User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

Default Do you ever feel like an outsider to emotion?

I know it's an INFP thing to consistently put yourself down, but has it ever happened to a point where, you don't even trust yourself on what you truly feel about things? Like this one time, in one of my advanced English classes, I had my teacher fully put down this narrative which was supposed to be centered on a past 'love'. I chose to write about the last days my grandma was alive, before she died of brain cancer.

I had a strong idea in my head of expressing what I felt and what I still feel, but i couldn't get around to making the paper i wrote, like I couldn't even express myself properly the one way I could only really ever express myself. Just to back myself up, I thought to myself that, "i was the only one who would possibly think that", and told myself it's just part of who I am to second-guess almost everything I did.

I handed it up as it was, and I thought of it as something I put at least some heart into writing, and that I would probably still do as good as I did on the other papers I handed up. Though when she corrected it and announced all its, as she called it "poor" repetitive mistakes, i noticed that that feeling was mutual. I think I got the lowest grade on that paper than any other one that semester, and I got an A for everything else. The others weren't as personal I reckon.

My point is, are there INFPs, who have the problem of not being able to express themselves when it comes to their own personal experiences. I know I can never ever pull off confrontations, to the idealistic one I have floating around in my head. But can this attitude actually extend to how you express your own deep seated emotions? or past experiences?

I mean even this, is a quiet off my radar of how I really feel, or how I would have really wanted to express myself. Like my writing just gets too confusing to understand overall.
    I'm a INFP - The sociopath

I think I'm either a 4w5, 4w3, 6w5 or 9w1. Most possibly 4w5.

Feeling FiNe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

Seriously no one!?!
    I'm a INFP - The sociopath

I think I'm either a 4w5, 4w3, 6w5 or 9w1. Most possibly 4w5.

Feeling FiNe

MBTI
    yupp

sorry i didn't quite get the OP, do you mean feelings being alien to you, or unable to express them? because I have no trouble expressing feelings when I know about them, but sometimes I don't know what i'm feeling like i really have no clue if i'm happy or sad. of course sometimes they get expressed inapproiatley. eh maybe I'm not an INFP
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think there was a threat where an INFP said they could never put feelings to words because it felt fake. I don't really feel the same way. However, I've noticed that when it is expected of me to show emotions, I find it very difficult and awkward.

My INFP bf is the same way as you are. He finds over-expreasiveness tacky. He prefers to keep feelings private
    4w5 sp/sx EII

I can sometimes be quite rational about especially other people's emotions, I watch what is going on with a strange detachment, in that sense I can feel like an outsider when it comes to feeling their emotions. However I am normally quite sure what I am feeling and why, like 21% I am just not very good at showing emotions when it's expected of me, mostly because it feels so fake.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by flameskull95 View Post
    Seriously no one!?!
    Like ESFJs?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I can relate a lot to your story. I have the same problem. It's hard for me to express personal emotional experiences in writing. I think it's because we feel so deeply about the experience that we want to make it feel genuine and completely convey the depth of our emotions. When I try to do this I feel like all the words and expressions I'm using are tacky and fake. I think what would help is to find an emotional passage in a book and note how the author conveys the feelings. We're probably over-thinking how the reader will take our story.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

So your professor correctly noted (via a low grade) that your writing wasn't up to your own standards.
    At least it's not in you head only.
    Is it really the subject matter that created this, or something else? It feels to me that you are a perfectionist, and expect to be able to imagine, and then produce. But here, it sounds like you created a cul-de-sac that prevented free expression.
    Maybe from too high expectation, about writing about this personal subject? I don't know.
    It's an old cliche, but sometimes when you're feeling creative, it's very hard to clear some space and let one idea live well. And it's also hard to make this happen when it feels inhibited (I have been known to have a few drinks to get the flow happening
    I don't really know the answer. I'm just throwing darts out hoping something sticks for you...

I drink your milkshake. Thessaly's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Ethical sociopath..like Dexter?
    With dreamers, pure and simple, the imagination remains a vaguely sketched inner affair. It is not embodied in any aesthetic or practical invention. Reverie is the equivalent of weak desires. Dreamers are the aboulics of the creative imagination.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Definitely. I hate any kind of melodrama in my own emotions, because it feels so contrived and then I overanalyze the emotion until I'm not certain if I feel it anymore or not.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.