• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] The Infamous Ni-Ti Loop of INFJ

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any of the rest of you INFJs, after an intensely emotionally stressful moment in your life feel drained afterwards and you feel emotionally drained to the point that you have difficulty talking with other people? The classic case of mute withdrawal, being lost inside your head as a method to decompress from the stress?

I notice this happens to me often, and I end up getting quiet even with those that I am close to. I end up feeling bad that I am not giving enough of myself to others as a result. Typically this happens after analyzing a situation and coming down to a conclusion and having to adjust my conclusions based on new data. It ends up exhausting my mind, and my Fe resources end up running low as a result.

Anybody else experience this?

amazingdatagirl

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't think that this is a Ni-Ti loop so much as an expression of your introversion and the need to "re-charge" away from other people. The fact that you are aware of your social reclusiveness suggests that you are not in a dom-tert loop. A genuinely dysfunctional individual would not recognize that something is missing in his life.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think that this is a Ni-Ti loop so much as an expression of your introversion and the need to "re-charge" away from other people. The fact that you are aware of your social reclusiveness suggests that you are not in a dom-tert loop. A genuinely dysfunctional individual would not recognize that something is missing in his life.

You make a valid point that technically what I am describing is more indicative of introversion. I find that I often experience these withdrawal moments after going through dom-tert loops when Fe is under stress.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can understand what you mean. I think as an INFP who is extremely shy at times, and so concerned with what other people think, I can relate to what you're saying.
I don't think it's a dysfunctional thing, more of a survivalist domtert mentality/attitude resulting from being overwhelmed by the world, and as a 4w5, I can relate to that as well.

Except as an INFP, my domtert is Fi-Si which means that I hold onto intense feelings of the past through a negative detailed view of reality in the past. And through this domtert, I became even more likely to shut off a certain individual or person who exhibited certain features, and maybe even had predisposed hateful thoughts toward them because they acted like a negative character from my past. Oddly enough, one thing that cured me of negative past thoughts was to listen to music and apply it to my own past. It worked and developed my auxiliary Ne for some weird reason. I think it was because whenever I listened to music, I would always use my imagination to dream up false fantasies regarding myself that concerned other people expectations of how other people expected me to act, - like by imagining a situation where I was singing in front of people in a high school, that I was glad to have transferred from. i was clearly keeping these fantasies so i could keep my hopes up as to one day letting the negative people from the past know who i truly am. I'm theorizing that even though I viewed this as a gateway from the harshness of reality, a constant repeating dependency on negatively stimulated thoughts concerning other people's expectations (especially people from my past) actually let the domtert attitude flourish (as it connected old feelings and old memories - FiSi)

I'm not saying do the same thing, but maybe there is something that is driving the mentality that is making you feel negative now. And judging by my own experience, maybe it's related to some area of your life you find comfort in, or some area of your life that your mind goes to to get away from reality. What my mind did was lessen other people's expectations, to accumulate false fulfillment over fantasized realities which where actually connecting up negative views of the past and hence, a negative loop. What I'm saying is not easy and my viewpoint could be very subjective, but give it a try, because as a 4w5 I think I can majorly connect with this issue you're having.

And btw, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the way you feel/think as much as you think it out to be, it's all probably due to the introverted lens you are taking. Like I heard another person on this typeC say, introverts think reality is a reflection of themselves. The truth is that is exactly what makes them clear introverts. the thing is, most people consider that contemplation a strength, mainly because they can't allow themselves to think like you do, it's just the fact that you haven't been in their shoes to realize that fully. We're all a part of society whether we like it or not, and I think introverts like you and me have a unfair advantage because we can accumulate a perception of reality without even having to fully pay attention and gain energy from outside occurrences like an extrovert does. We have s major drive, and we don't even realize that.

Sorry if the iPad screwed some words over aha. :D hopefully it didn't get in the way of my pointless rambling.

S

Sniffles

I agree that what you're describing is more about the need for Introverts to recharge after being overloaded somehow, but I can still very much relate to that kind of situation. Ni-Ti loops would be more about endlessly analyzing the situation or a concept, both in healthy and non-healthy ways. In my experience, Ni-Ti loops do exhaust me considerably and I often need to withdraw and "recharge" as a result of such. So maybe that's what you were referring to.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree that what you're describing is more about the need for Introverts to recharge after being overloaded somehow, but I can still very much relate to that kind of situation. Ni-Ti loops would be more about endlessly analyzing the situation or a concept, both in healthy and non-healthy ways. In my experience, Ni-Ti loops do exhaust me considerably and I often need to withdraw and "recharge" as a result of such. So maybe that's what you were referring to.

How do you break the loop so that you can withdraw? If it's something really emotionally distressing to me, I can get stuck in one for months. With very little letup. Literally. Not nice.

S

Sniffles

How do you break the loop so that you can withdraw? If it's something really emotionally distressing to me, I can get stuck in one for months. With very little letup. Literally. Not nice.

Usually what helps me is often getting my mind focused on something else, something more external like some subject(physics, history, etc.) that deeply interests you. Also helping others with issues plaguing them helps too, since now you're focused on somebody and you gain the comfort you're not alone in dealing with troubling issues.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I honestly think that concentrating on our enneagram types is a much more reliable way of breaking negative loops.i think what we value has more to do with the way we react to stress than our
mbti. As a 6w5, is there some mentality or something in your life that leads you to distrust others, that you lean back on from time to time to comfort yourself in one way or the other?

I think judging from my experiences, that may be what deludes you away from a healthier perspective of being loyal to others and being a happier person more often.

G

Glycerine

This might be the slight extrovert preference in me but my stress reaction comes in three parts, is to detach (Ni-Ti at little to moderate levels), crave external stimulation like crazy (Fe-Se at moderate to high), detach again (Ni-Ti at high). Ni-Ti loop can be exhausting because I start to nitpick and overanalyze things that are stressing me out.

metalmommy

so ready
I find that it's more a function of my stress as opposed to a cause of the stress. I usually usually withdraw to engage my Ni-Ti loop. Then I analyze all my guts until I've boiled down my stress into something tangible that I can clearly understand & articulate.

I have been known to engage Fe-Se when under prolonged periods of moderate+ stress. More Se, honestly. Usually i'm too worn to engage Fe, so I'll indulge myself in sensual comforts...good food, a really nice drink, treating myself to something nice, etc. This way I can distract myself from the stress, feel something good, and not have to engage others (thus allowing my introverted self to recharge a bit).

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I find that it's more a function of my stress as opposed to a cause of the stress. I usually usually withdraw to engage my Ni-Ti loop. Then I analyze all my guts until I've boiled down my stress into something tangible that I can clearly understand & articulate.

I have been known to engage Fe-Se when under prolonged periods of moderate+ stress. More Se, honestly. Usually i'm too worn to engage Fe, so I'll indulge myself in sensual comforts...good food, a really nice drink, treating myself to something nice, etc. This way I can distract myself from the stress, feel something good, and not have to engage others (thus allowing my introverted self to recharge a bit).

I agree it's in the auxiliary to break the domtert mentality she's describing. Maybe also the inferior.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey guys how do TiNi loops work rather than NiTi loops, because lots of people accuse me of being an ISTP in a TiNi loop, but yet everyone focuses on INFJs and NiTi loops.

Why do NiTi INFJs get all the love? Shower some respect on the ISTPs and TiNi loops!

So, I'm asking one more time, how do TiNi loops work for ISTPs?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey guys how do TiNi loops work rather than NiTi loops, because lots of people accuse me of being an ISTP in a TiNi loop, but yet everyone focuses on INFJs and NiTi loops.

Why do NiTi INFJs get all the love? Shower some respect on the ISTPs and TiNi loops!

So, I'm asking one more time, how do TiNi loops work for ISTPs?

Looks like anxiety manifested as over-fixing. As in hypochondriasis, fixed false assumptions (Ti generating answers for weaker Ni half-truths), and even drama if Fi gets pulled in.

Basically, overthinking fed with inferior intuition, leading to possible faulty conclusions adhered to righteously and viciously.

(whereas Ni/Ti loops make intuitive leaps fed by inferior thinking, resulting in far-fetched irrational solutions or answers).

If both extraverted more, it would result in more grounded answers.

W

WALMART

Looks like anxiety manifested as over-fixing. As in hypochondriasis, fixed false assumptions (Ti generating answers for weaker Ni half-truths), and even drama if Fi gets pulled in.

Basically, overthinking fed with inferior intuition, leading to possible faulty conclusions adhered to righteously and viciously.

(whereas Ni/Ti loops make intuitive leaps fed by inferior thinking, resulting in far-fetched irrational solutions or answers).

If both extraverted more, it would result in more grounded answers.

Oh hey, almost exactly what I came in to say.

Out of curiosity, why is your type not listed as ixxj?

W

WALMART

I dunno? Because I'm not an S?

Enlighten me why you think it should be.

AGA's Signature said:
Ni/Si-Fe/Te
9w1 4w5 7w8
RCOAI
Life Path 11
~Amor Fati~

If you can exclude the T/F from your typing simply because you use both Fe and Te, the logic extends that you are neither an intuit nor a sensor, if you use Ni and Si in equal parts.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you can exclude the T/F from your typing simply because you use both Fe and Te, the logic extends that you are neither an intuit nor a sensor, if you use Ni and Si in equal parts.

I don't use it in equal parts, but I use Si. I think. :) like maybe 75/25 Ni/Si?

Whereas I'm more 55/45 F/T. Hence the reason for my inxj...

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I experience this, but I agree it looks more like introversion. Really though, it seems like you just need time to process emotions, which is probably true for everyone if their emotions are at all repressed. (Or maybe it's just how it happens with me). INFP's are said to want to be alone to process their emotions, but it also seems like if your emotions are repressed (as with many T types) you would also need time to figure them out because they are unconscious. Once again I'm not clear on the real world distinction and things are blending into each other. I was actually just thinking about this loop thing, which is why I got on here. Synchronicity. For me it doesn't exhaust my mind at all, just my body and my spirit. I just want to curl up somewhere and meditate and analyze until I figure it out. I usually end up talking to someone about it though, and then figure it out the rest of the way that way. I don't even have to be alone, just free of distractions. I don't know if my experience helps at all because it's not the same, but I'm thinking it sounds more introversion (and I'm not a strong introvert). Do you feel better sharing your feelings/thoughts about feelings with other people? That's supposed to be more typical of Fe.
I can understand what you mean. I think as an INFP who is extremely shy at times, and so concerned with what other people think, I can relate to what you're saying.
I don't think it's a dysfunctional thing, more of a survivalist domtert mentality/attitude resulting from being overwhelmed by the world, and as a 4w5, I can relate to that as well.

Except as an INFP, my domtert is Fi-Si which means that I hold onto intense feelings of the past through a negative detailed view of reality in the past. And through this domtert, I became even more likely to shut off a certain individual or person who exhibited certain features, and maybe even had predisposed hateful thoughts toward them because they acted like a negative character from my past. Oddly enough, one thing that cured me of negative past thoughts was to listen to music and apply it to my own past. It worked and developed my auxiliary Ne for some weird reason. I think it was because whenever I listened to music, I would always use my imagination to dream up false fantasies regarding myself that concerned other people expectations of how other people expected me to act, - like by imagining a situation where I was singing in front of people in a high school, that I was glad to have transferred from. i was clearly keeping these fantasies so i could keep my hopes up as to one day letting the negative people from the past know who i truly am. I'm theorizing that even though I viewed this as a gateway from the harshness of reality, a constant repeating dependency on negatively stimulated thoughts concerning other people's expectations (especially people from my past) actually let the domtert attitude flourish (as it connected old feelings and old memories - FiSi)

I'm not saying do the same thing, but maybe there is something that is driving the mentality that is making you feel negative now. And judging by my own experience, maybe it's related to some area of your life you find comfort in, or some area of your life that your mind goes to to get away from reality. What my mind did was lessen other people's expectations, to accumulate false fulfillment over fantasized realities which where actually connecting up negative views of the past and hence, a negative loop. What I'm saying is not easy and my viewpoint could be very subjective, but give it a try, because as a 4w5 I think I can majorly connect with this issue you're having.
Darn it, I can relate to almost all of this. (Will the identity crises ever end?)

And I relate to this.

Ok, I was going to write a blog post about how I experience a negative loop (if that's what it is), so I'll do that now, as it relates to this thread and identity crises.

Edit: So here it is:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/entry.php?b=2725
If anyone is interested in my messy psychology. I will not write it here.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Are you talking to me? :)

Yeah, I like talking to others most of the time. It helps me to vent and get it out. I'm very Fe. But I'm not Fe dom. Extraversion drains me.