• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] XNFPs and Knowing the "Essence" of People

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
For me, at its core it comes down to basically two things:
1) What are people expending effort towards? Liking you, not liking you, being happy, being annoyed, being frustrated, etc? Very few people dont noticably expend energy towards goals or objectives. Most people are relatively selfish or self-centered in their goals and agendas, and even fewer can withhold their expressions of how they feel.
2) What are people feeling an avoidance or aversion towards? When people dont like things, or want to avoid things, or want to ignore things, they usually display that somehow. Again, few people can hide their displeasure towards things.

3) Empathy, or the ability to recognize and understand others emotional states, goes pretty far as well.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see NFPs bigger strength being curosity, not the accuracy or the essence of someone. Most dont seem to get me at all. The y tend to "think" they know and they are usually way off base, atleast with me they are.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I call bs!

Haha no really who the hell knows what your experiences have been but! The possibility remains that you have no idea what your enfp understood about you.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't "read" TPs worth a shit and I am well aware of this :laugh:

Most people I can get an emotional "read" on... I don't presume to understand every facet of another's emotion, and I don't presume to understand all that they feel or why they feel it or what they will do about it, or anything haughty like that, but I do use people's outward emotional communication (generally nonverbal, through body language and tone) to help me gauge how best to approach and respond to them.

_Poki_ said:
I see NFPs bigger strength being curosity

I agree with this, at least for ENFPs. A great amount of this gift of getting to people's cores quickly, so to speak, is an intense interest in whatever most deeply motivates them, which for almost everyone is very strongly tied to their identity.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't "read" TPs worth a shit and I am well aware of this :laugh:

Most people I can get an emotional "read" on... I don't presume to understand every facet of another's emotion, and I don't presume to understand all that they feel or why they feel it or what they will do about it, or anything haughty like that, but I do use people's outward emotional communication (generally nonverbal, through body language and tone) to help me gauge how best to approach and respond to them.

_Poki_ said:
I see NFPs bigger strength being curosity

I agree with this, at least for ENFPs. A great amount of this gift of getting to people's cores quickly, so to speak, is an intense interest in whatever most deeply motivates them, which for almost everyone is very strongly tied to their identity.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
omg NFPs has superpowahz

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A great amount of this gift of getting to people's cores quickly, so to speak, is an intense interest in whatever most deeply motivates them, which for almost everyone is very strongly tied to their identity.

This is the NFPs biggest failure with understanding TPs. You have a better chance reading a TJ with that method.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
betta recognize!!
:nice:

To be fair, I think NFPs are the best when it comes to interpreting feelings. Essence is a bit vague though.

KDude

No one knows anything about me unless I tell them. It might be cool to witness, but I think it's up to me. Not someone else.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe istps are unreadable. I have no idea. I don't know any.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe istps are unreadable. I have no idea. I don't know any.

ISTP's are readable, they just fight it more.

Or at least they pretend they do.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I see NFPs bigger strength being curosity, not the accuracy or the essence of someone. Most dont seem to get me at all. The y tend to "think" they know and they are usually way off base, atleast with me they are.

The problem is that some ENFPs do not recognize that you guys work backwards from us. What is of importance to you, is often overlooked by us, and vice versa. Often we get the initial data and have no idea what to do with it, because we are not familiar enough yet with your make up. Doesn't mean the data isn't there though. It is like a blip on a radar...its just that we are turned around in the maze that is your brain ;)

It takes experience as you think in an unnatural way for us, whereas TJs do not. And it never really completely feels natural, even after gaining some insight. Kind of like scanning an alien brain. We have to keep in mind that the intensity of how we would experience something is often off compared to how you guys experience it, though you are experiencing *that particular thing*. It might just to have any value to you whereas we would consider it very valuable. Personality mapping in detail is even more important in TPs, ime.

This is the NFPs biggest failure with understanding TPs. You have a better chance reading a TJ with that method.

Again..thats coz for your brain we need to make an extra effort. And many ENFPs aren't even aware that this is the case, unless they do extensive research.

Make no mistake though, hon..you are perfectly 'readable' with NFP skills :smooch:

I actually relish the challenge that is an STP brain as it is *so* different from ours, and there is so much to learn.

NTPs in a way are too familiar, lulling you into a false sense of security, causing you to get turned around before you realize it :ranting:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The problem is that some ENFPs do not recognize that you guys work backwards from us. What is of importance to you, is often overlooked by us, and vice versa. Often we get the initial data and have no idea what to do with it, because we are not familiar enough yet with your make up. Doesn't mean the data isn't there though. It is like a blip on a radar...its just that we are turned around in the maze that is your brain ;)

It takes experience as you think in an unnatural way for us, whereas TJs do not. And it never really completely feels natural, even after gaining some insight. Kind of like scanning an alien brain. We have to keep in mind that the intensity of how we would experience something is often off compared to how you guys experience it, though you are experiencing *that particular thing*. It might just to have any value to you whereas we would consider it very valuable. Personality mapping in detail is even more important in TPs, ime.

Again..thats coz for your brain we need to make an extra effort. And many ENFPs aren't even aware that this is the case, unless they do extensive research.

Make no mistake though, hon..you are perfectly 'readable' with NFP skills :smooch:

I actually relish the challenge that is an STP brain as it is *so* different from ours, and there is so much to learn.

NTPs in a way are too familiar, lulling you into a false sense of security, causing you to get turned around before you realize it :ranting:

And i have become really good at hiding my intensity

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha. I love ENFP mystical powers threads.

I suppose no matter if you think we have it, getting to the essense of people is what we want. Which means that some of us eventually get good at it.

I'm not willing to risk saying that I understand the ISTP, but I do understand a particular ISTP that I've known for a while. That was a very strange process of accomplishment. The early misreads were almost comical, if not tragic.

LEGERdeMAIN

ISTP's are readable, they just fight it more.

Or at least they pretend they do.

I love reading. Reading a book with my morning coffee right now. A fluffy pillow hangs in the air and my mug is smoking, it's certainly difficult to read with so many light refractions.