User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4 sp
    Socionics
    infp

Default whats the difference between extraverted feeling and introverted feeling?

hey im and infp and im new to mbti and functions . i was wondering what the difference between int feeling and ext feeling. it says on the internet that infp have introverted feeling but what is the difference between them both. my sister is an esfp and she is very reserved about her feelings + keeps them all to herself and i think she has introverted feeling.

im very private and difficult to read but i do (and prefer) to tell a least one person about how i feel + i cry more than my sis when upset however she will just cover it up she will never express openly. for example our dad (who was entp btw) was always quite cruel to us and would keep us locked up in our rooms however me as an infp used to shout and scream and cry and trash my bedroom but my esfp sis used to play with her dollies and pretend that she was happy about it.

i am confused that we both have introverted feeling but we handle our feeling so differently. could someone explain this to me

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

well your sister is probably a type 7.

we can be quite delusional.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    well your sister is probably a type 7.

we can be quite delusional.
    I believe type 7s are imaginative and need to ground their ideas through collaboration. The things that are created when that happens are quite beautiful - the abstract to the concrete.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Lavoie View Post
    hey im and infp and im new to mbti and functions . i was wondering what the difference between int feeling and ext feeling. it says on the internet that infp have introverted feeling but what is the difference between them both. my sister is an esfp and she is very reserved about her feelings + keeps them all to herself and i think she has introverted feeling.

im very private and difficult to read but i do (and prefer) to tell a least one person about how i feel + i cry more than my sis when upset however she will just cover it up she will never express openly. for example our dad (who was entp btw) was always quite cruel to us and would keep us locked up in our rooms however me as an infp used to shout and scream and cry and trash my bedroom but my esfp sis used to play with her dollies and pretend that she was happy about it.

i am confused that we both have introverted feeling but we handle our feeling so differently. could someone explain this to me
    INFPs are Fi-Ne
    ESFPs are Se-Fi

So you do both have introverted feeling. I suspect the differences lie in the rest of your personality: As an INFP you have a fairly keen sense of right and wrong, and I suspect when your dad locked you in your rooms, you felt it was unjustified, and as such railed openly against it. INFPs tend to be fairly easy-going and relaxed until that point that violates their interal compass, and then become as rigid and unyielding as anything. On the other hand, "As a defense mechanism, Artisans (SPs) may respond with denial, insisting that a fact is untrue despite overwhelming evidence." which sounds like what your sister would do. Alternatively, ESFPs are often concerned about 'keeping the peace', so may have felt that if she was 'good', the argument would blow over quicker and everything would go back to normal.

You ask about extraverted feeling as well - but extraverted feeling tends to express itself more in the outward interest and organisation of people. Like in my experience, Fe users are concerned about remembering birthdays, are good at keeping in touch with friends, etc. Fi tends to feel quite a fondness for their friends, but is not as good at keeping in touch or remembering details about them. Fi may not speak to friends for a long time, but when they see them again will retain all the fondness and affection they felt before. Fe tends to get offended at lack of contact.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

First of all, don't get distracted by the word "Feeling" because it's not just about emotions - in this case it refers to subjective reasoning. It is a Judging function (along with Thinking), which means that it's about evaluating, interpreting, and decision making. Whereas, Sensing and Intuition are Perceiving functions, which means they're about observing, experiencing, and information gathering. Each person is made up of a combination of both Perceiving and Judging functions.

Extroverted Feeling (Fe) is subjective reasoning filtered through objective standards. Fe users focus on commonly accepted standards, social norms, and common values; basically, what is best, or works best, overall for the group. It's judging things and making decisions based on an external system. Introverted Feeling (Fi) is subjective reasoning filtered through personal standards. It's focused on personal values that are founded on an inner ideal, and on what is best for the individual on more of a case by case basis. It's judging things and making decisions based on an internal system.

Both functions do have natural characteristics; as you mentioned, Fi is know for being less emotionally expressive. But you have to be aware that the strength of the function (ie. where it comes in your function order), as well as whether that person is an introvert or an extrovert, can affect how obvious those characteristics are to others. Here are the function order for INFPs and ESFPs:

INFP - Fi Ne Si Te
    ESFP - Se Fi Te Ni

ESFPs use Extroverted Sensing (Se) in their dominant position and Fi in their Auxiliary position - this means their Se will influence their behaviour more than their Fi qualities. And because they're extroverts, they tend to be more expressive, outgoing, and energised around other people, so the Fi reserve will be less immediately apparent. Additionally, INFPs don't have Se at all (well in their first 4 functions anyway) and ESFPs don't have Ne, so this can create differences in behaviour too.

ESFPs are known for having rather easy-going, upbeat dispositions; they can be quite good at not letting things get to them and keeping a positive spin on things. INFPs on the other hand are prone to ruminating over things and can be a lot more negative. Where the ESFP looks outwardly to overcome the problem, INFPs look inwardly, and consequently, can end up dwelling on it more.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

ExFPs lead with our Extraverted Perception, so often we're more interested in keeping ourselves engaged with our environments than in our judgment calls. Especially with Extraverted Sensation, it was probably more of a priority for her to create an enjoyable physical environment than to react to the injustice. Once in her room and away from your dad, she was probably happier than outside during the conflict. She probably ruminated on the unfairness too, just more quietly.

And as Lady X pointed out, it's likely that a positive ESFP is a 7. Or maybe even a 9. She might have a defense mechanism of evading or denying problems.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4 sp
    Socionics
    infp

actually i just asked her recently about it and she said that although she did feel it was unfair. she used to feel like crying and screaming was giving him the reaction that he wanted so he could say we were bad out of control kids that deserved punishment. but i also think that temper tantrums are just not the way she deals with things. i don't remember her ever doing that until she became a teenager and was told that she couldn't go out with her friends (that only lasted through her teenage years).

people say im difficult to read like they can't tell if im happy sad or angry is that to do with introverted feeling? does anyone know any websites that explains ext and int intuition and sensing ect because im totally clueless and id really like to know more about myself and how i function.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Well you're in a good place to start.

And my reaction would've been much like your sisters unless of course I felt you needed my protection. I would Stand up and fight for you... But for myself... I would just write him off as an ass who had no clue how to parent and make the best of my situation by pretending I was somewhere else doing something really fun and exciting.

And yeah I think that's a defensive mechanism.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Not much.

Permabanned

Fe= objective feeling.
    Fi= subjective feeling.