User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your most common negative emotions / emotional reactions?

Default What are your most common negative emotions / emotional reactions?

Preface: even the most healthy and optimistic people experience negative emotions once in a while. This ain't necessarily about neurotic people--it's about everyone who's ever been on the negative side of the emotional spectrum.. which is, well, everyone.

Nor is this necessarily about looking for advice, though we can certainly open the floor to that, too!

The most common negative emotion I experience seems to be anger, mostly manifesting as irritation or frustration.* It's not severe or chronic by any means, and I usually find ways to quickly defuse it, but it's there.

Causes? Well, sometimes...
    • I'm impatient! I know what I want, and things beyond my control get in the way.
    • It seems as though I have the answer and that same answer should be staring everyone else in the face, too.
    • It seems as though the world doesn't keep up with me.
    • It seems as though some organizational things ought to be done in a different way so that we all better meet our goals (and, if that's impossible, I would like for my goals to be met!!)
    • Control over things is psychologically pleasing but, in some situations, it's impossible.

Blammo; frustration.

Sure, when it comes to negative emotions, I experience some sadness or anxiety once in a while--but this frustration is the thing that crops up most often.

So, how about you? What gets you? Whenever you're down, how does being down express itself for you?

*of course, during my previous bouts with untreated "bipolar lite," my answer would be different.

649 sp/sx

Hatred. Definitely hatred.

It usually starts as annoyance, but it gets there fast.

It's not like, hot, burning, I-want-to-beat-your-face-in hatred. It's like a slow-burning resentment that taints my interactions with certain people. It will make them get on my nerves faster and cause me to act more sarcastic around them. I try to control it, but it's often very difficult to do so. It's part of why I tend to avoid people...

It seems like almost all of my negative emotions start out as whatever they are (Annoyance, depression, disappointment, etc.), and then if there is any way for them to do so, they end up feeding my anger. I don't really understand it though.

For some reason, I actually enjoy most negative emotions... except embarrassment, that one I hate...

4 so/sp

Most common negative emotion?

Hmm... I think boredom/stagnation/getting caught up in the repetitiveness/cycles of many aspects of life can be a starting point for more negative emotions. When I spiral downwards, it usually results in general sadness/apathy/existential sort of issues and questions. Analysis loops.

The one element that has ceased to be a significant component of negative emotions is self-judgment/beating myself up. I used to be much more harsh on myself, and would sit in that self-critique/bashing place for a while. I've learned to let go of that component a lot more. It still happens, but I don't let it go the extent that I used to... I just let go of it and accept myself more easily.

**Also, I can be irritable at quite a few things. But, I don't classify that in the same way as the above, as it's much more incident-related and can quickly pass...

***Also forgot about general social anxiety, which can come and go.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

7w6 sx/so
    ENFp None

Sadness/Melancholy > Shame > Anger
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

I often experience anger, either at myself or others.

But I prefer anger to my normal state which is one of a person right on the brink of a great hole....full of anxious tension; always just about to tip over.

So basically it's just a nice switch between those two.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

4w5 sp/sx

Apathy, usually it's employed as a weapon to banish self-loathing, which is worse.

5w4 sp/sx

Fear and anxiety.

Fear that I might not be good enough, that I might fail at a specific task or - more often - at life in general. Fear that I might soon die poor and lonely under a bridge.

Being a freelancer with no financial security probably doesn't help here.

Aggression or hatred has never been an issue, on the contrary, I have been told by a professional that I should grow some balls and become a bit more bitchy at times ...for my own good.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

From the Undertow Array CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx

Melancholy, anger, frustration, sadness/ loneliness, fear, anxiety.

Tendency to spiral into a negative thought loop, where I fear the absolute worst outcome, to the point it consumes me into blackness, a deep emotional abyss. Then there's the anger/frustration involved, where I feel like I want to throw something, get reckless. Temperamental moments at best.

Life as an e-4.... happy happy joy joy.

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

5w4 so/sx

I wouldn't have bothered answering in this thread because I'm an NT type, but its curious how much I align with the OP. By far frustration is my most common negative emotion. I feel it because I'm out of patience with....

People not being grown up enough to be self directed. I am constantly having to prompt other people to do the things they know they need to do. Just get in with it already, don't wait for a personal invitation from me.

Things would be so much easier if we did why the hell are we doing that? And wtf does it take a committee and 6 months to just to decide this would be a better way?

To me, the answers often seem simple but this whole death by committee thing keeps everyone in a perpetual loop of ineffectiveness. Someone just make a freakin decision please!