User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Question a question about INFJ

i was wondering... INFP follows a set of internal roadmap... do INFJs have this? do they constantly evaluate the world and adjusts their internal roadmap? or are all their visions hunches and they never really consider how or why they have them? why they even believe in them...

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by halfaninstant View Post
    i was wondering... INFP follows a set of internal roadmap... do INFJs have this? do they constantly evaluate the world and adjusts their internal roadmap? or are all their visions hunches and they never really consider how or why they have them? why they even believe in them...
    As I told one of my friends awhile ago, Ni is like sailing a ship through a dark storm with a compass but no map. It tells you what direction you need to go, but you have to predict what perils and obstacles you might encounter on the way.

However, while a map could be wrong, misinterpreted, or out of date, a compass will always point in the right direction. To others it might appear like INFJs are blessed with blind luck but actually INFJs scuttle the ship quite a few times before they learn which instincts to trust and which ones to ignore. But once they master it, they can read the patterns in the currents and avoid the dangers long before they run upon them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Interesting analogy...

I've also heard another one with travel, having to do with trains. Ni offers a train of thought, and you just have to hop on and see where it leads. Some hit a dead end, but if you never get on board, you'll never know.

I may not be INFJ but I have been lead to believe that I have nothing within me -- nothing that I can point to and call my own, as INFPs have. And then what usually happens is I see an abstract-based shiny and I jump on the train again to chase it, forgetting the cause of my existentialist angst in the first place.

Ni goes by what 'feels' right, but not in the concrete sense as Se would. This is why domNis get so obnoxious in debate, because they're not going by something concrete in their heads, they're going on the sense that there has to be 'something' there, and any small chink in the armor of an argument just must be a weakness.

Why even believe these 'hunches'? Why do some people have a preference to thinking about the concrete? Why do salmon swim upstream? Why does Saturn have rings? I guess the only reasonable answer is that people's thought processes cannot be reasonable. I'd just as soon ask how an INFP can possibly presume to have a 'road map' in such a constantly fluctuating world.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm not really sure I understand the question entirely, but I'll try and answer it.

My answer would be No. Due to our Ni we build a "framework" of how we see the world, which is formed from minimal external influence. Unfortunately, when things aren't able to fit into that framework we naturally tend to want to disregard them instead of adapting to them. One of the big differences between INFPs and INFJs would be that one uses Ne while the other uses Ni. This paragraph from http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...j-profile.html should be helpful:

Thus, unlike the Extroverted Intuition that is concerned with collection of all ideas and assesses them based on how such ideas influence the external environment, the Introverted Intuition assesses such hunches based on its internal agenda and is interested strictly in ideas that befit the previously established agenda. Whilst Extroverted Intuition requires continuous stimulation, Introverted Intuition runs on itself. The Extrovert will be forced to engage himself in abstract external activities, such as writing or debating to maintain his world of ideas, yet the Introverted Intuition requires no more than a solitary retreat. The more peaceful the environment, the better, to a greater degree the vivid imagination shall flourish. Thus for an INJ, it would hardly be hyperbolic to claim that the creative energy derives literally from nowhere.
    Basically, the INFJ does not rely on the external environment to form their beliefs. I think it's pretty accurate to say that INJs do not fully "trust" the influence of the external environment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I'd just as soon ask how an INFP can possibly presume to have a 'road map' in such a constantly fluctuating world.
    Precisely.

With the great diversity of perspectives, values, cultures, and environmental influences, it's hard to imagine that there are any absolutes or set paths. I sometimes hear XNFPs argue that their way is the one true path and it floors me because it rejects just how relative this world really is.

It's just so weird since they were raised by a certain family to uphold certain values, in a certain culture, and had certain experiences. And yet they just can't imagine that someone who was raised by a different family to uphold different values, and who grew up in a different culture, and who would have had different experiences, could have different principles and beliefs that have just as much merit as theirs do.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    . I'd just as soon ask how an INFP can possibly presume to have a 'road map' in such a constantly fluctuating world.
    The outside cannot affect me at the core. The moment it ever did, I would be corrupted.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The outside cannot affect me at the core. The moment it ever did, I would be corrupted.
    One point to make with that.

It's the hares whose fur doesn't change with the seasons that get eaten. I think some XNFPs would benefit knowing that a hare doesn't have to stop being a hare to turn white in the winter and brown in the spring. Realizing that the environment is always changing and being able to adapt with it is just as essential as preserving the qualities that make a hare a hare.

(I'm just full of analogies today)

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    One point to make with that.

It's the hares whose fur doesn't change with the seasons that get eaten. I think some XNFPs would benefit knowing that a hare doesn't have to stop being a hare to turn white in the winter and brown in the spring. Realizing that the environment is always changing and being able to adapt with it is just as essential as preserving the qualities that make a hare a hare.

(I'm just full of analogies today)
    A base analogy won't cut it. Sorry, no dice. I am a sentient human being, not an animal.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    A base analogy won't cut it. Sorry, no dice.
    Huh?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Precisely.

With the great diversity of perspectives, values, cultures, and environmental influences, it's hard to imagine that there are any absolutes or set paths. I sometimes hear XNFPs argue that their way is the one true path and it floors me because it rejects just how relative this world really is.

It's just so weird since they were raised by a certain family to uphold certain values, in a certain culture, and had certain experiences. And yet they just can't imagine that someone who was raised by a different family to uphold different values, and who grew up in a different culture, and who would have had different experiences, could have different principles and beliefs that have just as much merit as theirs do.
    I know exactly what you mean. But I also see my ability to recognize the relativity of the worlds as a curse. It's hard to develop beliefs when you are forced to accept that beliefs contrary to yours have just as much merit. It is just so hard to feel confident in them when you can clearly detect the relativity in everything.

(And BTW, I personally thought your hare analogy was good.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social