123 Last

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    845 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default INFJ: Horrible Perfectionist Tendencies

I've just realized I have some horrible, HORRIBLE unresolved perfectionist tendencies that are keeping me from getting the most out of my life.

I can't focus on writing a paper. I can't muster up the courage to hit on someone I find attractive. Blah blah etc. All because I'm worried about not doing a good enough job.

Why do I worry about not doing a good enough job? Because I feel like my parents and friends will be disappointed in me. And when I feel that others are disappointed in me, I literally feel pain. Like...literal PHYSICAL pain. And I end up just feeling sick, and I just can't survive that way.

But I also can't really survive by rejecting every opportunity that comes my way! I need to figure out a happy medium so that I can do more things with my life than I have been...

Any advice? ._.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

You need a prescription for Fukitol. Take two Fuckitol and just write the paper. Take another two and just talk to the girl. etc., repeat as needed.

MBTI
    INFJ

^LOL - it took me a second to get that!

I'm very similar so I'm not sure I'm the right person to give advice but, because I can relate, maybe I can let you know how I try to deal with it.

Is there anything that you can do consistently to the degree of perfection you desire?

Having one thing that you are happy with makes it not so bad to deal with the failures that will inenvitably arise in other pursuits. Getting that one thing is no mean feat in and of itself but would probably help. Mine happened by accident and is a small thing but I have been complimented a lot on my handwriting. Nobody ever cannot read it and, though it goes sloppier when I'm feeling lazy and I often get an urge to rewrite notes because they're not perfect, by and large I'm happy with my writing. Content is another matter but my perfectionism has got an outlet. I also draw cartoons and can do some things exactly how I want them so when I feel that need for control and pefectionism, I can write something or draw something for a bit and it means that these tendencies don't slip into more important matters where they can have very negative effects.

These worries do come up but I can generally just give something a shot and not worry too much about it being perfect because that side of me will have been satisfied in some other pursuit.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    You need a prescription for Fukitol. Take two Fuckitol and just write the paper. Take another two and just talk to the girl. etc., repeat as needed.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I can't figure out if I'm a perfectionist or not. Certainly not to the extent that some people I know are (both INFJ, and other types.) I do have huge problems with procrastination, though, and I wonder if that is related. It seems like the more important something is, the more I put it off and avoid taking the plunge. Then I get sick with worrying about why it's not done and how I will get it done... "Analysis paralysis" is one of my biggest problems, for sure. Everything seems bigger and worse inside my head than it actually is, or almost everything.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I don't even know how much I would pay for a big bottle of that. Definitely a lot.

Edit:

A few things kind of work for me. Having a greater fear of the consequences of not acting than I do of the possible consequences of acting. Asking myself "What's the worst that can happen?" Usually the answer is not as bad as the nebulous anxiety. And, recently, telling myself that I don't have to panic yet, IOW "There is always time to panic later." Oh, and I try to cut myself the same slack I would anybody else. It's only fair.

I hate disappointing people, too, but I suspect they already know I'm not perfect and will get over it if I screw up, especially if I'm obviously not being careless or malicious.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Ribonuke View Post
    I've just realized I have some horrible, HORRIBLE unresolved perfectionist tendencies that are keeping me from getting the most out of my life.

I can't focus on writing a paper. I can't muster up the courage to hit on someone I find attractive. Blah blah etc. All because I'm worried about not doing a good enough job.
    I understand this is a peripheral issue and not what you asked at all, but you sound more like an INFP to me than an INFJ.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ribonuke View Post

Why do I worry about not doing a good enough job? Because I feel like my parents and friends will be disappointed in me. And when I feel that others are disappointed in me, I literally feel pain. Like...literal PHYSICAL pain. And I end up just feeling sick, and I just can't survive that way.

But I also can't really survive by rejecting every opportunity that comes my way! I need to figure out a happy medium so that I can do more things with my life than I have been...

Any advice? ._.
    I don't know what to say... realize that it's YOUR life and you can embrace it and do what you want with it? That if you disappoint people as a result of following who you are, then perhaps they weren't the types of relationships you ultimately wanted? Or if you don't disappoint, then you realize through the process that perhaps all along you were worrying about things that no one else was going to hold against you if you 'failed' at? So you learn via not being so perfectionist (may have to force it initially, esp. if it's an engrained habit) that there isn't a need to be perfectionist in the first place? That life will go on and you CAN do whatever you wish to in your life that you want to work towards? (within reason of course )

I can't entirely relate... I'm wondering if this is more tied to enneagram? Or something else?
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    845 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Wow, thanks for the comments guys! ^^
    @zelo1954 I had trouble accepting I was an INFJ, so I explored INFP for a while. But it didn't seem to fit and the more I looked at INFJ, the more it made sense. What makes me come across as an INFP, tho? =o
    @cascadeco I think I took my enneagram and it was 4w5 or something, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were more 1w2 or or 2w1