I have multiple conflicting theories and thoughts bouncing around my head:
- All feeling types are good at reading people. ISFJs, ISFPs, ESFJs, ESFPs, INFJs, INFPs, ENFJs, ENFPs.
- NFs combination of intuition and feeling, coupled with a genuine interest in people makes them the best at reading people. ENFJs, INFJs, ENFPs, INFPs
- Introverted Feeling types are the best at reading people do to Fi's ability to be a bullshit/lie-detector and sense people's motivations and sincerity. INFPs, ENFPs, ISFPs, ESFPs.
- A Fi-Ne or Ne-Fi combination seems to be the most helpful at reading people. INFP, ENFP
- Introverted Intuition with it's eery "six sense" like abilities must be brilliant in this area. INFJ, ENFJ
- Are those Extraverted Feeling best at reading entire groups of people? INFJ, ENFP
- Can I really just automatically assume that thinkers have no place on this list, and those with a preference for feeling "obviously" have a place on this list? ENTPs and ESTPs are known to be extremely good with reading people.
- Each type mentioned above is extremely good at reading people, just only in certain situations or in a certain manner.
Perhaps I need to clarify the definition; what constitutes being able to read someone?
There are many, but I mean specifically that it would be meeting someone, or a group of people and being able to read them in real time, or read the dynamics within the group in real time.
I think other definitions include being able to anticipate others needs, sense unspoken words/meaning/context or really understand the essence of a person.
I would actually like to address the point I made above in red, coupled with the other definitions of "reading people" I mentioned, plus the many I forgot. I would like to hear:
- How you read people in relation to your cognitive functions, (i.e., Ni-Fe). (Preferably I'd like an in depth discussion/posts about how each type -- not limited to NFs -- are able to read people).
- How you define "reading people"
- How the order of cognitive functions change how one reads people (i.e., Ni-Fe vs Fe-Ni)
- Are there any types that automatically come to mind as being the best at reading people in general, or no?
Can't wait to hear everyone's ideas!