the situation). I'm very open to being corrected, but of course have found that I'm often wrong about the motivations I think others have because I'm looking at it from what that behaviour would mean if I did it. If there's one thing I've learned from here, it's that the same behaviours may mean wildly different things depending on personality type. Of course no one likes to be analyzed and analyzed incorrectly! At the same time, I would only do that with people I have a lot invested in and in the absence of needful information which they cannot or will not give so I can either move on or know how to work the situation out productively.

metalmommy

so ready
Hmm. I've attributed much of my trouble with emotional insight as Being a result of living with thinkers who have difficulty acknowledging, identifying, and dealing with their feelings. it seems my experience is rather dissimilar.

G

garbage

Sure, you can read people. But if you actually know people, you'll realize that virtually all of them value their mental privacy.

A good friend of mine has the tendency to just blurt out what she 'reads' (which is most problematic in the rare cases that she's wrong). Yeah, people close down when that happens.

When you're first getting to know someone, it's best to ask more questions regarding what you 'read,' lead the conversation based upon your assumptions, and so on, rather than to jump right into it. Otherwise, at its worst, it can come across as a con or a scam.

That is, if you've got a conclusion about someone else or their situation, explore it with them. If your conclusion is right, then you'll more effectively lead them to it; if not, then you'll actually learn something.
If other people don't like something about you (or me), it's probably worth examining other character flaws.
This is always great advice for everyone, all the time.
I am often reluctant to put my opinion out there unless it is solicited,
Ooh, I relate to this one. I can have strong opinions, but I'll only barge in when it's obvious that the other person wants feedback--to do otherwise seems extremely pushy to me. Even if I think that I'm 'right' based upon what I know, there's always stuff that I don't know.

If someone close to me asks a question, for example, I'll take that as permission to provide honest feedback; I adhere to the philosophy that one shouldn't ask questions that he doesn't actually want the answer to. Sometimes, I say, sardonically, "Permisison to speak freely." and take it from there.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I usually keep any 'insight' I have about peoples' true motivations, psychae, etc to myself, as I don't usually think it's helpful to point it out to people. However, if a friend is going through a rough period, or it becomes clear to me that they need assistance, I may try to point out various things or possibilities. I guess I don't think it's my place to offer feedback/'insight'/suggestions unless the person genuinely seeks it out or I can sense they would be ok hearing what I have to say.

So, I don't think how I am hinders my ability to have relationships. But, I DO think how I am means I don't often find people I *want* to have deep relationships with; hence I skirt the surface most of the times, only investing in those I really think I'd click with / there'd be mutual growth. That is very rare. And, admittedly, a lot of that falls in my court - I'm the one usually putting up the walls or deciding/sensing it's not going to go anywhere. :shrug:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In cases where I am tremendously close to the person and they are doing something destructive to the relationship and they won't give any insight into why they are doing what they are, I also have a tendancy to review all the possibilities and go with the most likely I can see (I'd prefer real info, but can't stand dealing with all the nebulous possibilities if I don't have it. I need some concrete way to pick an appropriate course of action and way of understanding the situation). I'm very open to being corrected, but of course have found that I'm often wrong about the motivations I think others have because I'm looking at it from what that behaviour would mean if I did it. If there's one thing I've learned from here, it's that the same behaviours may mean wildly different things depending on personality type. Of course no one likes to be analyzed and analyzed incorrectly! At the same time, I would only do that with people I have a lot invested in and in the absence of needful information which they cannot or will not give so I can either move on or know how to work the situation out productively.
I can't agree more strongly, especially with the highlighted. It is why I am so distrustful of the impressions I get from how people behave. I know I cannot interpret their actions through the lens of my own motivations. It is reassuring to know that even Fs experience this concern sometimes.

Sure, you can read people. But if you actually know people, you'll realize that virtually all of them value their mental privacy.

A good friend of mine has the tendency to just blurt out what she 'reads' (which is most problematic in the rare cases that she's wrong). Yeah, people close down when that happens.

When you're first getting to know someone, it's best to ask more questions regarding what you 'read,' lead the conversation based upon your assumptions, and so on, rather than to jump right into it. Otherwise, at its worst, it can come across as a con or a scam.

That is, if you've got a conclusion about someone else or their situation, explore it with them. If your conclusion is right, then you'll more effectively lead them to it; if not, then you'll actually learn something.

Ooh, I relate to this one. I can have strong opinions, but I'll only barge in when it's obvious that the other person wants feedback--to do otherwise seems extremely pushy to me. Even if I think that I'm 'right' based upon what I know, there's always stuff that I don't know.

If someone close to me asks a question, for example, I'll take that as permission to provide honest feedback; I adhere to the philosophy that one shouldn't ask questions that he doesn't actually want the answer to. Sometimes, I say, sardonically, "Permisison to speak freely." and take it from there.
I agree with this as well, and wish more people would exercise the restraint, or perhaps simple courtesy, you describe in your first few paragraphs. I abhor when someone tries to make conclusions about my thoughts, feelings, or motivations. If they are wrong I feel almost insulted; if they are right, I feel intruded upon. Leading with questions is a good approach. If nothing else, it provides an opportunity to shut the whole exercise down if necessary.

I generally follow your last two paragraphs as well, though it is usually my Te-style advice that gets dispensed once requested or permitted. I have found people don't always want this kind of input either.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I think if your insights into people cause them to shut down then you're probably doing it wrong. A bit more insight into people might help with that. ;)

metalmommy

so ready
I would say it makes it more difficult to interact on the surface with small talk.

This is more what I'm talking about. I happen upon something in small talk that I didn't realize was "invading" mental privacy.

Yes, I get that. I'm not trying to invade people's privacy. I generally see something and either comment or ask a question offhand & discover that it was something they didn't want seen. I'm not trying to be right, superior, or bestow my great wisdom upon them. I'm attempting to converse with the person based on information I have available to me.

Yes, this is what I try to do. I know perfectly well that being preached at by someone who "knows" something is not an effective way of teaching them. Sometimes even gently alluding to a topic is enough to bring up the walls.

I have opinions about everything. But I don't share them unless asked. Or unless I've been tacitly given permission to do so.

metalmommy

so ready
I agree with this as well, and wish more people would exercise the restraint, or perhaps simple courtesy, you describe in your first few paragraphs. I abhor when someone tries to make conclusions about my thoughts, feelings, or motivations.

Yes.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I can't agree more strongly, especially with the highlighted. It is why I am so distrustful of the impressions I get from how people behave. I know I cannot interpret their actions through the lens of my own motivations. It is reassuring to know that even Fs experience this concern sometimes.

Oh, I think they do just as often as Ts! It probably is various different functions popping out, depending on the personality type, that get everyone into trouble. For example, my Ni creates a million different possibilities for what could be motivating the person and then a million more different options for how to respond to their behaviour. I NEED to have some way to narrow down the options and so can't just let it be if I don't understand it (which I'm sure is very annoying to the person, particularly if they want to be left alone). Add Fe in there and it's only understanding the deeper reason to give context to their actions that helps me have any understanding or sympathy for what looks like poor behaviour or uncaring to me initially.

Starry

I find that my ability to easily and deeply understand people is often off putting to them. Over my lifetime I've noticed that people don't like it that I can see their mental inner workings. I often don't realize that I've seen something they don't want me to until I've said something in passing and suddenly I'm staring at a wall.

Being an INfJ, it's already difficult for me to find people I can be close to, but it seems like my ability to read others just makes it that much harder. People put up their walls and push me away when they discover I can see, even tho I'm not judging what I see. Seeing alone is enough to put people off.

How do you know the above is occurring? I mean, how do you know that they are 'off-put' because you got it right...and not 'off-put' because you got it wrong?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think this is more of a Ni thing... I can't say I really relate at all. Sometimes I surprise people with my ability to get on others' level so fast, which makes it fairly easy to make friends / get information / obtain permission / help them feel better / etc., but I don't really feel like I have any heightened insight into others' thoughts short of good emotional perception, which is really just about reading body language and tone.

I'll be honest here though, I understand how you can jump too deep too fast - I get like that with my SO every once in a while, I'll dive into things that are very emotionally charged for him without realizing, and he'll throw a wall up - but at the same time, with my ENFJ best friend, I'm kind of off-put sometimes by the way she is always "investigating" everyone... like everyone is always a problem open for her to solve and that she can figure them out. It seems kind of belittling. The way [MENTION=7111]fidelia[/MENTION] explains it as needing to understand so you can decide how to behave in response makes sense... I think sometimes my ENFJ gets a little lost in the "game" of it, though, and loses some empathy in the process (just as I, admittedly, can get lost in the "game" of getting on others' emotional level, and encourage them to place more trust in me than they probably should).

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I often don't realize that I've seen something they don't want me to until I've said something in passing and suddenly I'm staring at a wall.

As an alternate interpretation, if you received this response from me, it would be more likely that you have grossly misread something and presented it as an irrefutable conclusion, and since that kind of egregious error would be disappointing (especially from a fellow NF), I would simply shut you out from being able to glean any further "insights" from the inner realm of emotions. Of course I would still be nice to you, but at a surface level, where you could be relied upon to read things more accurately.

From a polite perspective as well, "readings of the inner world" are generally meant to be kept to oneself.

I realize J's of all varieties sound more sure of the "right answer" out loud than they might feel internally, but the manner of phrasing does allude to a certain "judginess and concludedness" that comes across as too confident -- even inappropriate and distasteful at times. Can even smack of arrogance.

Anyhoo, just offering another way to think of what the "wall" might mean depending on who you are interacting with. :)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
[MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION]

I can see how it could get perceived that way and I guess every type has some general downsides to it. For me, I rarely interact much with people (beyond surface) unless I know what to expect from them in response. Therefore, figuring out what's going on with them helps me know how to engage with them (or if I shouldn't) in an appropriate way.

On the other hand, I can also say that making Ni connections and figuring out the puzzle pieces to get a more complete picture is kind of satisfying. I think it is one of the factors that keeps teaching interesting for me. I'm interested in human systems and why people act/react as they do. I also like sleuthing out who is connected to each other, what interrelations there are between different families, connections to the community and so on.

I suppose for some people that may seem like it is making a game out of what certain people are dealing with, but for me, I feel like empathy on a deep personal level isn't possible or even desired sometimes in those kinds of situations. I have loads of sympathy though and am not afraid of getting my hands dirty helping in whatever way I can if I just have enough information to know what the child/family's needs are.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Just thinking about this more while I eat lunch too ...

It might be worth pointing out that different kinds of observations bring up the wall for different people. I find emotional misreads more offensive than knowledge-based ones. My experience with INFJ's suggests they may find competency misreads more annoying.

Plus, to actually answer the OP, I don't think my insights into people hinder having a relationship with anyone, but I often want the relationship to attain a greater depth than it does in reality (for a myriad of different reasons that are moot to comment on here). I will often open topics of conversation that lead to deeper venues, but few people are interested to go there. Still, I do have some very close friends and for that I am very grateful.

I think that sometimes you sharing your insight might actually have potential to deepen a relationship past the more superficial stages, esp if you are compassionate in sharing and correct when you voice your thoughts. That would be the crux I think. You would have to be right and deliver that at the perfect time and in the perfect way, or else risk the relationship shutting down. So the key would be to have the appropriate filter in place that prevented you from exposing what you think you know until you truly know it (and arguably, who really knows anything, eh?) Plus, possessing the wisdom to know who can handle that truth and who cannot.