• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ: Morbidly Dark

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My brother and I were cutting up in the car between the funeral home and our grandma's graveside service. We were both devastated by her loss, but your brain has to have a break from the grief. It's how we stay sane.

Exactly.

Hotherym

MBTI Type
INFU
Not really.

If you laughed while attending your mother's funeral, that implies very little. Not all funerals are sad events, even for loving people. Laughter isn't banished from moments of grief because it's not always inappropriate.

If you laughed BECAUSE your mother was dead, others may deduce that you're either heartless or had no emotional or physical connection to your mother which merely signals you as tactless or gauche.

Many have found it morbid. It was neither relief or ridicule, and I'm sure if my family were full of SJs it would have been seen as horribly tactless. It wasn't toward my mother, with whom I was close, but basically making fun of the actual funeral (I fucking cannot stand funerals, weddings, or any other sort of traditional event, for the most part), how gaudy my cousin's hot pink dress was, and how bad the organ playing was.

While I'm plenty aware of laughter helping to heal the pain, it didn't feel like that was what I was doing, even if it did help. Seriously, the funeral was hilarious, and I find something farcical about open caskets and dead bodies wearing grotesque amounts of make-up. No, it was genuinely just hilarious to me; I'm starting to giggle remembering it.

There's also something amusing about how death is treated through all human cultures, but especially ours.

I don't know if it's related, but I'm going to will my skull to whoever wants it after I die. But that's not really humour-related, I just think it'd be pretty awesome.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The skull thing reminds me of that cool skeleton cleaning service I saw on Dirty Jobs or something.

For my own funeral, I'm determined to be late. I want to be in death as I am in life.

Hotherym

MBTI Type
INFU
The skull thing reminds me of that cool skeleton cleaning service I saw on Dirty Jobs or something.

Good to know--I might have to employ them in the future, 'less the person that gets it wants to do the dirty work. :D

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I wouldn't say my humor is as dark as it gets, but I can sometimes have a morbid sense of humor.

One time I was sitting during a session during training that was teaching us how to respond to residents that we think have an eating disorder. The presenter mentioned that a lot of girls get pregnant and don't gain a pound throughout the entire pregnancy! She said "I don't know how a baby could fit in such skinny girls!" I told her "Like this!" and made myself look like I was pressed up against a glass window. Everyone in the room thought it was hilarious except the "God squad" (coworkers that are very involved in Campus Ministry).

Pigasus

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't typically find humor in others' misfortunes, especially those that I consider "victims of destiny" - people who suffer from situations far beyond their control such as natural disasters. I guess it might be because I tend to strongly sympathize with people in those situations. Darwin awards, on the other hand, I find quite humorous. I draw a clear distinction in real life between what I consider black comedy and what's merely macabre. I can't really explain it I just know it when I see it.

I do, however, love fictional black comedy. I recognize the hypothetical earlier in this thread of the man's trousers falling down when he attempts to hang himself as being taken from the play Waiting for Godot. I'm also a huge fan of the comic Transmetropolitan, Dr. Strangelove, and just about any Coen Brothers movie.

In response to another issue in this thread - I do feel that there's a difference between laughing as a mechanism for coping with grief and other negative emotions and laughing out of callousness and disregard for the gravity of a situation.

Last edited:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i love Dark Humor in a morbid kinda way

are all INFJ's like this?

i know i am a Dark kinda person, yet i find humor when everyone else is so somber

Penso mucho en eso!

Ditto
I can laugh about anything......and often do.
hmm
me and my INTJ friend get along swimmingly in that fashion
although he calls me a " horrible person "

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Me @ open mic night before i start playing

" ........Hi
well, a black guy with a guitar, how original.
.......don't worry, i won't throw up on myself "

I love dark humor

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Me @ open mic night before i start playing

" ........Hi
well, a black guy with a guitar, how original.
.......don't worry, i won't throw up on myself "

I love dark humor
thats not a black joke, by the way
but in a way, it is