From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Default The Infamous Ni-Ti Loop of INFJ

Any of the rest of you INFJs, after an intensely emotionally stressful moment in your life feel drained afterwards and you feel emotionally drained to the point that you have difficulty talking with other people? The classic case of mute withdrawal, being lost inside your head as a method to decompress from the stress?

I notice this happens to me often, and I end up getting quiet even with those that I am close to. I end up feeling bad that I am not giving enough of myself to others as a result. Typically this happens after analyzing a situation and coming down to a conclusion and having to adjust my conclusions based on new data. It ends up exhausting my mind, and my Fe resources end up running low as a result.

Anybody else experience this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I don't think that this is a Ni-Ti loop so much as an expression of your introversion and the need to "re-charge" away from other people. The fact that you are aware of your social reclusiveness suggests that you are not in a dom-tert loop. A genuinely dysfunctional individual would not recognize that something is missing in his life.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by amazingdatagirl View Post
    I don't think that this is a Ni-Ti loop so much as an expression of your introversion and the need to "re-charge" away from other people. The fact that you are aware of your social reclusiveness suggests that you are not in a dom-tert loop. A genuinely dysfunctional individual would not recognize that something is missing in his life.
    You make a valid point that technically what I am describing is more indicative of introversion. I find that I often experience these withdrawal moments after going through dom-tert loops when Fe is under stress.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

I can understand what you mean. I think as an INFP who is extremely shy at times, and so concerned with what other people think, I can relate to what you're saying.
    I don't think it's a dysfunctional thing, more of a survivalist domtert mentality/attitude resulting from being overwhelmed by the world, and as a 4w5, I can relate to that as well.

Except as an INFP, my domtert is Fi-Si which means that I hold onto intense feelings of the past through a negative detailed view of reality in the past. And through this domtert, I became even more likely to shut off a certain individual or person who exhibited certain features, and maybe even had predisposed hateful thoughts toward them because they acted like a negative character from my past. Oddly enough, one thing that cured me of negative past thoughts was to listen to music and apply it to my own past. It worked and developed my auxiliary Ne for some weird reason. I think it was because whenever I listened to music, I would always use my imagination to dream up false fantasies regarding myself that concerned other people expectations of how other people expected me to act, - like by imagining a situation where I was singing in front of people in a high school, that I was glad to have transferred from. i was clearly keeping these fantasies so i could keep my hopes up as to one day letting the negative people from the past know who i truly am. I'm theorizing that even though I viewed this as a gateway from the harshness of reality, a constant repeating dependency on negatively stimulated thoughts concerning other people's expectations (especially people from my past) actually let the domtert attitude flourish (as it connected old feelings and old memories - FiSi)

I'm not saying do the same thing, but maybe there is something that is driving the mentality that is making you feel negative now. And judging by my own experience, maybe it's related to some area of your life you find comfort in, or some area of your life that your mind goes to to get away from reality. What my mind did was lessen other people's expectations, to accumulate false fulfillment over fantasized realities which where actually connecting up negative views of the past and hence, a negative loop. What I'm saying is not easy and my viewpoint could be very subjective, but give it a try, because as a 4w5 I think I can majorly connect with this issue you're having.

And btw, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way you feel/think as much as you think it out to be, it's all probably due to the introverted lens you are taking. Like I heard another person on this typeC say, introverts think reality is a reflection of themselves. The truth is that is exactly what makes them clear introverts. the thing is, most people consider that contemplation a strength, mainly because they can't allow themselves to think like you do, it's just the fact that you haven't been in their shoes to realize that fully. We're all a part of society whether we like it or not, and I think introverts like you and me have a unfair advantage because we can accumulate a perception of reality without even having to fully pay attention and gain energy from outside occurrences like an extrovert does. We have s major drive, and we don't even realize that.

Sorry if the iPad screwed some words over aha. hopefully it didn't get in the way of my pointless rambling.
    I'm a INFP - The sociopath

I think I'm either a 4w5, 4w3, 6w5 or 9w1. Most possibly 4w5.

Feeling FiNe

Sniffles

I agree that what you're describing is more about the need for Introverts to recharge after being overloaded somehow, but I can still very much relate to that kind of situation. Ni-Ti loops would be more about endlessly analyzing the situation or a concept, both in healthy and non-healthy ways. In my experience, Ni-Ti loops do exhaust me considerably and I often need to withdraw and "recharge" as a result of such. So maybe that's what you were referring to.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I agree that what you're describing is more about the need for Introverts to recharge after being overloaded somehow, but I can still very much relate to that kind of situation. Ni-Ti loops would be more about endlessly analyzing the situation or a concept, both in healthy and non-healthy ways. In my experience, Ni-Ti loops do exhaust me considerably and I often need to withdraw and "recharge" as a result of such. So maybe that's what you were referring to.
    How do you break the loop so that you can withdraw? If it's something really emotionally distressing to me, I can get stuck in one for months. With very little letup. Literally. Not nice.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    How do you break the loop so that you can withdraw? If it's something really emotionally distressing to me, I can get stuck in one for months. With very little letup. Literally. Not nice.
    Usually what helps me is often getting my mind focused on something else, something more external like some subject(physics, history, etc.) that deeply interests you. Also helping others with issues plaguing them helps too, since now you're focused on somebody and you gain the comfort you're not alone in dealing with troubling issues.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I honestly think that concentrating on our enneagram types is a much more reliable way of breaking negative loops.i think what we value has more to do with the way we react to stress than our
    mbti. As a 6w5, is there some mentality or something in your life that leads you to distrust others, that you lean back on from time to time to comfort yourself in one way or the other?

I think judging from my experiences, that may be what deludes you away from a healthier perspective of being loyal to others and being a happier person more often.
    I'm a INFP - The sociopath

I think I'm either a 4w5, 4w3, 6w5 or 9w1. Most possibly 4w5.

Feeling FiNe

Glycerine

This might be the slight extrovert preference in me but my stress reaction comes in three parts, is to detach (Ni-Ti at little to moderate levels), crave external stimulation like crazy (Fe-Se at moderate to high), detach again (Ni-Ti at high). Ni-Ti loop can be exhausting because I start to nitpick and overanalyze things that are stressing me out.

I find that it's more a function of my stress as opposed to a cause of the stress. I usually usually withdraw to engage my Ni-Ti loop. Then I analyze all my guts until I've boiled down my stress into something tangible that I can clearly understand & articulate.

I have been known to engage Fe-Se when under prolonged periods of moderate+ stress. More Se, honestly. Usually i'm too worn to engage Fe, so I'll indulge myself in sensual comforts...good food, a really nice drink, treating myself to something nice, etc. This way I can distract myself from the stress, feel something good, and not have to engage others (thus allowing my introverted self to recharge a bit).