User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

The best I've ever seen at this in real life (not online) has been INTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    i have noticed the same with my INTJ friend, but the thing is that he often goes off by the magnitude of things. like he has weed on the table and im thinking "hmm i wonder if we are going to smoke some" and am like "that would be nice"(but dont say it), he reads me thinking "aaargh i must have weed NOW, cant bear a moment without smoking!!!". he thinks he is reading correctly, even if he later acknowledges that the magnitude was off, i think those two things(what i thought and what he perceived) are different things, he doesent. i have also noticed that he reads people quite selectively, at times not noticing the obvious to everyone else, but at times reading very subtle things that others may not notice
    Yeah - I can do that. Over-interpreting or over-analyzing sometimes and at other times noticing subtle things and missing obvious things. The latter point is really related to how much attention I'm paying though and to what extent my mind is pre-occupied with other things.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

There are people of many types I'd call good at reading people. The most skilled at predicting an individual's behavior I've met have been ENFJs. They seem to really get a good grasp at a person's emotional make up and then come up with a likely scenario of how they will behave.

I think I'm pretty good at predicting people's behavior too but in a different way. I can pick up on people's emotions too but less so. I can kind of see what I'd consider the most likely scenario of things playing out when it comes to someone and in groups how combined people's goals, needs etc. will affect the interaction and how it is likely to run it's course.
    I think what is common with ESTPs is kind of "scanning" for consistency in perception...I think many ESTPs are very good at reading people. That's why many I know are good at sales. They just take in different data I suppose. It's more now orientated. What is likely to have the highest impact if you take all the observed behavioral "data" in right now. The most instantly effective course of action. I think I'm good at seeing likelihoods in the future play out...this is concurrent with MBTI.
    I think INFJs and INTJs probably, though dom perceivers, have a very different focus in the process of reading people. I don't know what Ni+Te pays attention to. To me a person has a very distinct emotional flow I can kind of feel when I interact with them. I think it's informative. Sit next to someone and you kind of get the flow of their emotions, is it bitter, angry, sad, hostile etc. or empathic, caring, joyous and let that info meld with your perceptions and I think it's relatively easy to read people in person. That's why when I did customer service when I was young I was given the most angry and pissed off clients. I could "get" why they were pissed off and then explain matters in a way that was more to their own way of understanding the situation, be empathic or just know when to only apologize for the company. I didn't like doing it but I was very good at it.
    ENFPs I know (and INFPs I would suspect. I have no close INFP friends so it's hard to tell for me) are very good at sussing out the core character of a person, wether they are a "rotten egg" or a "great guy". They also do predictions on what possible scenarios can come of this core character.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I can be pretty good, but I tend to blow things out of proportions, usually moreso to gauge reactions and mess up my 'first impression' which more often than not tends to be the most accurate impression.

Now, if I could just accept and go with first impressions, but noooo, I have to investigate!

So as far as INTP's go, there might be the possibility perhaps, but in general, I think there's some other types completely trumping us when it comes to reading people.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I may be bragging, but I am very good at analyzing personalities. I correctly guessed all of my family members' and friends' types (they confirmed them afterwards). Then one friend described her parents and brothers to me (i had never met them before), i guessed their types, and they were confirmed. That doesn't count as reading people, does it? It's just good puzzle-piecing. But i am good at knowing what a person is like after only a minute.

MBTI
    INFP

XNFP's, or INXJ's.

I've seen "psychic" abilities with all four of these types.

My mom's an INTJ and makes a killing off her ability to read people and situations, but also being several steps ahead of everyone else.

She essentially manipulates the whole organization to flow efficiently and effectively towards common goals.

Still, I think my XNFPness would trump her talents at the poker table.

I play poker and am actually going to give it a run at going pro on my trip to Vegas in a few months.

I first learned the math, which was stupid easy, and now rely heavily on intuition.

I start at the table and get a feel for the overall atmosphere, and of each individual.

I take basic notes of everything, then allow my intuition to guide me through the hands.

Very little is consciously processed these days. The only times I've played for monies so far I've at least doubled up within an hr or two

I'm not sure exactly what's being read. The subtle cues are subconsciously processed, but the general vibe is consciously digested before hand. From there, nothing else really matters. If I see lapses in reason on the table, I know there must be a reason so I figure it out, and act accordingly.

Easy peasy!

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

fe users
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram

some combo of N and P I imagine. I'm good at analysing people when I'm given time to reflect, not quite so good in the moment.

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Oooh. What an interesting thread topic. Subscribed.

I think that ENFPs are the best at reading people with ENFJs a close second. IMHO, ENFx's are brilliant at reading people but I think an ENFP's and ENFJ's strengths (and blind spots) are a little different. For example, and ENFJ might be better at predicting specific behavior (a la dominant Fe) that a given person might exhibit. But I think an ENFP would be better at figuring out another person's internal motivations / value system (a la dominant Ne paired with aux Fi).

Also, I think ENFJs are going to be a lot more "judgey" (with their dominant rational function of Fe) than ENFPs (with their dominant perceiving function of Ne). In other words, if an ENFJ has made some bad assumptions about the other person, it's going to be a lot harder for them to change their mind and regroup based on new, more accurate observations of the other person, than if they had been an ENFP. Whereas an ENFP would be far more likely to toss out all their previous assumptions based on new incoming information. <-- This is the beauty (and pain in the ass factor) of having dominant Ne.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

ESFP - They have a better grasp of what's hot in pop culture and social rituals than any other type, as well as their keen eye for detail and the feelings of other people. This is partly why I don't like this type!