• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP's with other types

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
so, i know the ideal type for ENFP's theoretically is ISTP, but i was wondering if ENFP's were good at adapting themselves to relationships with people outside that. i know i get along well with INFJ's, two of my best friends are INFJ's, but it seems that in terms of relationships i never seem to encounter these two types often enough.

however, i tend to meet girls of other types, and right now i'm talking to an ENTP that i'm fairly interested in but i am a bit concerned because we're both extroverted types and that's a lot of energy. sometimes i'm up a little later than i want cause she doesn't want to get off the phone.

i guess what i'm trying to ask is if the ENFP's ability to adapt situations is effective enough to carry relationships with different personality types that may not be the ideal? i try to make relationships work because it forces me to step up and try to balance myself out, cause i understand an ENFP that's not properly developed or has gone wrong won't be able to stick to his commitments.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
When it comes to relationships, try to leave personality theory out of it. Depending on the theory you read, ISTP, ISTJ, INTJ, and INFJ are all the ENFP's "ideal" mate. At the same time, I know a happily married ENFP + ESTJ. I also know of a happily married ENFP + ISTP. Therefore, screw relationship theory and date the person you're most compatible with.

As for your last paragraph, I sense the potential of you getting in a lame relationship and not leaving it because leaving = failure on your part to stick to anything, or failure to adapt. DON'T DO IT! More precisely, don't fall into the trap of staying in a relationship too long and pouring too much effort into it only to end in despair. Go with whom you're compatible, and have the wisdom to end it when your head (not your heart) tells you to.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Where'd you hear that ISTPs were our ideal match? I've read that INTJs and to a certain extent ISTJs, too, are supposed to be ideal...

Anyway, my actual point is, don't for a minute decide to not pursue a relationship based on MBTI type. Happiness, in the end, has very little to do with type and a lot to do with maturity, etc. So please, please don't avoid something that's less than ideal when on paper!

As far as specific types, my female ENTP friend is an absolute blast - she and I get along brilliantly. I think there's an explosive chemistry between those two types, whether in friendships or relationships. It may tend to burn out a little quicker in an intense relationship, but hell, I'd say it's pretty worth it!

If only I knew an available ENTP male! :D

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
Where'd you hear that ISTPs were our ideal match? I've read that INTJs and to a certain extent ISTJs, too, are supposed to be ideal...

Anyway, my actual point is, don't for a minute decide to not pursue a relationship based on MBTI type. Happiness, in the end, has very little to do with type and a lot to do with maturity, etc. So please, please don't avoid something that's less than ideal when on paper!

As far as specific types, my female ENTP friend is an absolute blast - she and I get along brilliantly. I think there's an explosive chemistry between those two types, whether in friendships or relationships. It may tend to burn out a little quicker in an intense relationship, but hell, I'd say it's pretty worth it!

the ISTP is socionics theory more than MBTI.

also, how do you get the stats that are on your signature?

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
personally I find ISTPs to be extremely dry and boreing, INTJs on the other hand I get along with exceptionally. Ive never once had a problem or reason to not want to be in the company of an INTJs. And ISTJs are so opposite their endlessly amuseing, until we come to a point when we both have an opposeing oponion on a matter and refuse to give it up, then it becomes very easy to blow up at one or the other.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

It's not just you. ENTPs are simply explosive with everything and everyone. Their humour isn't phlegmatic, it's nitroglycerin.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
i get along great with enfps... and im pretty much more infj than enfj.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
the ISTP is socionics theory more than MBTI.

also, how do you get the stats that are on your signature?

Ah, I see. Be careful with that, though. I think a socionics ISTP is a different type than an MBTI ISTP?

The stats in my signature were taken from the button you can get at this place, because I couldn't be bothered reformatting it. It's not entirely accurate, obviously, but I feel it represents how strong I am in each dichotomy fairly well. :)

personally I find ISTPs to be extremely dry and boreing, INTJs on the other hand I get along with exceptionally. Ive never once had a problem or reason to not want to be in the company of an INTJs. And ISTJs are so opposite their endlessly amuseing, until we come to a point when we both have an opposeing oponion on a matter and refuse to give it up, then it becomes very easy to blow up at one or the other.

I do too, which is why I wondered at the choice of ISTP as best choice for us. I'm not 100% sure I know any INTJs, but I think I am friends with more ISTJs than any other type. :)

Gen

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm about to marry an ENFP and he is the greatest! (I'm pretty sure he thinks the same about me.)

And from what I hear, ENFP's and ENTP's get along great too. Meh.

sketcheasy

MBTI Type
ENFP
also, my best friend is an INFJ and very much so. we met earlier this year as college freshmen while i was going through a very rough point and i let my gaurd down and was very open with him. we were talking about girls. after that, we got a long perfectly and always hang out to the point where people would joke we were gay for each other LMAO XD. actually, a couple people actually thought HE was but nobody got that vibe from me.

anyway, being my mirror type we had lots of similarities, quirks, so on and so forth and we got along great. i guess we fed off each other's energy and we were both looking for someone we could be real with because we were having trouble finding anybody else. anyway, long story short, the past several weeks i've found myself drifting away from him and all our group of friends, not cause i don't care about him or them any less, but because i feel like i've given him all i have to offer. he gets along with his roommate way better than before, he has a girlfriend (which took months of indecision on his part) so i feel like there's really not much of a need for me any more. also, sticking around that group of people, i feel bored and kinda trapped. i've met a lot of new people this quarter and have done things i normally wouldn't have done with him/them, so i don't feel too alone (i have been acting introverted).

anyway, it's not like i'm physically gone. me, him, and my other good friend are getting an apartment together but i feel like my spirited has drifted away and i know he's noticed it. i don't really know how to approach him and tell him he's still my bro even though i've been drifting off like the wind lately. i just need to be free and unbowed, totally independent but i don't want to completely cut off the person i consider most as a brother.

Cality

MBTI Type
ENFP
When it comes to relationships, try to leave personality theory out of it. Depending on the theory you read, ISTP, ISTJ, INTJ, and INFJ are all the ENFP's "ideal" mate. At the same time, I know a happily married ENFP + ESTJ. I also know of a happily married ENFP + ISTP. Therefore, screw relationship theory and date the person you're most compatible with.

Part of the pbl is that MBTI is a static personality theory, unlike big 5 or anything like this. You can be highly compatible with someone on big5 you are not with MBTI.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP

As for your last paragraph, I sense the potential of you getting in a lame relationship and not leaving it because leaving = failure on your part to stick to anything, or failure to adapt. DON'T DO IT! More precisely, don't fall into the trap of staying in a relationship too long and pouring too much effort into it only to end in despair. Go with whom you're compatible, and have the wisdom to end it when your head (not your heart) tells you to.

Proof is in the pudding. Just look at people who have had little if any exposure to MBTI. Often people end up with either their ideal type of close it it. My roomate is an ENFP, his girlfriend is an ISTJ. I know two INTPs who married ENFJs. I know one ESFJ who married and INTP. All of the women I've had mutual chemistry with have been ENFJs.

Some types will be compatible with more than others.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yeah, I definitely can relate to what you're saying about adapting to other personality types (often to my own detriment). I think it's not so much that they are not for me, but that I am not for them. I am willing to be flexible a lot in terms of "what I want," I think, but they aren't. I think this is mostly because I am able to see qualities in them that I can really idealize and appreciate, whereas often (mostly the S types) have a hard time appreciating what I like most about myself. So, while I might be like YAY we can make this work! The other refuses to, which in the end, is probably better for both of us -- and I am only able to realize this once my idealism has settled.

Ok, after I wrote the above paragraph I realized that what I am saying is not that relevant to what you are asking... hahaha.

Yes, I think it is possible if both parties are willing to adapt to each other and are well, mature enough to do so.... regardless of personalities.

PS. I love ENTPs. They are great!

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
I had an ISTJ boss once who drove me nuts. Petty criticism all the time. As Rachelinpa says, "...whereas often (mostly the S types) have a hard time appreciating what I like most about myself." This was so true in this case! I could still see good points in her - stability, good concentration skills, consistency. She couldn't see the (probably opposing) qualities in me that could also be regarded as good qualities. I'm creative, flexible, spontaneous, optimistic, enthusiastic, like to try things in a different way...

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I'd go with a relationship that helps you to become a better YOU, one that nurtures you rather than suppresses your natural abilities, talents, skills and charm. In my experiences, to force a relationship to work out was like pulling teeth, literally. Compromise is one thing, but to compromise oursleves as a 'person,' that's a whole different story.

Prior to finding out about the MBTI, I dated/remained friends with another ENFP for about close to a decade. It had to end eventually. After that relationship, I dated an INTJ, ISTP. Once I found out about MBTI, it made PERFECT sense for me as to why the relationships with the INTJ/ISTP killed me ever so slowly. Instead of helping me to grow as a person, I felt hindered/constantly confronted. Most times, I felt like I was being controlled, told what to do, told what not to do. I HATE that.

My thoughts on dating other types, sure why not? Each person is different. My philosophy is as long as we both click, both can just be ourselves, the bond (intellectually, emotionally, physically) is there, and I know I can count on them, for sure, the relationship has fair chance. After dating an ENFJ after the other relationships, it just reconfirmed that a relationship with another ENFX suits me best, especially because our values tend to be in sync as well. Values are important, too.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd go with a relationship that helps you to become a better YOU, one that nurtures you rather than suppresses your natural abilities, talents, skills and charm. In my experiences, to force a relationship to work out was like pulling teeth, literally. Compromise is one thing, but to compromise oursleves as a 'person,' that's a whole different story.

Prior to finding out about the MBTI, I dated/remained friends with another ENFP for about close to a decade. It had to end eventually. After that relationship, I dated an INTJ, ISTP. Once I found out about MBTI, it made PERFECT sense for me as to why the relationships with the INTJ/ISTP killed me ever so slowly. Instead of helping me to grow as a person, I felt hindered/constantly confronted. Most times, I felt like I was being controlled, told what to do, told what not to do. I HATE that.

My thoughts on dating other types, sure why not? Each person is different. My philosophy is as long as we both click, both can just be ourselves, the bond (intellectually, emotionally, physically) is there, and I know I can count on them, for sure, the relationship has fair chance. After dating an ENFJ after the other relationships, it just reconfirmed that a relationship with another ENFX suits me best, especially because our values tend to be in sync as well. Values are important, too.

Ok, exactly HOW did an INTJ kill you????? INTJ and ENFP, used by Keirsey, is the primary match. The question was, were both you AND the INTJ well developed and mature(required for any relationship)? I mean go google INTJ ENFP relationships, it is one of the most discussed subjects in MBTI I've seen. I think it's controversial is why with the Ni+Ne results over time:devil:

After reading the ENFx part, true everyone is different, but again, I am wondering if you had a bad INTJ (or not a true INTJ), and/or you weren't ready for one either, because what you were looking for, as stated, is very commonly found in healthy INTJ/ENFP relationships.