• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP's, what do you think of your personality?

Jogi

MBTI Type
INFP
I love the posts in here. I can relate to all of them.

I don't even know where to start with this one. I feel like my mind is an ever flowing river, constantly pulled this way and that by abstract manifestations of the world around me, never really settling on something but rather either constantly tumbling down a rocky hill or soaring into the clouds to see everything around me, in sequence. I had a dream the other night that I pulled my eyeballs from my sockets and held them in my hands, looking at them. I stared at them in curiosity before realizing with a shock that I should not be seeing anything at all. At that moment (in the dream), I realized that through my entire life my eyes had never actually worked, and everything I had ever seen was merely a creation of my own mind. To me that represented the intense SELF that I have, the swirling, tumbling mess of feelings, worries, pleasure, fear, insights and all of that which has loosely stitched itself into a sort of ball that likes to call itself 'me'. I can be at once endlessly determined and strong yet be dropped like a fly by a passing thought of my own creation. In some ways I am about as stable as a bowling ball balanced on a cue stick yet in others I sit as solidly as the ocean on the floor of the earth, which may be constantly flowing but never really changes its form or loses it's sparkle, and is filled with countless amounts of life and endless expanses, and is all at once massive and incredible yet fragile and easily damaged, and people like to drive their boats all over it, and though there may be frozen looking pieces at the poles it's still only superficial. ;)

Oh, and I'm constantly sad that one day I will die and any work I put into this transient collection of electricity which forms a home in the fleshy tissue of my brain will be discharged and it's constituent parts will float away into the universe and lose all shape and form which it once had.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Before I found out that there is actually a personality type that fits me, I was sure I was just weird. But even then, when I doubted a lot about my own being, I thought that if there was a way to change my past, would I do it? No. Even when I could see the big picture and all the mistakes I had made, I would not change my past, for I like the way I turned out and I couldn't know if my mistakes have played a part in making me the way I am.

Another reason to like myself is the fact that most of the people don't concentrate on the issues that matter. They worry about the little things, and the big things get catastrophic. Then they wonder why they are being punished like that... :doh:

Thing that makes it hard for me to like myself is the really big picture that I am forced to see. I see the impossible equation that is turning the world into a very bad place, I understand why they are not even trying to solve the problem, and I basically know how it could be done. It feels like being kept down while someone is drowning three feet away from you.

Complex, abstract, emotional pain is not easy to resolve, and that can often be the world of the iNtuitive Feeler. Such pain is not subject to the external measurement of logic or anything concrete and observable. It is internalized perceptions of the external world and its meaning. When it is distorted by a subjective lens it can burn the soul. Becoming trapped by it is like fighting an assailant you cannot see.

I have found that only effective way for me to stop the existential anxiety is to think up a way to turn the emotions into a logical puzzle and then figure out a single line that compresses the whole picture. Then I just follow the rule that I have made from the line and that is logically valid for me. For example, I beat my low self esteem by collecting all the data about what I am good (and bad) at, then make it a single line: "I am as good as the next guy, or better" After this I just go into all the new situations with this mantra. Works like a charm, but I have to make the thinking process first, acknowledging all the angles, and accepting the possibility for a negative outcome.

I think it can lead to a different sense of masculinity, too, the one based on strong passion for everything and turning it into action and incredible strength (mental, not physical). As Pink said in one of the threads in the Relationships section, many INFP males are both tough as nails and extremely emotionally sensitive, and I think this is the kind of masculinity that occurs in INFP's and other NF men.

To make a long story short, rather than being rational, direct, assertive, action oriented, and emotionally detachted male stereotype (which is generally ESTJ, ESTP, or ENTJ or some kind of hybrid), INFP men use their emotions and values to become strong and passionate, highly motivated and uncompromising with the strong will to make a lot happen that they find important and the will and need to protect and help people in need.

But I'm not really old enough to truely be a "man" yet, so maybe I'm way off

Sounds right to me. Male-INFP, myself. The way I see my strength is that I know myself so well that I also know that it is impossible for anyone to make me crack. You guys read Tao Te Ching? It describes the strength of water (or the strength of Tao) very much the same way as I see my own strength. I am very vulnerable because I am open to everything, but this has made me strong because I know my weak spots better than the average people. They have all kinds of blocks and walls in their minds that hide something. And when those walls are broken, these people will go insane. I know this will not happen to me, so I don't have to control myself so much. Also, I know that with my intuition and knowledge about the emotional world, it would be possible for me to hit someone very hard with my words. Obviously it would mean that the one to be hit had to be somebody EVIL because I could not hurt anybody if I wasn't sure they deserve it.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't much notice my identity as an INFP. So I guess it's just right.

Endolori

MBTI Type
INFP
I actually really hate the passive thing quite a lot. I had this experience with a friend who commented callously once "don't compare me with her." and me being a male it's kinda demeaning, but i just kept my silence and withdrew and another friend who observed it all said to me "don't you have balls? why didn't you retort or something." Then it all added on to the hurt of the first comment and well I can't really explain it, but the upshot of it was that I didn't like how I would freeze up in conflicts and not be able to do anything except withdraw and hide.

The worst part of it all was that I somehow convinced myself that the friend was just joking (and he was, although it still hurt) so he didn't know what he was saying, and that kinda meant he didn't mean it so it was okay somehow. I just think that if sometimes I can't see the good in everything/one so often I'd be able to stand up for myself instead of empathizing with my detractor and disparaging myself all the more. :BangHead:

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I used to exhibit this passive behavior before. I just wasn't able to defend myself.

Then I got bullied at school.

It wasn't anything small or childish. Sometimes I had bruises.

That kind of hardened my skin, because afterwards I decided that I will never again let anyone treat me like that.

Nowadays I defend myself instantly in a very extroverted, noisy way (ESTJ shadow in action, possibly?). This has caused certain people to avoid me :D But, yes, I'm definitely no more the former wimp that anyone could rub his feet on.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i also hate being passive. I've never really been able to stand up for myself, and there have been many times when i should have.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I feel like INFPs are kind of my kindred spirits in some ways. We can have lots of fun being completely random. The main difference is y'all look where you're going. ;)

Abhaya

MBTI Type
INFP
It is what I have got to work with so I better like it :) I will say that it is nice to be alone and comfortable. Not like some of my extroverted friends that always have to have someone around.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being an INFP male is much like a process.
A process of turning lemons into lemonade.

With your skin off.

LMAO
damn NF's

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Ahh, whatever, INFP's are neat. Sometimes I get frustrated with them for the whole passive deal, but I choose my battles and friends well. I almost always get along with these types.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
We'll kick all y'alls other types' asses!

In a parallel universe. Maybe.

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Complex, abstract, emotional pain is not easy to resolve, and that can often be the world of the iNtuitive Feeler. Such pain is not subject to the external measurement of logic or anything concrete and observable. It is internalized perceptions of the external world and its meaning. When it is distorted by a subjective lens it can burn the soul. Becoming trapped by it is like fighting an assailant you cannot see.

Wow, I just had to say that is exceedingly well put.

I like being an INFJ because I think I have a pretty cool capacity for experiencing and sometimes expressing fine nuances of emotion and feeling, I can daydream endlessly, and I can get a LOT of pleasure out of literature, beauty, and really anything artistic. I relate to people pretty well.

On the downside, I wish I was more confident and capable when it comes to practical, external things and not so caught up in my own world and feeling like I will always need to keep a supply of concerned SJs around to take care of me. heh, I'm only mostly joking!

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I kind of wish I was more outgoing, and not letting my feelings build up inside, until I burst inwardly, but I'm pretty proud of everything else, except being disorganized, and parents nagging and what not...

katerp

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think most INFPs have a love/hate relationship with themselves.

I love that my introversion doesn't make me dependent on other people for happiness and overall emotional well-being. I love that I can have the best time in the world sitting my room just listening music and thinking. I hate that my preference is so far to the introverted extreme of the scale that a lot of the time I can't even stand to be around people, which can make things very difficult in this overcrowded, predominantly extroverted world of ours.

I love that my intuition allows me to see things in a unique way and discover connections that not everyone does. I hate that the vast majority of these musings serve no practical purpose and are therefore deemed unimportant by most people anyway.

I love some of the good things that come with spontaneity, but I hate that for the life of me I cannot make a decision because I can't help but continually go back and forth mulling over every option about a million times in my head, so I never get anything done. I hate that because I'm so focused on my uncertain future I sometimes find myself unable to enjoy my present.

I love that that I have the ability to feel things so deeply. I am amazed by the most insignificant little things sometimes. It just brings a sense of wonder into my life. It also makes the important feelings all the more meaningful. It gives me the ability to feel out the emotional needs of others, which is an important aspect of how I relate to people. I hate that I'm forced to feel everything so deeply. Something that wouldn't even register with someone else could knock me on my ass. I'm hypersensitive to criticism, true or falsely perceived. I feel like I have to try to please everyone, which leaves little energy left for myself. I love that my empathy sometimes moves me to help others, but I hate that when I can't help I'm just stuck with negative emotions. I hate that because it's such a hard fall from being happy to unhappy, and because happiness seems to be a fleeting thing, I feel more comfortable in the realm of negative emotions. I hate that even though I know a lot of these feelings are irrational, I can't think them away.

Most importantly of all, I love that being an INFP gives me a sense of idealism that makes me search for meaning in everything and drives me to want to do great things. I hate that my idealism does not fit into the real world, which has been very difficult for me and it's a problem I'm not sure I will ever resolve.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP

I should point out that the quoted post (which I can't seem to edit) was originally effusive and drunken praise for Noel's concise offering. The effusiveness of which prompted a brutal edit with the arrival of sobriety.

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
I think most INFPs have a love/hate relationship with themselves.

I love that my introversion doesn't make me dependent on other people for happiness and overall emotional well-being. I love that I can have the best time in the world sitting my room just listening music and thinking. I hate that my preference is so far to the introverted extreme of the scale that a lot of the time I can't even stand to be around people, which can make things very difficult in this overcrowded, predominantly extroverted world of ours.

I love that my intuition allows me to see things in a unique way and discover connections that not everyone does. I hate that the vast majority of these musings serve no practical purpose and are therefore deemed unimportant by most people anyway.

I love some of the good things that come with spontaneity, but I hate that for the life of me I cannot make a decision because I can't help but continually go back and forth mulling over every option about a million times in my head, so I never get anything done. I hate that because I'm so focused on my uncertain future I sometimes find myself unable to enjoy my present.

I love that that I have the ability to feel things so deeply. I am amazed by the most insignificant little things sometimes. It just brings a sense of wonder into my life. It also makes the important feelings all the more meaningful. It gives me the ability to feel out the emotional needs of others, which is an important aspect of how I relate to people. I hate that I'm forced to feel everything so deeply. Something that wouldn't even register with someone else could knock me on my ass. I'm hypersensitive to criticism, true or falsely perceived. I feel like I have to try to please everyone, which leaves little energy left for myself. I love that my empathy sometimes moves me to help others, but I hate that when I can't help I'm just stuck with negative emotions. I hate that because it's such a hard fall from being happy to unhappy, and because happiness seems to be a fleeting thing, I feel more comfortable in the realm of negative emotions. I hate that even though I know a lot of these feelings are irrational, I can't think them away.

Most importantly of all, I love that being an INFP gives me a sense of idealism that makes me search for meaning in everything and drives me to want to do great things. I hate that my idealism does not fit into the real world, which has been very difficult for me and it's a problem I'm not sure I will ever resolve.

perfectly what you've been saying, and i do feel the SAME things with what you've just said! :)
I used to think that i was all ALONE here in this damn-"get going" world.. but thanks god i've found this thing called MBTI. to find a similar like-minded INFPs, is really like finding my own brother or sister! :)

snowflurri

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, being an INFp I can sometimes get carried away and become quite unrealistic.

So then I get disappointed because what I thought would happen did not reach my expectations.

Being indecisive is also soemthing I face. I usually have an idea of what I want but when all the choices are thrown in my face I jsut HAVE to look at everything and try to picture myself with it and in the end it leads to me procrastinating.

snowflurri

MBTI Type
INFP
perfectly what you've been saying, and i do feel the SAME things with what you've just said! :)
I used to think that i was all ALONE here in this damn-"get going" world.. but thanks god i've found this thing called MBTI. to find a similar like-minded INFPs, is really like finding my own brother or sister! :)

exactly!

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
We are the Yin in Balance, but that also means we are what we choose our path to be, not what others tell us the path is. We have no limits on anything, and only we determine who we are, nothing else. I have trouble not always fitting in, but I get to help others fit in which is fine with me. We might not be helping people adjust to reality, but we help them forget problems, start new ideas, and think outside the boxes of life. We are not blind chaos and destruction, but reincarnation. To bring apart so a new form can be created in the hope that it will be better than the last. We are evolution, and makes me feel privelidged to be a part of. To find others like me is like finding a reason to keep being myself without judgement.