There have been threads on this before but I'm in a relationship with an ENTP and it's a blast! We've been going out for almost 4 months and had been friends for 2 years before that. I've read that this relationship falls flat on its face for a variety of reasons. But I think differently. Here are the most common reasons I've heard:
1. Fi/Fe conflict: We've had this and it is an issue but it absolutely can be overcome. He understands that he can't just Fe-splode at me and I understand that I have to be a bit more expressive with my emotions so he's on the same page as me.
2. Ti/Te conflict: We've never had this problem. About the only related issue we've had is that my love language is words of affirmation and he's having some trouble with that. My other love language is quality time and he shares that one so I don't feel unloved or anything. I do talk more than he does but I love hearing what comes from Ti.
3. Masive burn out: Not going to lie, the honeymoon is over. We've had lots of conflicts and we've argued a fair amount. But we've stuck with it and our relationship is more solid than ever.
4. Both parties are irresponsible: We're irresponsible in opposite ways. He's terrible at planning and time management, I'm not bad at it. I'm terrible at knowing when to buckle down and be serious or get work done, he's pretty good at it. If we split tasks between us, everything will get done and we'll have time for fun, which we both prefer.
5. ENTPs are too cold/ENFPs are too emotional: An unhealthy ENTP will be argumentative and probably will hurt the ENFP. An unhealthy ENFP will be emotionally manipulative and the ENTP will get tired of it. Two healthy people of those types will do neither and as long as communication is a priority, it shouldn't be an issue.
I've got to say, I personally think that it's an iffy match. On one hand, if you find an ENFP or ENTP who shares all your Si-related weaknesses, this is going to crash and burn because nothing will get done. If you're an ENFP who doesn't know how to express your emotions in a logical, straightforward way that the ENTP can understand, the relationship will fall apart. But if you can get past the differences, you can enjoy the Ne/Ne connection and it can be a real blast, the kind of relationship that will last a lifetime.
What are your thoughts?